Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage / MPG achievements (with optional MPG computer pics)

Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    The real underlying question here is where the actual unit conversion is being done. You would expect it would be done by the ECU, with the gauge cluster just acting as a display (think: your computer monitor vs your actual computer), because that would make for part swapping back and forth on what is very much a global car very easy for the manufacturers.

I had verified the settings in ETACS after the swap (there are configurations in there for imperial vs US gallons), and things were still configured correctly there. I also did my pen and paper pump calculation using the distance reported by Google maps, not the odometer. However, if the latter were incorrect I think I would have bigger problems than just overinflated numbers.

The speedometer is accurate short of a +2mph offset which is apparently a thing in either UK (or maybe European cars in general), as instead of a 5mph tolerance either way as in the United States, their laws prohibit a speedometer ever showing slower than the vehicle is actually travelling.

Gonna have to wait it out, though, gents. In the meantime, we're just a bunch of dummies sitting around, pretending we know how the vast array of sensors and computer modules that make up a modern vehicle actually work.

If it is indeed imperial gallons, it would be nice to know so I can work to bring things back in line (fiddle with settings somewhere), and it wouldn't surprise me too much as yes, those numbers are indeed kooky. However, I have already attempted some amount of due diligence, so please give me some credit there I do actively try not to post incorrect info.

In any case: this weekend... ALL WILL BE REVEALED!
    If you did indeed get 70mpg then I imagine Metrompg is gonna be pretty pissed after all the work and effort he does to get close to that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I use US mpg cause who tf in north america uses imperial gallons?...other than 60+ y/o Canadians?
    I use Imperial, I'm Canadian & not 60 years old (Yet )
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-09-2021)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    In any case: this weekend... ALL WILL BE REVEALED!
    Any news on this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Any news on this?
    Eh, yes and no.

Turns out, to change from MPG to km/l, you need to hold the gauge cluster button for 5 seconds. Holding the gauge cluster button for 2 seconds resets the recorded stats. So my idea of converting one unit to the other kind of gets thrown out the window there.

That being said, I did drive around a bit with the gauge set to km/l, though, and never really saw any numbers above maybe 24km/l. 70mpg US would be 30km/l. 70mpg imperial would be 24km/l. So it would seem that there is indeed some setting in the cluster itself to display USA vs imperial gallons, as the readings I got in terms of km/l are more in line with the latter than the former.

The explanation as for why the pump supported the 70mpg as I read it may have just come down to differences in sensitivity for the pump's cutoff mechanism, and the fact that even after driving for 2 hours the difference in the amount of gas used by the car between imperial and USA units would only come out to like .3 gallons. That's the only thing I can think of w.r.t. that.

Frustratingly, after cycling around the display units back to MPG after being in km/l, the reported MPG is more back in line with what I would expect it to look like. So... Have I reset the gauge to USA units again by cycling things while connected to my USA programmed ECU? Am I just driving like an absolute dickhead and getting lower fuel economy? No idea. And like I said, I realistically don't even drive enough anymore to easily make a conclusion. All of this is based off of maybe 30 miles of driving each weekend to do my laundry and maybe visit a local park or two.

At this point, I've just come to the conclusion that the fuel economy readout's main reason for existing is to make me happy. And since bigger numbers = more happy, I'm just gonna take the zen route and accept whatever is shown.

Wish I had a more definitive answer for y'all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    So there was some difference in calculations between Imperial and US units. It would be easier if everyone used the same units of measurement. Oh well. Averaging out fuel economy calculations gives a better understanding of overall fuel efficiency despite differences in variables such as automatic fuel shutoff at the pump. It also shows how other variables such as temperature affect fuel economy. There’s several year’s worth of data from users in the forum Fuel Economy log to browse through and compare your numbers against. Sounds like you’re doing great.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Attachment 22117 56MPG for the metric impaired. That's US gallons.
    Didn't reset the gauge or do any other skumbag tricks to manipulate the numbers. Just hopped in and drove my 25ish km commute. 1/3 in town 40mph or under, the rest "freeway" at 55mph.

Full tank of fuel, 52F outside, almost bald dunlops. Ac off.
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-28-2021 at 12:38 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Now I want a new drivetrain too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-29-2021)

I drove like an old lady this morning trying to get under 4l/100km. I hit every red light but traffic was light on the "freeway". I set the cruise at 85kph (53mph). I managed to quickly get the display down to 4.4l/100km on the freeway for a few miles before I had to exit but it wouldn't get lower than 4.3 by the time I stopped. According to the cluster I'll get almost 800km/500 miles to this tank. We'll see about that.
    I checked the tire pressure the other day. One is at 42 the rest are 30 something. I'll pump them up to 50 and see how badly they split apart.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    I keep thinking that it would have been cool if you could have easily manual swapped your car when you engine swapped it.

So ... mental note to myself. When I start manufacturing cars, I'm going to design the automatics to be easily converted to manual, by adding all the correct structure (holes / brackets) etc. Heck, I think I'll go ahead and throw in the third pedal and associated cable (no hydraulic clutches at 7milesout Enterprises).

However, the manuals will have no provisions to swap to automagic cause no manual buyers / owners ever want to downgrade like that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I keep thinking that it would have been cool if you could have easily manual swapped your car when you engine swapped it.

So ... mental note to myself. When I start manufacturing cars, I'm going to design the automatics to be easily converted to manual, by adding all the correct structure (holes / brackets) etc. Heck, I think I'll go ahead and throw in the third pedal and associated cable (no hydraulic clutches at 7milesout Enterprises).

However, the manuals will have no provisions to swap to automagic cause no manual buyers / owners ever want to downgrade like that.
    Bolting up pedals, a shifter and making that work would be easy. Even wiring up reverse lights would be simple. Jerry rigging the neutral safety switch and making the car not run in limp mode might be another story.
    Unless you used an engine/trans harness and computers from a donor car along with some or all of the dash/interior harness. Anything is doable but it'd be far easier, cheaper and quicker to just go buy a 5speed.
    Keep in mind, these things often run like poop and throw abs codes if you have a burnt out brake light bulb.