Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is snap oversteer and why do you need to know about it?

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I understand the very first post as a word of caution. Yes, 91cavgt is right about that in principle, but I really don't think we Mirage owners have much to worry about.

My neighbour has an old Citroen 2CV. That car has nill stabilisers. Tyre size is skinny 125-R15. Paired with independant suspension and the ability of each wheel to move about 50cm (about 1 1/2 ft) either up or down to feather huge potholes, it always leans to the side. When a normal person sits in the driver seat, it makes it lean sideways about 20°. A slowly taken curve makes it lean about another 20-30° outward. If you are not used to it, you can easily get sea-sick and get scared to death fearing it will instantly tip over. On regular streets, its more like a camel ride in the desert. In the sticks, you might well think it will throw you off. You need time to get used to it.

The point I am trying to make: The Citroen 2CV were made for decades and in great numbers, but I can not recall even one tipping over or flying out of a curve.
    foama

The flipping over comment was not about it flipping over from leaning so far, but rather I was talking about the car flipping over because it was sliding off the road sideways. If a tire grabs when you are sliding sideways then that will cause the car to flip over. If you are on pavement the entire time it is sliding, the chances of the outside tires getting traction when you are sliding are EXTREMELY slim. But when the car slides off the road, it is more likely that the car will flip over if it is sliding sideways. That is what I was talking about when I made the comment about a car flipping over, not flipping over from body roll.

As far as the 2CV not ever flying off of a curve, well, it was not capable of going fast enough in order for snap over steer to be an issue since it only had a 2 cylinder motor and 29 hp with it's most powerful engine!

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah......I myself find that the car snaps pretty hard when near the limit. Not sure if it's because the car is understeering then catches in the front or it's just plain oversteering. Doesn't feel like it understeers since the front end pulls in or remains neutral before snapping out. This....makes me wonder just how I will rebuild my TEIN coilovers (stiffer or softer setup in the rear compared to the front).

Anyone with more experience want to chime in?