Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage CVT

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mirage CVT

Hi, I am from Co,Durham in England, purchased a new Mirage CVT on the 3rd of July, this year 2014, bought this to suite my wife's driving, last motor was a Toyota Yaris 1.33 VVTI auto, which gave her a problem on hill starts, because it tended to roll back, the CVT has a hill start and hold function that suits her well, I'm also pleased so far, local driving, 10-20 miles, is returning 59-64 miles per gallon (Uk gallons), its reckoned to do about 75 MPG motor-way (hi-way) driving, the proximity sensor system is great for driving into our small British sized garage, so no scrapes or bumps so far, the climate control is really good, engine as many point out is a little noisy at low speed, but thats not really a problem, the rain and low light sensors work well, as does the engine auto stop and start system, keyless entry is good, now that we are used to it. Tyre pressures were a problem, checked them at home when vehicle had cooled down after 30 miles of driving, they were 33psi (2.1/2.2 bar) but the manual and in vehicle guide said 39 PSI (2.7 bar), I had noticed the handling was slightly heavy so adjusted tyres to 39 psi as per user manual and the tyre pressure guide in the car, handling improved straight away, the tyres, by the way, are Bridgestone EP150 165/65 R14 79S/Ts, can't find a reference anywhere that confirms that the pressures suggested are correct for Bridgestone EP150's, can anyone confirm that 39psi is OK. Handling and mpg suggests its alright, but high pressures usually burn off tread?
    Well thats enough, as this is my first thread here, feel free to make any positive comment.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Brenty; 07-13-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome! !! I'm sure you will love the car.encourage everyone to get a mirage. Welcome

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Hi, thanks for the welcome, my wife and I already love this car, best regards

Hi there, Brenty - welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear your wife's enjoying the car.

The North American spec tire pressures are slightly lower than U.K. spec. (which happens to be same as Japan spec.), but I wouldn't worry much about riding at 39 if you're happy with it. I think it's unlikely you'll see any difference in wear (especially since the manual calls for it).

Personally, I have always run higher pressure than the placard value (not a Mirage, though) and have not had any wear problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenty View Post
    its reckoned to do about 75 MPG motor-way (hi-way) driving
    75 mpg Imperial = 62 mpg US = 3.8L/100 km = 26.6 km/L

Wow - that sure shows the differences in fuel consumption test values. The Canadian rating is 64 mpg (Imp) highway. The US EPA highway rating (44 mpg US for the CVT) converts to 53 mpg Imperial!

...as does the engine auto stop and start system
    If you can post a YouTube video of this in action, I'd love to see it. Only Europe/Japan gets the stop/start feature (so far).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks

MPG results

Just popped out to the garage with my Fuji X10 to record instrument data,
    this video, if it plays, I think windows player is O/K, well it worked for me,
    by the way I.m an oldie, in my 70's, so be patient.
    Just realized, I need to create a youtube account, so will get back when I have.

Note:- too dangerous to video while driving, car has now done a mere 342 miles since new, 1st tank of gas, now down about 60 miles left in tank, general running about so far has not exceeded 20 miles (one way) on any journey, and I am running in for the first 1000 miles at speeds not exceeding 62 mph, I regularly get 59/62 mpg on these shot runs, mainly in slightly hilly country in my home area, today 2 x 18 mile journeys took pictures of display after arriving home. On this occasion 55.9 mpg.
    Name:  DSCF3694.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  43.1 KBName:  DSCF3693.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  39.3 KB
    Last edited by Brenty; 07-25-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: add information

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Todays MPG check

car has now done a mere 342 miles since new, 1st tank of gas, now down about 60 miles left in tank, general running about so far has not exceeded 20 miles (one way) on any journey, and I am running in for the first 1000 miles at speeds not exceeding 62 mph, I regularly get 59/62 mpg on these shot runs, mainly in slightly hilly country in my home area, today 2 x 18 mile journeys took pictures of display after arriving home. today a mere 55.9 mpg.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Brenty For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-26-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool Greetings from bluejellybean:):):)

Your so welcome.the more your car gets broke in your mileage should increase.just try to keep your ECO light on. And start off slower and dont try to go real fast and you should get better Mpg,s.love you carp
    Hi, thanks for the welcome, my wife and I already love this car, best regards

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Spread the mirage fever)

I regularly get 59/62 mpg on these shot runs, mainly in slightly hilly country in my home area, today 2 x 18 mile journeys took pictures of display after arriving home. today a mere 55.9 mpg.
    Congrats - decent numbers. Will you also be tracking your fuel consumption "on paper" (petrol station receipts)? I found the Mirage's display to be a bit optimistic in normal driving (based on comparing what the computer said for two tanks vs. how much fuel was pumped into the tank).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome . Very nice numbers . Thanks for the pics in the other thread . Keep us amused with the m.p.g. .