Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage / MPG achievements (with optional MPG computer pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We broke the Fummins.

Simplify and add lightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    We broke the Fummins.
    I've always been broken. I usually watch the eco meter in whatever I drive but I don't go out of my way to get max economy. This morning was weird, it was showing better than usual numbers early on even though I let it idle for a few minutes(which I never do) and got stuck at 4 red lights. It was warm outside though at 2C / 35F .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The dash computer in my Versa is very optimistic. It usually reports 4-6MPG better than the math figures. I've seen the dash computer reporting as high as 61-62MPG tank average. I noticed today the tank average on the tank I'm currently running said 56.1 MPG, I suspect in reality it's 49-49.5. I'll probably fill up tomorrow so then I'll know how bad it lied to me. I've got an Ultra Gauge in the Versa and since I got it calibrated it's usually +/- 1MPG of actual MPG. I wonder if manufacturers do this to make people who never actually do the math think their car gets great mileage? It seems nearly all of them that I've heard and read about over report mileage.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbrewsky View Post
    Ugh. Took 300-mile trip on the highway going the speed limit of 75 MPH and couldn't break 36 MPG. But it was nice to have cruise control in this 2020 that I didn't have in my 2014.
    Look at it this way you're still getting twice the mileage of a truck/suv.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Fairly true. In my old school 24V Cummins, cruising at 75 mph, it is achieving 18.5 - 19.5 mpg. And that is on the high side of trucks like mine will do. Most are lower. A large percentage is significantly lower than what my truck achieves.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Fairly true. In my old school 24V Cummins, cruising at 75 mph, it is achieving 18.5 - 19.5 mpg. And that is on the high side of trucks like mine will do. Most are lower. A large percentage is significantly lower than what my truck achieves.
    Yup, them is good on fuel. My 99' fummins with 37" tires got better economy at that speed than a buddies 2015 ecoboost f150. He followed me into the city one day, we both filled up before we left and again when we stopped 3hrs later. His truck took a little more than mine. And I had a rzr in the back of mine.

I've gotten as good as 19.7 mpg for an entire tank in my current 05 crew cab 4x4 dually when I was commuting across the city everyday. Managed to get 1000km/ 621 miles on that tank, but I wasn't going much over 65mph. I don't think the wife gets much more than 20mpg from her v6 sorento.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't think the wife gets much more than 20mpg from her v6 sorento.
    Same for my sister and her Sorento. And the 4 cylinder *might get 2 mpg better, but is a real dawg to drive. It's power is not so bad, but to get to the power, it has to down shift to (seemingly) first gear on the interstate and scream at 30,000 rpm to do it. It is annoying. The H-K V6 performs effortlessly in the Sorento/Santa Fe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm curious. In a stock ES with 5 speed manual such as mine (and many others), what might be the first best thing to do to increase mpg? This idea is besides driving habits. MPG driving skill is an art. Some have it, some don't. So, besides the human touch, what would be the 1st best idea?

I'm running the stock Dunlop Neversaves. Maybe blowing them up to 40+ psi? Maybe removing the right side wiper that sticks up so high (don't care about wiping the right side anyway)? I drive with the car empty, but not willing to remove the spare. Could be desperately needed. Removing a mirror could be problematic... After these ideas, I sort of hit a roadblock. And that's ok, the car is super-efficient in stock form. But it never hurts to consider.

Airing up the tires would probably help a bit.

Has anyone tried rolling around on 4 mini spares yet?

I wonder if a grille block could help some, but being in hotlanta that might not be a great idea without a temp gauge?

Hot air intake?

Metrompg has done some mods to his car and is able to get ridiculous numbers out of it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    In a stock ES with 5 speed manual...what might be the first best thing to do to increase mpg?
    Run as much tire pressure as you are comfortable with. The max inflation pressure of an Enasave is 44 PSI. I run 50 PSI in my tires (but they aren't Enasaves). Make sure your tires are wearing evenly. If they aren't, get an alignment. A manual transmission Mirage can coast forever if it's set up properly.

If you're hauling around 400 lbs of concrete in your back seat, take it out.

Don't worry about extreme stuff like weight reduction or aero mods until you are convinced that you can't improve your fuel mileage any more than what you are getting now. My car has no aero mods (I do a grill block in the winter). Weight reduction? I'm dragging around an extra 40 lbs of aftermarket stereo in my car every day.

The reality is your driving situations and environment are going to dictate your mpg potential. You aren't going to get 50mpg consistently in a Mirage doing delivery work, constant city (stop and go) driving, driving up and down mountains, etc. Same thing if you are on the freeway all the time driving 80mph.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)