KBB.com

overall rating 10 of 10rating details
Pros: "gas mileage, nice ride, not a hybrid!"
Cons: "no center arm rest"
"Just purchased the car on June 30, 2014. We got the ES model with the exterior protection package (splash guards, rear bumper guard and side moldings). With the first tank of gas in it we have already achieved 47.9 mpg. Not to fancy but, it has everything that we wanted."
====
Pros: "Inexpensive, Great features, best non-hybrid MPG"
Cons: "No center armrest"
Likely to recommend this car? (1-10): 10

"I rate this car 10 out of 10 overall considering what it COSTS to own. For a car to acheive 10 out of 10 it must do what it sets out to do perfectly. The Mirage does just that: Great fuel economy, inexpensive to purchase new and own. I traded my girlfriends car on a DE CVT because she was having trouble affording her car. After driving hers a few times and seeing her fuel economy, I returned to the dealership and traded my car on a ES 5-spd not even a month later. I purchased it for $12,350 after rebates, before tax and tags. MSRP was $14,990. It is has Aluminum Wheels, height adjustable seat,folding rear seats, Blue Tooth with Streaming Audio, AUX input and USB, Power Locks and Windows, and Proximity Keyless entry, push button start (on the left side of the column...), fog lights, Leather wrapped steering wheel w/ audio controls/cruise and automatic temp. control. This is exceptional and uncommon for the price (Nissan Versa has rollup windows and little else around this pricerange). For an extra $900 I could have had a very nice Navigation System w/ Backup camera. I couldnt seem to find one with a Standard Transmission and I'm NOT a huge fan of the CVT, but they are available if you look. Huge value for the price. I purchased it with 33 miles on the odometer, and by time my fuel gauge started flashing it read 342 miles. I filled up the tank and to my surprise it only required 7.07 gallons to fill back up.....there was still almost 2 gallons left in the 9.1 gallon tank. This indicates I acheived 43.7 MPG average, 70% HWY 30% City driving. With the same city/HWY driving percentages, that is as good as my friends Prius C. Thats 309 Miles for just under $27 @ $3.75/gal in MD. Huge value. Tires are 165/65 R14, a quick search tells me they can be had for $60-$80 each. The first major service (Timing Belt) that many simple DIY types may not want to attempt on their own is at 100,000 miles. Mitsubishi Recomends 7500 mile oil changes for normal use. I intend to do mine every $5000. Only 3 quarts of oil are required. Huge value. Safety ratings are all around good, with the exception of moderate frontal overlap driver, rated Moderate by the IIHS. This is ok with me as the most precious cargo rides in the back seat. Acceptable considering size and price. Most subcompacts are rated similar. Warranty: This was one of the major factors for me. 5yr/60,000 mile bumper to bumper warrany is as long as Fords POWERTRAIN warranty. 10yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty is UNBEATABLE, especially for you people who drive 10,000mi/yr or less. Huge value. Driving Dynamics.... this is one place that I've seen reviewers destroy this car. DO NOT compare it to a Subaru Impreza, Honda Accord, even a Chevy Spark..... all are more expensive upfront, require more maintenance, do not come with as good of a warranty, and do not get the same real world fuel economy. At 79 HP and 79 lb/ft of torque, I was skeptical. I was trading in a turbo charged, 350 hp producing machine, and going to this. It is not fast. It is not extremely fun to drive. I asked my self, is that what its built for? Is that what I'm looking for? No. I love my car (previous car), but I'm looking to save money. I've always driven Standard, but this stick took a little getting used to. Very low power in first, the gear shift is a little slushy for my taste, and the clutch feels like I'm stepping on air. Learn how to drive it, and it has no problem merging and passing on the highway. Even at "high" speeds (70-80 mph) it maintains its excellent gas mileage. Around town it is perfect. Very nimble, parallel parks where nobody else can. Steap country roads are a non issue, again, once you get a feel for it. This is why I don't like the CVT....it does not have a tiptronic shifter and hills with a fully loaded vehicle