Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Gas mileage / MPG achievements (with optional MPG computer pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,028 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Versa View Post
    ...if there's room to increase wheel/tire size without rubbing issues that will give you slight taller gearing.
    I've been running 185-60-15 tires for a few months now. This might be the tallest tire that will fit on a stock suspension Mirage without rubbing. These tires are like having a mini-overdrive gear. They will net you about a 200 RPM drop at 60mph.

I haven't had them on long enough to make any conclusions, but they seem to be doing pretty well for me right now and they're still brand new. Once the weather warms up, it will be interesting to see how what kind of mpg numbers I can get out of them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.1 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I just want a hardware idea that I haven't thought of yet.
    <snip>
    My daily commute is ~3.5 miles each way.
    A bicycle?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.1 mpg (US) ... 23.4 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 66.2 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-15-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not bicycle friendly roads, or weather.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.1 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Not bicycle friendly roads, or weather.
    Yeah, sometimes commuting by bicycle is a matter of will. Weather can be dealt with.

Making the jump from a steel cage to a vulnerable bicycle takes a certain amount of guts especially if one is accustomed to driving a huge masculine truck. Wouldn’t it be something if all truck drivers had to commute by bike at least once a week? Ho boy that’s a good one.

Regarding bicycles sometimes the best route is not the direct route. It is the one form of transportation that truly benefits humanity with improved health.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.7 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,580 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yeah, sometimes commuting by bicycle is a matter of will. Weather can be dealt with.

Making the jump from a steel cage to a vulnerable bicycle takes a certain amount of guts especially if one is accustomed to driving a huge masculine truck. Wouldn’t it be something if all truck drivers had to commute by bike at least once a week? Ho boy that’s a good one.

Regarding bicycles sometimes the best route is not the direct route. It is the one form of transportation that truly benefits humanity with improved health.

No comment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I wish I could still ride a bike. I injured my back 21 years ago, I think I've ridden a bicycle about a 1/2 miles since and when I got back home my back was hurting so bad I could hardly walk in the house. As a child I road my bicycle everywhere. I had a speedometer/odometer on my bike and between the ages of about 12-15 I think I racked up about 6K miles. During the summertime when I wasn't in school 25-50 miles a day wasn't a bit uncommon.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I can relate to this post. I use to bike all the time, all over the place. Trails and roads. Maybe not that many miles in a day, but I wasn't counting. My bike was my main form of transportation when I was younger.

Some time in the mid 20s I took a big spill over a curb... ended up needing 7 stitches across my chin, lost 2 teeth that day. I haven't been into biking much since.

On the topic of fuel economy, my new Hankook winter tires are returning around 5.6 L / 100 km's according to my trip computer's reading. That's pretty good. So close to the same on my winters in the winter, as my all-seasons in the winter. And the winters absorb more, making for a softer ride.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.8 mpg (US) ... 17.8 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.2 mpg (Imp)