Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10w-30

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    The engine clatters for the first second during startup, indicative of a condition known as a "dry-start," where parts are moving without oil between them.
    I just went on the mobil1 website. They have oil filter m1-110 that has a synthetic anti drain deal of some sort in their filter that protects against dry start.(12.99 amazon) They also have a cheaper one that has the anti drain m04612, both fit the Mirage...Maybe this is all you need to be able to run the 0w-20 with no dry start issues?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm a little confused by the wide disparity of "ideal" oils in this thread. What am i missing?
    The use of a particular viscosity of oil is dictated by the temp range of the environment in which the engine operates.. This has been so since the invention of the IC engine.
    Where I live the winters range from about -35 to -10 deg C at the extremes so a 5W-20 would work here.
    Summer (this yr) runs from 8 to 30 deg C at the extremes so 10W-30 would work here.
    I'm not sure why my dealer puts 0W-20 in my car...?
    I've also noticed a wide range of oil change intervals here... My first oil change was at 8000km/5000mi and all that will follow, at the same 8000km/5000mi intrval.
    Are we not all running the same engine?
    What's up?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I just went on the mobil1 website. They have oil filter m1-110 that has a synthetic anti drain deal of some sort in their filter that protects against dry start.(12.99 amazon) They also have a cheaper one that has the anti drain m04612, both fit the Mirage...Maybe this is all you need to be able to run the 0w-20 with no dry start issues?
    I haven't noticed engine clatter at start up whatsoever with the Mobil1 AFE (0w-20), then again, I also have the oil filter you referenced, M1-110..who knows?

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I'm a little confused by the wide disparity of "ideal" oils in this thread. What am i missing?
    The use of a particular viscosity of oil is dictated by the temp range of the environment in which the engine operates.. This has been so since the invention of the IC engine.
    Where I live the winters range from about -35 to -10 deg C at the extremes so a 5W-20 would work here.
    Summer (this yr) runs from 8 to 30 deg C at the extremes so 10W-30 would work here.
    I'm not sure why my dealer puts 0W-20 in my car...?
    I've also noticed a wide range of oil change intervals here... My first oil change was at 8000km/5000mi and all that will follow, at the same 8000km/5000mi intrval.
    Are we not all running the same engine?
    What's up?
    I guess it all depends on the manufacturer's goals as influenced by local regulations. I am physically located in the several united States, and it is my personal opinion that Mitsu Motors NA likely prioritizes viscosity recommendations and change intervals to eke out the last percentage of fuel efficiency (as demanded by local regulations). So, I'm going to downplay their 0W-20 recommendation and, IMO, go for a viscosity aiming for much higher engine durability and life instead, while accepting a slight decrease in fuel efficiency ... but that's just me.

So, yes, we are running the same engine, but perhaps we have different goals and assumptions behind how the engine should work "best"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    I guess it all depends on the manufacturer's goals as influenced by local regulations. I am physically located in the several united States, and it is my personal opinion that Mitsu Motors NA likely prioritizes viscosity recommendations and change intervals to eke out the last percentage of fuel efficiency (as demanded by local regulations). So, I'm going to downplay their 0W-20 recommendation and, IMO, go for a viscosity aiming for much higher engine durability and life instead, while accepting a slight decrease in fuel efficiency ... but that's just me.

So, yes, we are running the same engine, but perhaps we have different goals and assumptions behind how the engine should work "best"
    So Cookie, have you finally decided that 10w-40 is where the sweet spot is or are you going for straight up SAE 50 now? :-)

No seriously, I want to know if you are good at 10w-40 now. It would also really help if you could mention at least the state you live in to know if it's really hot there or not.

Thanks!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    So Cookie, have you finally decided that 10w-40 is where the sweet spot is or are you going for straight up SAE 50 now? :-)

No seriously, I want to know if you are good at 10w-40 now. It would also really help if you could mention at least the state you live in to know if it's really hot there or not.

Thanks!

-Charlie-
    Still at 10w-30 right now ... and I'm very happy with how it's running so far in the 3A92 here in the midwest u.S. (averaging around 80*F right now). I may or may not try 10w-40 in a few hundred miles!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Still at 10w-30 right now ... and I'm very happy with how it's running so far in the 3A92 here in the midwest u.S. (averaging around 80*F right now). I may or may not try 10w-40 in a few hundred miles!
    Whoops! Could've swore I saw you update us earlier in the thread saying you were going even higher than 10w-30! Anyways, keep us updated in the future (not all of us are as brave as you!).

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Whoops! Could've swore I saw you update us earlier in the thread saying you were going even higher than 10w-30! Anyways, keep us updated in the future (not all of us are as brave as you!).

-Charlie-
    Yup, my original plan was to go to 10w-40

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Might as well run 85w-140 gear oil in it ... That'll make it last forever ...

The engine is designed for a range of oils. 0w-20 isn't going to shorten it's life at all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    Might as well run 85w-140 gear oil in it ... That'll make it last forever ...

The engine is designed for a range of oils. 0w-20 isn't going to shorten it's life at all.
    Can you show me a manufacturer's manual for the 3A92 that specifies 85w-140?

I can show a Mitsubishi manual that specifies 10w-30, 10w-40, and higher, up to 20w-50 for the 3A92.

If you are not of my opinion that heavier weight oils are more protective, or you prefer to prioritize for fuel economy, then feel free to run 0W-20 or 0W-0. I am merely sharing my experiences based on my opposite opinion.

Last edited by cookiemonster; 07-21-2014 at 03:07 PM.