Thread: First long road trip

Country
    United States
    Thanks

First long road trip

I gotta say that my mileage wasn't too impressive, although we're talking of a car loaded to the brim with stuff, plus me, wife, and my two kids (a teenager and a young girl), plus I was driving around 70-80 MPH most of the time. I averaged around 37 MPG total, which again, is not shabby but was less than I expected (at least wanted to break the 40 MPG barrier).

Other than that, we're very satisfied with the little mean green machine. We fit an insane amount of stuff in it: Four beach chairs, a big cooler, a basket with random stuff, four foam beach boards, and two beach umbrellas. I kid you not. I only had to remove the back shelf and lower the narrower seat back part.

The Mirage cruised flawlessly. A bit affected by crosswinds sometimes, but very stable, not noisy, and quite comfortable. I'm amazed at this car's seats; they look so simple, but there's some witchcraft that makes them quite good.

All in all, I'm looking forward for my next road trip, road 337 in Texas! Should be a nice test of the car's handling, which some hate, but it reminds me of my old 1989 VW Jetta. DAT BODYROLL.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kerc For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-23-2014)

I'm still not a fan of the body roll, no matter how retro!

37 mpg US @ 75-80 mph, fully loaded... pretty close to what this would have predicted:

From: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-economy-chart

I'll make a copy of your post to add to this thread:
    Done any long trips in your Mirage yet? Comfortable? Good fuel economy?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

kerc (06-23-2014),Minihaha (06-24-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the chart! One thing I've noticed is that the Mirage's numbers are pretty close to what's officially stated. I've had other cars where the variations in the fuel economy numbers, between "official" and real-life, are quite noticeable...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Sounds pretty respectable considering the speed. Thanks for sharing.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's what I get combined. Not sure if my situation is a good thing or not...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    That's what I get combined. Not sure if my situation is a good thing or not...
    Do you drive fast? I am the first to admit that I'm not light on the throttle at all. I love revving up the little sewing machine...

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

First long road trip

Hello Kerc. I am a San Antonio owner of a 2014 Mirage ES with CVT. Purchased car at Mission Mitsubishi last month with a full tank of fuel. At first fill up after 270 miles, I put in 7.57 gallons resulting in 35.67 MPG. I the took a "road trip" by circumnavigating Loop 410 then North on I-35 to Exit 199 and return home, a distance of 123 miles. I set cruise control at 62 MPH and climate control at 78 degrees. On the southbound leg on I-35 I came upon a 10 mile stop and go traffic jam due to multi car accident a few miles north of New Braunfels. MPG meter prior to traffic jam read 50.1 MPG. When I filled up, it read 46.0 MPG. Actual fill up was 2.70 gallons resulting in 45.55 MPG, slightly lower than MPG meter. I found it difficult to completely "top off" the fuel tank. Added data in fuel economy log.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)