Thread: console

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

console

I just got my new console - the Yaris model. I was just wondering...even though its not necessary...if anyone has actually removed the mirage console first before installing the new console....thnx...

BTW, I paid $27.99 + s&h...and for asking, I'm not able as of yet to post pics of my ride but hope to be able to by this wknd.

Jimmy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did not remove the console in the Mirage - just cut off the nub on the end of the arm rest, put some form reinforcement around the cup holder insert - to make it fit snugly - and slipped it in.

Only real advantage to removing the whole center console from the car would be to reinforce the plastic that makes up the console itself. As it is just plastic, it is not strong enough to prevent some side to side movement of the armrest, if horizontal pressure is applied to the arm rest.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay, first of all, we need to define 'console.'

Are you referring to the arm rest? If so, aydu has it right. Most of us just cut off the excess plastic piece, put some foam or whatever spacer you can use around the rim of the Mirage's cupholder so the armrest does not have a gap between the armrest and cupholder.

Someone on here was going to remove the center console to check where he can reinforce the center console. Don't think that has happened yet.

I've had my armrest since about my join date. No broken pieces yet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just had to do it. I removed the console; hate working outside in the elements. For those who wanna know: step 1) remove the 2 pushnuts at the front of the console. 2) Unscrew shift knob.3) remove plastic cover in the middle of console - snap-on piece just prys off. 4)remove the two 10mm nuts from middle and rear of console. 5)lift console and UNPLUG remote wire underneath. Now take the console inside and work on it in the AC WHILE YOU'RE WATCHING TV !!!!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    console in car - looks awesome! I put 4 short stubby screws in it and wrapped the bottom part with GORILLA TAPE. Snug, baby, snug!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When you say "put 4 short stubby screws in it" you mean the arm rest into the console correct?

Did you do anything to add more support between the console and the floor of the car?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No, I didn't see any way to firm up the sides of the factory console. I just put the four stubby screws into the arm rest through the cup holder of the console. The arm rest came with 2 screws but they were too small in my opinion, and wouldn't even tighten up the 2 pieces. but at least the arm rest and the console are firmly held together.