Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US: Is the maligned Mitsubishi Mirage a good value? (Automotive News blog)

US: Is the maligned Mitsubishi Mirage a good value? (Automotive News blog)

Name:  mirage-automotive-news.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  67.3 KB

Well this is very interesting.

Automotive News is a serious source of auto info -- not a typical enthusiast rag or blog site. In this piece, writer RICHARD TRUETT talks about the car's "polarizing" reception in the US, as well as his own impressions from driving the CVT version.

He opens with quite the statement:

The Mitsubishi Mirage is one of the strangest cars I have ever driven -- and it’s one of the most polarizing new models of 2014.
    If the Mirage is one of the strangest cars he's ever driven, he's led a sad and boring automotive life. Hopefully (for his sake) what he meant to say is it's one of the most unusual cars on sale in North America right now. I'd agree with that.

He says in a very matter of fact way what he likes about the car, what's wrong with it, and why it wouldn't cost Mitsubishi much to "fix" it.

• "hated" the engine at first... until he discovered how responsive it was at cruising speeds, and how little gas it burns (no trouble beating the EPA ratings in "normal" driving)
    • contrary to negative opinions from Consumer Reports and the New York Times, he says "merging and passing are not issues"
    • not particularly impressed with the CVT (seemed to be complaining about idle-neutral re-engaging gear from rest); would recommend the 5-speed
    • Mitsubishi needs to recalibrate the suspension ... "could dramatically improve the Mirage" ... "The car wallows around corners as if the tires were made of marshmallows"

Overall?

The Mirage asks the driver to forgo some refinement for a low price. I think that is a legitimate trade-off.
    It's worth reading the full article: http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...e-a-good-value

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

However, this single line puts his entire credibility into question...

electric steering was excellent

Hmm...

If he means the high level of assist makes it super easy to turn the steering wheel? YESSIR!

If he means the steering feels direct and responsive? CRACK PIPE ALERT!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Haha, I liked the review. Its always good to see a reviewer have positive and negative things to say about something.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    haha seems like a neutral review. Better then a pure negative one

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The steering is one of the things I like best about the Mirage.

I drive it mainly around town and have never owned a car that was as easy to get around in crowded parking lots. The combination of easy turning plus the outstanding turning ratio make this car a breeze to use in city driving.

I notice that virtually all car reviews criticize vehicles with electric power steering as being "numb". As most manufacturers move to electronic power steering to eliminate drag on the engine - and increase miles per gallon - reviewers are in for a tough decade or so.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    However, this single line puts his entire credibility into question...

Hmm...

If he means the high level of assist makes it super easy to turn the steering wheel? YESSIR!

If he means the steering feels direct and responsive? CRACK PIPE ALERT!
    It's funny, when I go back to my cavalier, it's HARD to turn the thing when compared to the mirage, the assist is insane. I'm completely used to it now and it doesn't feel particularly unresponsive, just super easy with no feedback. ... i can turn a sharp corner with my pinky finger.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurdents View Post
    It's funny, when I go back to my cavalier, it's HARD to turn the thing when compared to the mirage, the assist is insane. I'm completely used to it now and it doesn't feel particularly unresponsive, just super easy with no feedback. ... i can turn a sharp corner with my pinky finger.
    What else can you do with the pinky finger
    ahh sorry long work day

i can turn a sharp corner with my pinky finger.
    Yes - that part about the Mirage made me chuckle. The super light steering reminded me of the big GM cars my parents used to have - where you could "palm" the steering wheel in tight parking lots to whip the wheels one way or the other.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The Mirage easily beat its EPA window label numbers -- 37 city/40 highway and 44 combined.
    The above quote is from the photo caption and it contains a whopper of a mistake. That same mistake appears in the body of the article. Can you spot it? And do you trust an automotive rag that has such lax editorial controls that would let such an error pass into print?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't care about the feedback from the steering. What does bother me (although not to the point of messing the fun) is it's "dozy" behavior.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)