Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage / MPG achievements (with optional MPG computer pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fanfare View Post
    So far it's been my best achievement. But it was not without people shouting at me and flipping me the finger along the way and trucks wanting to drive over me from behind. I admit sometimes I would shut the engine off on some of the long downhills. But yes, CVT. And no cruise control. My main eye was on maintaining low RPMs as much as I could.
    I think you set the bar higher for some manual Mirage driver to overcome, but it won't be me! I like going with the flow to much!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With the warmer weather in the PNW I was able to get ~57mpg doing a full loop of the Puget Sound. That's with a CVT cruising @ 55mph. Cruise control ends up keeping the thing at ~1700rpm the whole time. No funny tricks with shutting the engine off or pulsing the accelerator.

I've had this car about a year now and it continues to do new things to impress me every time I drive it. It's almost unbelievable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    With the warmer weather in the PNW I was able to get ~57mpg doing a full loop of the Puget Sound. That's with a CVT cruising @ 55mph. Cruise control ends up keeping the thing at ~1700rpm the whole time. No funny tricks with shutting the engine off or pulsing the accelerator.

I've had this car about a year now and it continues to do new things to impress me every time I drive it. It's almost unbelievable.
    How many miles on your Mirage? Many owners report improved fuel efficiency after break-in.

What you have is very much in line with reasonable driving habits too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    How many miles on your Mirage? Many owners report improved fuel efficiency after break-in.

What you have is very much in line with reasonable driving habits too.
    I have about 8.5K miles on the car so far after a year of ownership. I recently bought a Honda Super Cub, so I only really use the Mirage for weekend jaunts anymore. At this rate, I will probably hit the time limit on the 10 year/100K mile warranty long before I hit the distance limit.

Interesting to hear about the break in period, though. I was maxxing out at the listed 42/43 mpg when I first got the car new. If you're saying that the break in period ends up regularly pushing that to 55+ mpg then that'd be super awesome.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I have about 8.5K miles on the car so far after a year of ownership. I recently bought a Honda Super Cub, so I only really use the Mirage for weekend jaunts anymore. At this rate, I will probably hit the time limit on the 10 year/100K mile warranty long before I hit the distance limit.
    I’m in the same boat. After five years of ownership I haven’t yet hit 40,000 miles.

Interesting to hear about the break in period, though. I was maxxing out at the listed 42/43 mpg when I first got the car new. If you're saying that the break in period ends up regularly pushing that to 55+ mpg then that'd be super awesome.
    Well, there’s a lot of factors that play into regularly hitting those numbers. I’m sure there’s some folks that can do it. I’m not able to due to cold weather and short commutes. But with careful driving these cars are capable of some great fuel economy numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Down in the dirty south in mid-August, it is difficult to NOT use the A/C. It is sweltering down here at this time. I have to use it from about 11 am to 6 pm. After the sun starts dropping I wind up with the windows down. Lately my commutes are generally short, around town, with A/C. The mpg suffers. I honestly believe the A/C pulls the mpg down 3 or 4 mpg.

I had to make a (2nd) trip to the other side of Atlanta last night. It was late enough I could drop the 2 left windows and enjoy a warm breeze (not a hot breeze). And just cruised the interstate at 65 - 70 mph (no A/C). Under those circumstances, my car get's upper 40's to maybe 50 mpg. I had to put dinosaur juice in it on the north side. Average for the tank, 44.5 mpg. Not bad at all. From where I added dinosaur juice to home (about 50 miles), I averaged 53.1 mpg on the display, which I figure is (53.1 x 0.924 = ) 49.0 mpg. Darn good.

I have about 10,800 miles on the car in 10 months. It was slamming on quicker. But the last few months it has slowed down. I'm hoping to make 100,000 miles and 10 years happen simultaneously.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Anyone with a CVT Mirage that drives lots of 40-45 MPH speeds? If so, what kind of mileage does it get at those speeds. I've got the same CVT in my Versa and lots of my driving is secondary roads with high deer population. Since I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere, the current tank I've tried to keep the c/c set at 40 MPH as much as possible and right now my calibrated Ultra Gauge is showing 59.5 MPG tank average if I recall correctly. I think the factory display is showing something like 65 MPG but it's always several MPG optimistic. So far I've been between 550-600 miles on this tank and the fuel gauge is still showing about 5/16ths of a tank. The reason I can get so many miles out of a tank is because I top it off until I can see fuel in the filler neck which is usually 1-2 gallons after initial cutoff. By topping off I'm usually somewhere between 100-150 miles before the first LED bar goes off on the fuel gauge. If I wanted to run the tank low I could probably make 650-700 miles on this tank. I don't like running the tank too low in case I'd need to go somewhere late at night when there are no stations open, so, I'll probably fill up within the next 25 miles or so. I usually try to fill up when I get down around 1/4 tank.

Edit:
    I filled the tank in the Versa yesterday (8/22) with 10.002 gallons at 589.2 miles for a tank average of 58.908 MPG. The gauge was still showing 3/16 of a tank but I suspect it would soon have dropped to 1/8.
    Last edited by 2016 Versa; 08-24-2021 at 12:45 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Climatic and traffic conditions must have been perfect. Yesterday morning I got 58.4 mpg average on my 80 mile commute with the roof racks on. The last two weeks I have hauled a kayak, surf board, bike and a giant shop fan on the racks. I'm going to keep them on because taking them on and off is a pain and risks scratching paint. And they are too long to store easy in the vehicle.

I was having fun chasing ultimate MPGs but if I can best epa estimates (45.0 mpg on a 50ish mile drive) with a surfboard on the roof, it's worth having the roof racks on and ready to go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Versa View Post
    Anyone with a CVT Mirage that drives lots of 40-45 MPH speeds? If so, what kind of mileage does it get at those speeds. I've got the same CVT in my Versa and lots of my driving is secondary roads with high deer population. Since I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere, the current tank I've tried to keep the c/c set at 40 MPH as much as possible and right now my calibrated Ultra Gauge is showing 59.5 MPG tank average if I recall correctly. I think the factory display is showing something like 65 MPG but it's always several MPG optimistic. So far I've been between 550-600 miles on this tank and the fuel gauge is still showing about 5/16ths of a tank. The reason I can get so many miles out of a tank is because I top it off until I can see fuel in the filler neck which is usually 1-2 gallons after initial cutoff. By topping off I'm usually somewhere between 100-150 miles before the first LED bar goes off on the fuel gauge. If I wanted to run the tank low I could probably make 650-700 miles on this tank. I don't like running the tank too low in case I'd need to go somewhere late at night when there are no stations open, so, I'll probably fill up within the next 25 miles or so. I usually try to fill up when I get down around 1/4 tank.

Edit:
    I filled the tank in the Versa yesterday (8/22) with 10.002 gallons at 589.2 miles for a tank average of 58.908 MPG. The gauge was still showing 3/16 of a tank but I suspect it would soon have dropped to 1/8.
    I do, but with the AC on low all time and some cheap Brillantis2 175 65 r14 tires that a really grippy, but def drops my mpg down to 4 or 5 mpg. Plus I have to drive fast in my city, if you don't you will get in a wreck, so I'm a little harder on the throttle than a hypermiller on here. Overall, with my commute being on city streets and parkways I'm averaging 37 mpg combined each week.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought the Rostra cruise control might actually hurt my mileage. But I was wrong. I got 59.5mpg this morning on my commute with the roof racks on. Granted, it was a holiday with empty roads and I got away with going 52mph in 65mph zones. But that's still my best with roof racks. Second morning in Florida not needing AC. that's a change.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Casey For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-06-2021)