Thread: Judging nose length while driving

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks

Question Judging nose length while driving

Hello people,

this may not be a problem of many, but I am having trouble with properly estimating the length of my Mirage while driving.

I cannot see the actual front of the car and have therefore to reverse a couple of times more than I guess would be required. No problem so far, because the parking spots in my lot are huge. I will, however, soon move to a very dense urban territory, where every inch is valuable and needs to be used in parking situations and narrow streets.

I would welcome any advice. What is your trick?

All the best

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not saying I'm a tight parking space pro, but my method is to visualize where the front wheel well is, and from there I pretty much know how much more space there is till the front.

-Charlie-

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I sometimes use the bumpers. Seriously, though, I expect it will come with experience. Maybe find a soft surface like one of those rubber-covered loading docks and slowly put the nose in enough times until you get the sense of how far you can go. Or you could try hanging a ball from a string and practicing on that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If it's really that much trouble for you, you may benefit from the experience gained by attending driving school.
    Barring that, try backing into parking spaces.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    thx guys for these tips.
    I was used to driving a much larger car, where the high seat provided perfect vision.

I will continue to practice parallel parking.

What is the policy in the US?
    In Europe, I've seen people quite often gently touch the front and rear car in with their bumpers while parking...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    thx guys for these tips.
    I was used to driving a much larger car, where the high seat provided perfect vision.

I will continue to practice parallel parking.

What is the policy in the US?
    In Europe, I've seen people quite often gently touch the front and rear car in with their bumpers while parking...
    In the US we shoot people for even touching our cars.

They've gotten rid of most parallel parking in the US, so you're pretty much safe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticMirage View Post
    In the US we shoot people for even touching our cars.

They've gotten rid of most parallel parking in the US, so you're pretty much safe.
    Right!?

Donut, my method has been just to park and go out to see how accurate my estimation was. Also, parallel park everytime I can.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In my previous cars, I learned the right distance by accidentally bumping something LoL. What can I say, I learn from experience?

With that said, try to get a cone or something soft to bump and visualize. Once you've done that, I bet you'll know the limits of the car.