Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage / MPG achievements (with optional MPG computer pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    What does a mapping program say about the trip distance, and how does it compare with your odometer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    anything is impossible.
    Not sure if this was mistyped but I like it. We can make it our mission statement.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

Not sure if this was mistyped but I like it. We can make it our mission statement.

Thanks, I fixed that! That was my subconscious telling me 70 mpg is impossible rather than admitting anything is POSSIBLE!

My brain & fingers don't always work right. Typing was my worst grade in high school.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dunno, mate. I told you everything I know. I also checked it at the pump.

Pump supports it, and it's not like I drive hundreds of miles on a regular basis to be able to easily check. On a normal week I actually only drive about 30 miles.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit - Just realized I could switch the display to metric units then do the math to see if it's imperial or US gallons. Wouldn't require driving super far to overcome variance in pump shutoff levels. I will do that next time I drive the car. Probably this weekend.
    Last edited by PityOnU; 09-08-2021 at 08:21 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Consider that your gauge is calculating distance wrong rather than fuel consumed? Surely the pump is accurate, just wondering about the other factor of the equation. For example what is a British mile compared to North America?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-09-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    For example what is a British mile compared to North America?
    A British mile is the distance the average Londoner can travel without a stop for dunking crumpers and eating tea.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Dunno, mate. I told you everything I know. I also checked it at the pump.

Pump supports it, and it's not like I drive hundreds of miles on a regular basis to be able to easily check. On a normal week I actually only drive about 30 miles.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit - Just realized I could switch the display to metric units then do the math to see if it's imperial or US gallons. Wouldn't require driving super far to overcome variance in pump shutoff levels. I will do that next time I drive the car. Probably this weekend.
    That'd make more sense. 70mpg imperial is 59mpg (US).

My lie-o-meter showed that I got 4.2l/100km(56mpg(US))/(67mpg imperial) by the time I pulled off the freeway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

For example what is a British mile compared to North America?
    A mile is a mile. It doesn't matter where you are.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    A mile is a mile. It doesn't matter where you are.
    Then maybe it’s programmed for nautical miles - can’t tell from here. lol

Edit: See, this is what happens when I don’t look stuff up on Wikipedia haha.
    Last edited by Eggman; 09-08-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The real underlying question here is where the actual unit conversion is being done. You would expect it would be done by the ECU, with the gauge cluster just acting as a display (think: your computer monitor vs your actual computer), because that would make for part swapping back and forth on what is very much a global car very easy for the manufacturers.

I had verified the settings in ETACS after the swap (there are configurations in there for imperial vs US gallons), and things were still configured correctly there. I also did my pen and paper pump calculation using the distance reported by Google maps, not the odometer. However, if the latter were incorrect I think I would have bigger problems than just overinflated numbers.

The speedometer is accurate short of a +2mph offset which is apparently a thing in either UK (or maybe European cars in general), as instead of a 5mph tolerance either way as in the United States, their laws prohibit a speedometer ever showing slower than the vehicle is actually travelling.

Gonna have to wait it out, though, gents. In the meantime, we're just a bunch of dummies sitting around, pretending we know how the vast array of sensors and computer modules that make up a modern vehicle actually work.

If it is indeed imperial gallons, it would be nice to know so I can work to bring things back in line (fiddle with settings somewhere), and it wouldn't surprise me too much as yes, those numbers are indeed kooky. However, I have already attempted some amount of due diligence, so please give me some credit there I do actively try not to post incorrect info.

In any case: this weekend... ALL WILL BE REVEALED!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-08-2021)

Then maybe it’s programmed for nautical miles - can’t tell from here. lol

Edit: See, this is what happens when I don’t look stuff up on Wikipedia haha.
    I assumed you meant "gallons" not miles. Or something.

Whenever I compare "mpg" with my 60 whatever year old dad I always use US mpg and he uses imperial. That makes for some good arguments. I use US mpg cause who tf in north america uses imperial gallons?...other than 60+ y/o Canadians?