Thread: How deep of a speaker can we put in?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

How deep of a speaker can we put in?

I know our cars use 6 1/2" speakers, front and rear. But how deep of a speaker can we install? Is the limiting factor the window when it is rolled down or is it the outter door skin? So what is the maximum depth we can install?
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    in for info.

Plus, for those who havent noticed, the rear speakers seem to be a lot weaker than the fronts. If you change the fade to all rear vs all front, you'll notice...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    in for info.

Plus, for those who havent noticed, the rear speakers seem to be a lot weaker than the fronts. If you change the fade to all rear vs all front, you'll notice...
    Wich is the case is most of compact cars, i think.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is the reason why I need to know how deep of a speaker we can put in the doors.

The rear speakers I want to install are almost 3" deep while the front speakers are only about 2 1/16" deep. The rear speakers would be a midbass/woofer and will have a small, fiberglass resin coated baffle behind the speaker to help control door rattles. I also plan on putting some foam in between the door panel and the door. Eventually, these will have an amp on them and a cross over to prevent muddy sound coming from them as well as an amp on the front speakers.

My primary goal is to get really good overall sound out of the stock speaker locations. I am trying to avoid installing a sub at this point because of the limited space, even though a tricked out spare tire well enclosure has been running through my head.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have you checked Crutchfield's site?

They have a "what fits my car" feature that lets you specify front or back speakers. From those listed, you can determine the depth of the recommended speakers and compare it to those that you want to install.

If you are going to use a speaker adapter, that will add some distance to the front of the speaker, decreasing the depth that it protrudes into the door. Should be simple math to see if what you want to use will fit.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aydu For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (06-19-2014),Charlie (06-19-2014)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    Have you checked Crutchfield's site?

They have a "what fits my car" feature that lets you specify front or back speakers. From those listed, you can determine the depth of the recommended speakers and compare it to those that you want to install.

If you are going to use a speaker adapter, that will add some distance to the front of the speaker, decreasing the depth that it protrudes into the door. Should be simple math to see if what you want to use will fit.

That is a GREAT idea!! So I pulled up Crutchfield, and they show the speaker that I want for the front as not fitting (Infinity Primos PR6502is). However, the component version of those speakers (Infinity Primus PR6500cs) the site shows that they will fit. Well, the tweeter on the coax speaker BARELY sticks out(we're talking less than 1/4"), but both speakers have the same top mount depth and the same cut out diameter. I think I'll call them tomorrow and fine out why one fits and the other doesn't.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Whenever you replace the speakers, please include a tutorial on how to do so...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Crutchfield is an awesome site! I myself am eyeing an upgrade on the front door speakers as well.

Was wondering if anyone had already done the upgrade already to report on the stock speaker build quality/sound comparison vs aftermarket. I am also curious about the same thing about the head unit, and if it up to the task of providing enough juice. My suspicion is that the stock head unit is fine in this regard and switching out the head unit would just be for getting features not present on the stock one.

VERY leery in regards to getting a double DIN touchscreen model..not sure I want to install a thief magnet to my car..

-Charlie-

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Crutchfield is AWESOME!!

I just got off the phone with them and here's the info that I found.

The limiting factor on installing coax speakers into our cars, WITH THE PROPER MOUNTING ADAPTOR, is the tweeter height. The rep told me that the clearance there is 0.587" while the Infinity speakers I want are 0.77" height because of the tweeter. The rep told me that there are a LOT more options if I go smaller on the front speakers to a 5 1/4" instead of a 6 1/2", plus the speakers are cheaper too.

On the rear speakers, he told me that with using the proper mounting adaptors, there is 3.24" of depth available which is more than enough to mount the 6 1/2" woofers!!

Now, I have not taken my door panel off yet, but on some vehicles, you can trim down some plastic in front of the speaker in order to get more clearance. I have no idea if you can do that to our cars or not.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

MysticMirage (06-19-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good info! Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)