Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake pads life

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you ever go to replace the brake pads, the lifetime warranty pads are typically not the best ones to go with, and here's why. They will last a VERY long time, but the reason for that is because they are a VERY hard compound brake pad. This means that they will wear your rotors more than a standard duty brake pad.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Today's rotors are good for one turning and then replacement. Rotors used to be made like tanks but were one of the areas manufacturers concentrated on to reduce the weight of vehicles and improve fuel economy.

While I agree that the pads used can impact rotor lifespan, people need to get ready to shell out for new rotors when they take their car in for their 2nd brake job.

If they wait for sounds from the brakes, they will likely be replacing them at the next change, regardless of mileage. That noise you hear is the sound of your rotors being scarred, likely beyond what machining the rotor can remove.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    Today's rotors are good for one turning and then replacement. Rotors used to be made like tanks but were one of the areas manufacturers concentrated on to reduce the weight of vehicles and improve fuel economy.

While I agree that the pads used can impact rotor lifespan, people need to get ready to shell out for new rotors when they take their car in for their 2nd brake job.

If they wait for sounds from the brakes, they will likely be replacing them at the next change, regardless of mileage. That noise you hear is the sound of your rotors being scarred, likely beyond what machining the rotor can remove.

Here in NY you have to replace the rotors all the time anyway. They rust and swell on the outside edges. The pads keep their area from rusting - but the rest of the rotor rusts.

The front rotors on my Focus rusted and swelled and actually started grinding down the caliper! I'm going to be throwing new rotors and pads on it in the spring. No point in doing it now as they'll just rust in a few months.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy78 View Post
    I've been told during first service. And pads become noisy few weeks ago.
    Im assuming they didnt show you the pads during the inspection. I would put on the emergency brake, go jack up one side and put it in neutral and turn your wheel by hand there should be just a small amount of drag as you rotate the wheel. if there is more you have a problem probably with the calibers sticking or possibly a hydraulic problem. You can then remove the wheel and visually inspect the pads there probably suppose to be around 3/8ths inch thick or more. check it out for yourself, then go from there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Something else to consider in the debate over which is "best", is that ceramic pads will make more noise than an organic or semi-organic compound. Not a huge problem for us automotive enthusiasts, but let me tell you other people can give you some sideways looks when your cold pads are squeaking around the parking lot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My pads were toast after 20k but I drive mostly city and Pittsburgh hills are unforgiving on cars. I replaced them with Duralast pads from AutoZone and so far they've been fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to burghbeagle For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-29-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just got done replacing my front pads on my 2014 ES not 5 minutes ago. Simple job. Odometer reads 43,477.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyKiwi For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Check the pad itself and see if it need replacement. There are gauges that measure that. Mirage brake are easy to change.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    85k on my OE pads...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    2018 Mirage GT with 38,000 kms. In service date October 2018.

I been thinking about driving for Uber on weekends so I took the car to Canadian Tire (they have a partnership with Uber, cheaper certificates) and my car failed the safety. Cdn Tire said I needed front brakes (1mm left) and rotors (not sure why, not warped or rusted at all). CAD$400. Well, I didn't believe them.

My car was do for service C anyways so I took it to one of the few remaining dealers left in Ontario (feels like Suzuki all over again). Same end result. Dealer said I need front pads and rotors at CAD$600

Before taking it to the dealer I had a look at the outer pad without taking off the wheel and it look like a new pad. According to the dealer the inner pad was 1mm, same answer as Cdn Tire.

Note, I take pride in my very low fuel economy figures. I drive like a grandma on Sunday always. Don't speed, never follow, always bug gaps/spaces, never brake hard, never accelerate hard. I'm averaging 5.0L/100 combined but my front brakes only last 38,000 kms? WTF? Feels like a you get what you pay for situation here.