Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 10w-30

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris alan View Post
    Cookiemonster,

Its been 4 years or so since your post about running 10W-30 oil in your mirage, I was wondering how the engine is running?

I have a 2017 mirage (30,000 miles) and have been noticing occasional knocking in very cold weather (Buffalo, ny). Thought it might have been the oil filter I was using (purolator boss), then switched to a wix and still had the same problem. So I changed the oil (Valvoline 0W-20) and put a Mitsu filter on, after 1500 miles it started to knock again occasionally again.

So now i am thinking its the 0W-20 oil that is the culprit. My thoughts are when the oil gets some miles on it and thins out that's when the knock starts. MY suspicion is that the oil gets thinner and either leaks out of the ADB valve in the oil filter back into the engine OR its just too thin to adhere to the engine components.

I would greatly appreciate any feed back cookiemonster!
    IMO my engine's purring as smoothly as the day I bought it. I'm running 5w-30 in it right now, during the winter months (Pennzoil yellow bottle), with a Microgard filter.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

chris alan (01-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the reply cookiemonster!