can be a little slow. I hardly feel road bumps, but I may be biased here....the car I traded in was VERY, VERY bumpy with the way I had the suspension set up. The mirage is certainly not a Cadillac. The road noise is another complaint I've read. Again, my previous car was LOUD, so all I hear is quiet. If you drive a Prius, it may be louder than you are used to. I've seen complaints about its handling. I've tested it at 70 MPH on a full circle exit ramp...it held the line like it was on rails. I felt a little body roll at 50 MPH on a hairpin, but that is really not how the car is intended to be driven. The turning radius will get you in and out of almost anywhere. Did I mention parallel parking is easier in this than anything I've ever driven? Only room for improvement for drivability is a 6-spd trans. This would increase the cost just a bit, but I think 3000 RPMS on the Highway is just a tad too high in this day and age. Acceptable value for cost/MPGs. The interior: One major complaint here - no arm rest. I don't care if its available as a $300 option, it needs to be there. I had a 98 Civic DX with the same problem. My first order of business is to custom fabricate one. Other than that, it is very comfortable. Dash and doors are plastic...for the money that is to be expected. 3 cupholders, room for storage, a power outlet, sizeable glove box, and door storage are all there. ES has height adjustable drivers seat, DE does not. Cluster is nice and simple....Tach and speedometer, with a small EVIC which displays fuel gauge, "xxx until empty", trips A and B, and Average Gas Mileage. Its controlled with a push button on the cluster. This could be improved with steering wheel controls but it is forgivable, again, given the price. Speakers are clear, but not particularly loud. I will be upgrading soon. Mitsubishi says the purple seats in the ES are going away for 2015 because people hate them. My opinion: They are very comfortable and of top quality cloth. I like the purple because it adds quirkiness to and already quirky car. It just works....if you don't have a sense of humor about yourself you need to get over yourself.....that or buy seat covers. Despite the mostly plastic interior, it flows together, and feels well put together. It is not hard or uncomfortable, just not a Cadillac. Radio works simply, I can't comment on the touch screen. The automatic temp. control is wonderful and typically only found on far more expensive vehicles. I could definitly live without it in favor of an armrest! Huge Value (except for lack of armrest). I can't comment on reliability because I havent owned one for long. I can say that I have owned a lot of vehicles....the ones I took care of lasted, and the ones I neglected didn't. Due to the very low cost of upkeep associated with this car, even the most frugal should be able to keep up with the recomended service. I expect it to last with how little it costs to take care of. Huge value (cost to own) The exterior is not going to wow anybody....but what in the subcompact segment does? Its a goofy looking car. Thats not for everybody. I like it but I can't comment on others tasts. This much is up to you to decide. I give Driving Dynamics 9/10 for slushy stick shift and CVT. Other than that it drives exactly how it should for its intended use. I have not rated reliability. I give Design 9/10, knocking one point for lack of armrest I give quality 10/10...its top notch for what you can buy it for. I give comfort and convenience 10/10 (I already knocked one point for the armrest in design, so I won't do it again as much as I am tempted to) I give Value 10/10. It lowered my payment, lowered my insurance, DRASTICALLY lowered my fuel expense, and DRASTICALLY lowered my service and upkeep cost. That and for the price it comes packed with expectional creature features. I give Overall Rating 10/10, because when value exceeds price, you buy it, and the Mirage does just that. It succeeds perfectly in what it was build to do....be inexpensive without being total garbage. I hope this write up helps anybody reading make a decision. If you're in the market for a subcompact, do not write this one off based on "expert" reviews. Go drive one, see for yourself!"
==================================
Pros: "great gas milage/ great over all car for the money"
Cons: "none"

