Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage / MPG achievements (with optional MPG computer pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    "51... and having fun"?
    Averaged between 45 and 55mph on some winding roads and flowing back roads. Typically when I am out with friends and we are really going for it I still get around 40mpg.

Oh I wasn't doubting you! Just proposing a new slogan.

It's more fun and fuel efficient NOT to brake for the curves.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Emizel (08-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20170821_024339.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  89.8 KB

My best so far
    -
    Death is the final unknown

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rndeleon1988 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (08-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do a long downhill coast and zero out the MPG at the start. After the coasting, when it has reached an impossibly high mpg number, put it in gear and start driving again with the camera ready. As the MPG counts down, snap a picture at the desired MPG.

It was very disheartening to discover how to make the mpg read anything you want, at that point I just deleted all my proud mpg pictures. With my 5 speed, worn OEM tires with their minimal rolling resistance, and the sympathetic geography around here, I could crack the 60's...And mid / upper 50's were commonplace.

Please don't take this as a comment on the posts here now, I had been perplexed by some very high MPG pictures I'd seen some time ago.
    Last edited by WhiteMirage; 08-22-2017 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Clarify

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.7 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMirage View Post
    It was very disheartening to discover how to make the mpg read anything you want
    But it's kinda fun.

With something like a daily commute, it can be helpful to see what the display registers at the end of the drive and try to improve with each day.

It can be useful, it can be fun, and it can be both.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMirage View Post
    Do a long downhill coast and zero out the MPG at the start. After the coasting, when it has reached an impossibly high mpg number, put it in gear and start driving again with the camera ready. As the MPG counts down, snap a picture at the desired MPG.

It was very disheartening to discover how to make the mpg read anything you want, at that point I just deleted all my proud mpg pictures. With my 5 speed, worn OEM tires with their minimal rolling resistance, and the sympathetic geography around here, I could crack the 60's...And mid / upper 50's were commonplace.

Please don't take this as a comment on the posts here now, I had been perplexed by some very high MPG pictures I'd seen some time ago.
    i'm very happy with my MPG's. Over 36,000 miles of meticulous fuel records. Check my fuel log.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/em-fuel...vehicleid=7358

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just for fun.Name:  20170822_181227.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  92.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.7 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteMirage For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-23-2017),fanfare (08-14-2021),MetroMPG (12-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    i'm very happy with my MPG's. Over 36,000 miles of meticulous fuel records. Check my fuel log.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/em-fuel...vehicleid=7358
    Very interesting how flat it is ! Mine rides the seasonal roller coaster. I was hoping for an honest 40+mpg car, so I'm very happy.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    I'm not sure how many miles you have on your vehicle but if you're getting close to 30k, then I would get the CVT fluid serviced of you have one. Get the engine air filter replaced too. Make sure you have the proper inflation in your tires. If you're using the AC make sure recirculate is on. Also make sure your e-brake isn't engaged and none of your brakes are rubbing. You could also get your battery checked. I know after one year my dealer found that my battery was testing very poor this causes your alternator to work overtime stressing your engine. One last thing ethanol fuel has a shelf life of three to four months. If you have old fuel in your car it will make it run like crap. So will very short trips as it doesn't charge your battery enough and eventually kills it.
    So I have had the CVT oil and regular oil changed by my mechanic, and just bought some other parts to do some other maintenance next week, including the air filter (blessings be upon rockauto). There was definitely an change in mileage with the CVT oil change, but the cold weather readings in hot weather was still consistent. He suggested that the sensor is likely caked with carbon and there are sprays you can run through your system to clean it off somewhat. I'm inclined to believe him; I do very often run the car to empty. I will have to look into that more closely, but has anyone else heard of or dealt with such a thing? What did you do?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I changed the CVT oil in my Mirage it was black and thick. I feel like you should change that one early after you buy one new. It runs much better after you change it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-13-2017)