Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage / MPG achievements (with optional MPG computer pics)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I thought the Rostra cruise control might actually hurt my mileage. But I was wrong. I got 59.5mpg this morning on my commute with the roof racks on. Granted, it was a holiday with empty roads and I got away with going 52mph in 65mph zones. But that's still my best with roof racks. Second morning in Florida not needing AC. that's a change.
    Good thing your are in flat Florida. Our Rostra sucks terribly on inclines. It kicks up the rpms violently. Feels like the CVT is going to explode.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Good thing your are in flat Florida. Our Rostra sucks terribly on inclines. It kicks up the rpms violently. Feels like the CVT is going to explode.
    Same here in Utah. I've learned to kick it off and take manual control when approaching the slightest of inclines��

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Macmoto For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  IMG_20210903_112401_1.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  85.3 KB

For a 110 mile drive to Canada this weekend.

Checked at the pump - that is correct.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post

Those are great numbers. There are very few vehicles capable of that kind of fuel economy, including motorcycles. What do you think are the contributing factors? Did you keep that speed the whole time? Any tailwind or elevation changes?

Also I see your Eco gauge is a multi-level meter which I think is new for North America?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I read where y'all had said that about it but I really wanted cruise and the OEM way sounded to difficult so I am happy to find that in my conditions it's working well. I was surprised how slowly and smoothly it accelerates when you press accel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Wow! Fantastic

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Those are great numbers. There are very few vehicles capable of that kind of fuel economy, including motorcycles. What do you think are the contributing factors? Did you keep that speed the whole time? Any tailwind or elevation changes?

Also I see your Eco gauge is a multi-level meter which I think is new for North America?
    I got a Honda Super Cub recently and have been riding that as much as possible because it's supposed to get 100-120 MPG. It's one of the most fuel efficient vehicles you can get. However, it has to be absolutely pegged to keep highway speeds, so I think the Mirage actually beats it in terms of MPG for highway cruising - which is hilarious.

I have a CVT in my Mirage, and this MPG was achieved just by getting to 55mph and setting cruise control, leaving the rest to the computer. No tricks for hypermiling or anything like that. Engine just ticked over at ~1800 RPM the whole way. I wasn't using the AC, but I may have still been circulating air, although I can't remember for sure. Interestingly, I was able to watch the MPG climb as the ambient air temperature increased as the morning progressed.

My gauge is actually from the top-trim UK model of the car. I got it and swapped it out because I wanted the ECO gauge, and the UK still uses proper units of measurement. I had to flip a few switches in ETACS in order for the gauge to work, but other than that it was plug-n-play.

I've been seeing whacky-high MPG numbers a lot recently (50's or 60's without really even trying). I actually started seeing the large increase in MPG around when I swapped the gauge a few months ago, to the point that I thought the gauge may have been faulty and reporting the wrong values. But on this trip to Canada I actually was able to run the car for long enough distances that I could verify things at the pump, and: yeah, it's actually getting those numbers. Absolutely blows my mind. Mitsubishi made one hell of a car.

P.S. - On the trip back from Canada, the car got 63.2 MPG. It was colder and rainy that day, which was I think the reason for the decrease. I was going from Seattle to Vancouver, which are both port cities at sea level, so I don't think elevation changes were more pronounced one direction vs the other.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    I got a Honda Super Cub recently and have been riding that as much as possible because it's supposed to get 100-120 MPG. It's one of the most fuel efficient vehicles you can get. However, it has to be absolutely pegged to keep highway speeds, so I think the Mirage actually beats it in terms of MPG for highway cruising - which is hilarious.

I have a CVT in my Mirage, and this MPG was achieved just by getting to 55mph and setting cruise control, leaving the rest to the computer. No tricks for hypermiling or anything like that. Engine just ticked over at ~1800 RPM the whole way. I wasn't using the AC, but I may have still been circulating air, although I can't remember for sure. Interestingly, I was able to watch the MPG climb as the ambient air temperature increased as the morning progressed.

My gauge is actually from the top-trim UK model of the car. I got it and swapped it out because I wanted the ECO gauge, and the UK still uses proper units of measurement. I had to flip a few switches in ETACS in order for the gauge to work, but other than that it was plug-n-play.

I've been seeing whacky-high MPG numbers a lot recently (50's or 60's without really even trying). I actually started seeing the large increase in MPG around when I swapped the gauge a few months ago, to the point that I thought the gauge may have been faulty and reporting the wrong values. But on this trip to Canada I actually was able to run the car for long enough distances that I could verify things at the pump, and: yeah, it's actually getting those numbers. Absolutely blows my mind. Mitsubishi made one hell of a car.

P.S. - On the trip back from Canada, the car got 63.2 MPG. It was colder and rainy that day, which was I think the reason for the decrease. I was going from Seattle to Vancouver, which are both port cities at sea level, so I don't think elevation changes were more pronounced one direction vs the other.

I think we should all get UK Mirage gauges, because it apparently increases your mpg.

I really don't believe anyone gets 70 mpg with a Mirage @ 55 mph, but anything is possible. Something seems off to me?

Could a UK gauge be using imperial gallons for their mpg calculations? An imperial gallon is larger than a U.S. gallon. If calculations were done in miles per imperial gallon, I would expect a slight increase in mpg over a smaller U.S. gallon reading.

You claim an increase in mpg since switching gauges. I doubt your car has changed, but what records it has changed. 70 km/gallon seems realistic, but I don't see them mixing metric/imperial units either.

I think something is off, but you claim the gas pump supports it. Is your car recording miles correctly? That would be my next question.

If Mirages were getting 70 mpg @ 55 mph, more people around the world would be talking about it.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-08-2021 at 02:03 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Well after a little cyber-sleuthing I found something interesting.

2014 UK transmission ratios-note the 5th gear ratio .85 and the final drive ratio of 3.55

Name:  2014 UK Mirage 5 speed ratios.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  51.7 KB

2021 UK transmission ratios-note the 5th gear ratio is now .804 and the final drive ratio of 3.55 continues

Name:  2021 UK Mirage 5 speed ratios.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  47.9 KB

2021 North America ratios- note the 5th gear ratio matches the .804 of the UK version but the NA final drive is 4.055

Name:  2021 US Mirage 5 speed ratios.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  57.9 KB
    UK Mirages will be turning much lower rpm's in the same gear at the same speed than the NA Mirages. If their economy is measured in Imperial Gallons that will also make a big difference but someone on the forum here can work the math (it's hard for me) to develop a comparison at the same speed and the same gear to show the differences in rpm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Well after a little cyber-sleuthing I found something interesting.

2014 UK transmission ratios-note the 5th gear ratio .85 and the final drive ratio of 3.55

Name:  2014 UK Mirage 5 speed ratios.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  51.7 KB

2021 UK transmission ratios-note the 5th gear ratio is now .804 and the final drive ratio of 3.55 continues

2021 North America ratios- note the 5th gear ratio matches the .804 of the UK version but the NA final drive is [B]4.055

UK Mirages will be turning much lower rpm's in the same gear at the same speed than the NA Mirages. If their economy is measured in Imperial Gallons that will also make a big difference but someone on the forum here can work the math (it's hard for me) to develop a comparison at the same speed and the same gear to show the differences in rpm.

Aren't we talking about a Mirage in Washington State, & he replaced his dash with one from the UK? I don't think he imported the entire car to the U.S.A.

If Mirages were getting 70 mpg @ 55 mph consistently (or even sometimes), I think more people would take note. I suspect something is off, but I've been wrong before!