Thread: Sound Proofing

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

Sound Proofing

which better place to install ?

Edit : weight concern but nice sound proofing

Last edited by CheezyWedges; 06-22-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you mean which locations on the car?

I would start by pulling the carpet and door panels. Then potentially pulling other interior panels and start adding there. It will add some weight to the car, though.

I have been meaning to pull the Focus apart and start appling sound deadening materail like Dynamat to the floor and the doors.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If weight is a concern, I would try to find out which type weighs less. Dynamat and similar products versus a roll-on or spray on sound control product is what I would try to look at. Also, I've seen the sheet products come in different thicknesses; you may not be looking for the best you can get and can go with a thinner product to save weight. Just some thoughts I am going through, as I too wouldn't mind having a quieter cabin; every time the road is wet I'm looking for an open window or door.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a friend of mine who used to own a 1989 Nissan Maxima and he striped out the entire interior. He then put 3 layers of dynomat on EVERYTHING! Now granted, the system was a sound quality setup so it had to be VERY quiet. All total, it was about 600 pounds of dynomat. The car rode a lot smoother after he put it all in because of the weight, and it was EXTREMELY quiet. So quiet that I was driving the car while my friend's were watching a movie and little did I know that I had crept up to 100 mph, but you could not hear any wind noise.

My point is this. He put in 3 layers of dynomat and it ended up being 600 pounds in a much larger car. If you put in just 1 layer, you won't be adding any more than 200 pounds. So, it would be like always having a friend ride in the passenger seat. How quiet do you want it to be? If you just put a little here and there, I think it would be a waste and not very effective.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    You should read sound proofing technique in this site: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

There's other option in achieving same result without adding much weight

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If someone would be so kind, they could download a 'decibel meter' app and have someone drive the car while taking measurements around the cabin. Find the noisy areas and from there you can decide how to reduce noise. Blanketing the car in dynamat works, but as mentioned its extremely heavy. Strategic placement of sound deadening is obviously most effective, and Mitsubishi did some of that. If you want to take it to the next level, that is how I would recommend doing it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Back-space (07-27-2014)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    does a buzzkill work as deadening? its an EPDM foam.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    You may want to look at these threads that already explain everything:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...tumen-tiles%29

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...to-your-Mirage

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    yep but my question wasnt answered there. i already read those thread but what i want to know if the EPDM foam can help as a sound deadener? im no expert in cars.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...r-Mirage/page2

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    yep but my question wasnt answered there. i already read those thread but what i want to know if the EPDM foam can help as a sound deadener? im no expert in cars.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...r-Mirage/page2
    @ mitsumi:
    EPDM will work too, but you want to use a good proven product, with excellent anti-resonant effects. Therefore I would definitely use asphalt, preferably as tiles, that is best. Most car manufacturers use it. It comes in very many brands, but you will want a brand with self-adhesive backing. Thickness is also important. Three millimeter is ideal, any thicker and it becomes difficult to stick it on properly to non-flat surfaces. Thinner than 3mm and it has less effect. A hot air blower or other source of heat will soften the tiles, so they will easily take on the shape of the contours and become easier to put on. A hammer with a rag wrapped around helps putting them on. Maybe laying them in the sun will get them warm enough, if its not raining. On round or sperical surfaces (wheel wells) it helps to cut the tiles in stripes or smaller pieces.

What to do with the tiles: As pointed out in the other threads, you will need to put them on the clean(!) floor of the car, all the way up towards the firewall, as high as you can get them on, covering the floor area, also around the wheel wells, and a few other spots. look at the other threads for details.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (05-08-2016)