Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage / MPG achievements (with optional MPG computer pics)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Versa View Post
    You need to do your odometer correction in order to get accurate MPG numbers. According to a tire size calculator the tire size you're running is 5.8% larger diameter than OE. Without doing the tire size correction it's possible the mpg would figure lower than with the original size tires.
    I'm going to have to 2nd the motion on this one. 2016 Versa has this stuff "figgerd out." I'm likely more OCD than he, and so far he and I are in lock-step as it relates to the numbers games.

About the bicycle thing. The stink of it is, where I live is very bicycle friendly. There are bike paths and I can get to where I work on maybe 90% bike paths. But, just like Shrek, I am built the same, but smell twice as bad. If I were to ride a bike to work, I would downright stank so bad, I wouldn't be allowed in a meeting room. Plus, it would turn my 5 minute commute into a 30 minute workout. Lardass dinosaurs don't like 30 minute workouts.

Another note. I just happen to have an old crusty mountain bike. I think mountain bike folk must think they are very good bikes. Maybe they're good for storming downhill on single track trails, dunno. I've had this bike for a while, but it is in good shape. Since 2015 my youngest son has been racing BMX. Any time I ride anywhere, any terrain, any elevation, uphill, downhill, it doesn't matter ... his BMX bike is so much more efficient and effective. I was shocked. We rode across town, and I figured since I had umpteen gears, his single speed bike would get whomped. But I was WAY WRONG. The simplicity of his BMX bike rules. His bike gives away very little energy. And is geared to provide top speed at as fast as his legs can go (lots of math in bmx gearing that many are not aware). I would say that his top speed on asphalt with his bmx bike (straight level pedaling) is probably 35 mph ... enough to get a person kilt if they come off and hit something solid. But can still out accelerate my bike up any steep hill from a stop. Whatever energy he exerts into effectively translates into motion. Not true on a mountain bike with a suspension. I raced a BMX bike for a year too, got in decent shape, then had to help my mom and dad when my mother got sick (and died). Now I'm back at full-moose lardass. I'm thinking about buying my own custom bmx bike and getting back in better shape.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (01-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    About the bicycle thing. The stink of it is, where I live is very bicycle friendly. There are bike paths and I can get to where I work on maybe 90% bike paths. But, just like Shrek, I am built the same, but smell twice as bad. If I were to ride a bike to work, I would downright stank so bad, I wouldn't be allowed in a meeting room. Plus, it would turn my 5 minute commute into a 30 minute workout. Lardass dinosaurs don't like 30 minute workouts.
    I'm with you on this one, my dude. I used to bike to work (about 6 miles each way) every day when I lived in Silicon Valley. It was only possible because the company I worked for (Intel) had an on-campus gym and shower. Could never imagine biking to work without that. I was absolutely drenched in sweat by the time I showed up every day, regardless of weather.

I do miss that a little bit because life was so cheap and I ended up being so fit. It does wonders for your mental health, as well. Maybe once COVID wraps and things start opening up again I'll see if my current employer has something similar.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Relocate. Move uphill from work and save the workout for the ride home. Simple, eh?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Got this once I got to work Attachment 21145 to the metric impaired that’s 54.7mpg. I last filled up with 10 & 20l Jerry cans that weren’t filled completely. this tank is showing I’ll get 700km on this tank.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-06-2021 at 06:29 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Nice!! Chinook tailwind? That must be a trip record.

I keep forgetting to switch my display over to MPG. I'm using L/100 km now, but MPG is more motivating as you get more efficient (much higher resolution than LHK, so more feedback).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not only is MPG more motivating, but nobody down here has a clue what 4.3 L/1000KM is. Looks like something I'd see on the side of a beaker with some weird green boiling chemical in it. Either that or reads like some horrible mpg. Can't you do any better than 4.3? Dang that's low!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-06-2021)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    nobody down here has a clue what 4.3 L/1000KM is
    I'll tell you. 4.3L/1000km is 547 mpg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Mark (05-06-2021),MetroMPG (05-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    I want one of those!

This is probably why Americans never went totally metric. Those darn decimal points!

Actually, I wish we were metric. That should have happened 50 years ago.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    See what I mean? I didn't even know I messed up the units. I don't even know what a killermeter is, let alone a thousand of them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    See what I mean? I didn't even know I messed up the units. I don't even know what a killermeter is, let alone a thousand of them.
    kilo means 1000
    1 km = 1000 meters

Since we do miles/gallon, they could at least do kilometer/liter for us?

I can visualize km/liter better than liters/100km.