Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gonna pull the trigger soon and get one!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

gonna pull the trigger soon and get one!

looking to get an ES in the 5 speed manual...been checking out this forum for quite some time and am really impressed by it's content! Really excited about this future purchase. We live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and there are no Mitsu dealers here, so the plan is when we go on vacation to hit up a dealer with a large selection and have the wife pick the color! Wish us luck!

Welcome, fatcat!

Have you tried one yet? I like this little machine. And the manual makes it more fun.

I once sailed up Lake Michigan on a tall ship & over the top of the peninsula . We stopped in Mackinaw City for a few hours. (Got fudge. )

Keep us posted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site.

I grew up not horribly far from you. I was just across the border (in Wisconsin) from Iron Mountain. My parents still live in the area.

Good luck with selecting a Mirage!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome, fatcat!

Have you tried one yet? I like this little machine. And the manual makes it more fun.

I once sailed up Lake Michigan on a tall ship & over the top of the peninsula . We stopped in Mackinaw City for a few hours. (Got fudge. )

Keep us posted.
    Thanks for the welcome...Haven't had the opportunity to drive one yet as there are no dealerships up here. I miss driving a manual, I had a 2002 Suzuki Esteem that was a 5 speed, about the same size vehicle and was really fun to drive. I am really liking the options that come with the ES package here in the states and am looking forward to driving a vehicle that will get great mileage once again. Also looking forward to teaching the wife how to drive a stick. Can't wait to drive one!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thanks for the welcome...so you are pretty happy with your Mirage? I was just down at a buddy's camp in Amberg, WI 2 weeks ago. Had a lot of fun, weather was perfect. 2 of my friends that were there both had new Mazda 3's, 6 speed manuals. I have been toying with the new car idea for quite some time now, done sooo much research and pretty much decided on the Mirage(even though I have not yet driven one). Seeing these guys with their new cars and talking to them really got me even more excited about a new car...Gonna do it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a silver ES manual. Great car for the $.

This should be an easy car to teach someone to drive stick as the clutch is light and the friction zone is high off the carpet.

Welcome!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome! She has watched various you tube videos of how to drive a stick, so she has the concept down...now to go buy the vehicle so she can get some hands on!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You are braver than me! I haven't heard of too many problems yet -- but I would be wary of buying a car with the closest dealer 3 hours away in case you have any warranty/teething issues, especially as the car ages (10 year powertrain warranty) .

You are in Michigan -- probably plenty of Ford dealers near you. Have you driven the Fiesta 1.0T 3-cylinder?

Your Mazda friends are gonna make fun of you! (As long as you're OK with that.)

What are you driving now? Are you trading something in or retiring something?

For people who haven't tried one yet, I would give 3 heads ups (that you probably already know about since you've been reading the forum):

1) If you've never driven a triple, expect it to sound/feel different than what you're used to. There's understandably more vibration than a four, and it has a "growly" engine note under load ... which most people here like. (I really like it.)

2) The suspension is soft. Like "throwback to big, 80's Detroit iron" soft. This makes it ride surprisingly comfy for a small car, but it won't satisfy your inner canyon carver. You can address that with an aftermarket rear sway bar (and tires) if you really want to.

3) The steering is also very light, and on-center feel is frankly weak. What you think if it will mostly depend on what you're used to driving. Also, you'll totally get used to it. After a week of driving one, it was off my radar.

I bet the overwhelming majority of typical drivers wouldn't even notice these points. But people who sign up on forums aren't typical car owners!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Currently I drive a 2001 Mazda MPV(minivan). It has done well over the years but is now is getting rough. I do like to hear the motor run, so a growly noise from under the hood is welcome by me. My favorite car that I have owned(still own it, it is now used for storage out at camp) was my 89 Lincoln Town car. Driving this was like sitting on a comfy couch and just floating from place to place, so I do enjoy a soft suspension. I have read about getting the rear sway bar and that makes perfect sense to me. If this purchase does happen, my Mazda friends may have a good laugh, but I will end up with the same options they have, better mileage, better warranty, plus an extra $7g's in my pocket...whose laughing...it might be me!