Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Thread: Gas mileage / MPG achievements (with optional MPG computer pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I hear what you're saying. And I do think you have a good point. 80 mph = 4,057 rpm

However, 80 mph is probably the fastest I would ever set my cruise control. And the max torque of these engines is in the 4,000 to 4,100 rpm range. So, even though that is a lot of rpm, this engine just purrrrrs along at that rpm. It's not the quietest engine ever, but the sound of the engine is so pleasant at that rpm, it doesn't feel pushed. On the positive side, I haven't met a hill on the interstate yet that would cause the car to lose speed with the cruise set at 80 mph. And to pull even the steepest hills (in my area), the engine doesn't scream, it just runs the same pleasant rpm and just grunts it out.

I generally drive slow these days, as I like achieving high mpg while the lifted F250s and QX80s go blowing on by me, blowing through their gas. However, a couple years ago I took 2 of my 3 sons to Knoxville and back in the Mirage. I didn't want them to get uncomfortable or be miserable so I set the cruise right around 80 mph in order to knock that trip out as quickly as I felt comfortable doing so. My sons aren't tiny and neither am I. 3 of us, their luggage it was nearly fully loaded (probably was fully loaded based on GVW). The car never flinched at any hills. Max torque at 80 mph works nicely for hills. And the mpg was about 38 for that round trip. My 2004 Corolla 5 speed was a heckuva car. But doing the same exact trip, it would have been about 31 mpg.

Prior to purchasing a Mirage, that was one of the questions I had for the collective here. I was concerned the car may tend to lose speed pulling hills on the interstate. The collective assured me it would not. And they were very correct. It just purrs a little louder pulling hills. I would rather the engine purr louder versus scream at near max rpm. I don't know if the CVT hits max rpm pulling hills on the interstate, but I'd be willing to be it pulls more than 4,000 rpm on hills on the interstate. I'd rather have the steady rpm.

You know the Mirage is a good solid car, when your 19 year old son uses the Mirage for the summer (versus his 290 hp Infiniti G35, 6 speed) and comes and tells you the Mirage is growing on him. But, we all know this already!
    Surprisingly the CVT doesn't rev it out that much up hills, Pulling steep hills at 70mph itl bring it up to about 2800-3000rpm, But it doesn't really rev it out unless i hold the accelerate button on the cruise, It'l kick it up to 4000-4200rpm then but in normal driving with the cruise set its never really gone past 3500rpm at max to hold 70-80 up hill on the interstate with the AC on. Its very smooth with the changes. The other reason i went for the CVT is construction and stop and go traffic. I spend a lot of time creeping home from work and that got very annoying in the 5 speed and made me worry about clutch longevity lol. I've put 3,500 miles on it in 40 days and so far, its been amazing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 45.5 mpg (US) ... 19.4 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.7 mpg (Imp)

My 94' firechicken would rev pretty low on the highway. It had the panty dropper 5000 6 speed(t56 with 5th and 6th both being overdrives and car had 3.42 gears) Attachment 23932Attachment 23933

But in my current welfare wagon mirage, I found the rpm vs speed similar to what MrMPG posted.
    Last edited by Fummins; 07-11-2022 at 07:59 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,008 Posts
    You shoulda kept that firechicken...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by precisionxt View Post
    I never thought about the additional friction of the CVT.
    The manual car even has a smaller lower grille opening than the CVT - at least it did in 14/15. It doesn't need as much cooling.

So even though the CVT engine is turning a lot slower, it's burning close to the same amount of fuel as a manual. At some speeds it may be a bit better, at others a bit worse:

Name:  graph-speed-mpg-mirage-cvt-5mt.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  62.3 KB

Thread: Speed vs. mpg/mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd and CVT

But in real-world (not just steady-speed) driving, the 5-speed cars are noticeably more efficient.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-12-2022),Mark (07-11-2022),mohammad (07-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    You shoulda kept that firechicken...
    Yeah I know....Was in really good shape when I sold it to some kid that admitted he was just gonna go and beat the crap out of it. Had no rust(was originally from Florida) and only had 80,000 miles on it. I hate thinking about all the crap I sold and what I could sell it for today. But I had nowhere to store anything at the time and needed money for kids daycare. Stupid priorities.

I also shoulda kept my 16'car hauler and my 12?' utilitly trailer and my Samurai, and 79 Bronco, and fummins.....I asked my buddy about getting back my 86' bronco that I "built" then lost interest and kinda forgot about it for 20 years...He crushed it a couple of weeks ago. For the better, I don't need any more junk.

Back on topic(sorta), I'll be making a real effort to see what kinda mileage I can get out of the truck heading out glamping this Friday. Our first trip out with this setup I got around 7-8mpg. Gonna do something unheard of and turn the programmer down from race mode(or whatever it is called) and try towing or economy! I'm sure my clutch and egt's will thank me.

I just realized with all the money I blew on a new side-by-side, used toy hauler, used diesel truck and my used Mirage...I almost could have had a Tesla paid off by now.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-12-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_2829.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  102.8 KB
    Personal all time best for me, was driving 60-70kmph tires are 185/65/14 so 4.9% larger than stock adjusted for tire size that would make it 4.2 L/100km. Good but not really comparable to the numbers shown in MetroMpg's photo above.

This was also done at 3am basically without stopping or using the brakes. I think my dreams of hypermileing aren't exactly coming true.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I never even noticed that you could get this car without a tachometer. what kind of cost savings is that?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

^ News to me, too. Interesting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I never even noticed that you could get this car without a tachometer. what kind of cost savings is that?
    It must be the "Ultra Poverty" model not available here in North America.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-14-2022)