"I have owned this car for 2 mouths. I work as a hospice nurse and put a lot of miles on my car. I love the great mileage average combined mile is 41.5 mpg. The care is getting better every day I drive it. I have ES with cvt and love all the standard features. I agree with other owners can't see why so called professional reviewers give it such poor marks, the must comparing it to a BMW not a car is the price range. My advice is to read these owner reviews and test drive one today."

===========================
Pros: "afforable, fun colors, great in snow, Fuel economy"
Cons: "No center console/armrest, storage"

"I was at the Mitshibishi Dealership this afternoon getting my 2006 Lancer Inspected. I bought the car brand new in 2006 and only put 55,000 miles on it. There was a deal on a 2012 Brand New Lancer that caught my eye as my husband needs a new car. I went in to talk to a salesman about it and after 15 minutes talking numbers I noticed the mirage in the showroom behind me... I fell in love with the color and it was such a great deal, better than the 2012 Lancer actually, I bought it for myself and traded my husband's car in and gave him my Lancer... The car is cute, compact and is great on gas. Because the car is front wheel drive its great in the snow which is something that I made sure to ask about. This car, for me, is to get to and from work since I typically don't drive much. This car comes with a 5 year bumper to bumper and 10 year powertrain!!"
======================
Pros: "Fuel economy, cheap insurance, reliable, small fun"
Cons: "storage space, power, body roll, seats are hard"

Likely to recommend this car? (1-10): 9

"Im in college, school full time and work full time. I needed a reliable car (my last mitsubishi had 220k and still ran like a top) to shuttle me around. I love the fuel economy; started out around 42 as an avg in the winter with 70% city driving and now that its summer im avg 47-50 every tank. 27 bucks to fill this bad girl up from an empty tank (in ohio). With the ac on its slow, but with it off its a peppy little 3 cyl. I love the ride minus the body roll (its not bad but its more noticeable than other vehicles). Its been totally reliable thus far and with a 5 year bumper to bumper and 10 year powertrain how can you go wrong?"

========================
Pros: "best price and gas mileage, practical, reliable"
Cons: "center arm rest not included, no moonroof"

"I think most people who are attracted to cars like the Mirage are people who have an eye for reliability and practicality. The Mirage has plenty of both! No creaks or squeaks, and it feels very solidly built and very stable, even on highways - it has to be, to endure the rougher roads of less-than-first world countries. It has a softer ride than most cars, but I for one love this feature ... it glides like a luxury car over potholes without complaining. I also appreciate the conservative lines of the exterior; it'll probably age much better than it's competitors' more trendy styles. No, it's not designed to run or compete in races, but it has plenty of pep to get you where you need to go with more than enough power. The 3-cylinder engine possesses a mini version of a 6-cylinder's rumble, so I actually love the engine sound. The Mirage has more "measure of fun" and is "more interesting" than the Spark!"
========================
Pros: "great price, great fuel economy, build quality"
Cons: "could use more lighting in the back seats"

"This car is AMAZING!!! it is extremely comfortable and quiet and a heck of a lot more than i expected for such a tiny price tag. i still do not understand why reviewers knock it for having a small engine it has more than enough power to move with or faster than traffic and it is great at highway speeds. your "mileage may vary" but i get over 44mpg IN THE CITY!! and my highest mpg on a highway trip was 56mpg from vegas to Monterrey. this is a great city and highway car we have done several 1,000 mi Plus road trips and not been anywhere near as tired as we were in my old miata or my wifes yaris. the car feels really well built."
==========================
Pros: "price, warranty, lots of standard features include"
Cons: "side reflectors - look like from old bicycle"

"I've read just about every review available for the '14 Mirage. If I weren't a Libertarian, I'd insist on a law that says "if you don't own the car, you can't review the car". Honestly, most of the professional car reviewers would never buy ANY vehicle under $15,000. Many haven't even DRIVEN this car, but they seem to know that The Spark or Fiesta or some other car is a better value. And why do reviewers only compare listed retail prices of cars? I've only seen ONE review that even mentions that Mitsubishi has a $1000 rebate on the Mirage. Nobody has mentioned that some dealers are offering additional discounts of $1000 or more. I just bought a 2014 Mirage DE with 5-speed and no options for $11,350 out-the-door price. The only thing that number does not include is state tax and registration. I bought the car out of state, so I paid MD state tax when I registered the car. Try getting a Chevy Spark for $11,350. Won't happen. Oh, but the Spark is so much more fun to drive. Yes, it's a little more fun to drive. So was my RX7, my Toyota MR2, my Miata, my Cadillac STS and my BMW 740i. But I didn't buy this car for "fun to drive". I bought it because it's cheap, gets super good gas mileage, can transport 2 adults and 3 children, and has a super warranty. Some observations: (1.) I think it looks nice. Cute. So many reviewers roll their eyes and think they have transported back to the 1980s. Not so. It's a cute little car. (2.) It costs thousands less than the cars the reviewers say "cost about the same". In my case, and I got a very good deal, about $3000 less. I can take my wife and 3 dogs to McDonalds for cheeseburgers once a week for six years on $3000. All I have to do is say the word "cheeseburger" and all the dogs start barking and run to the door - most fun they have all week. I have traded a little bit of driving fun for 300 trips to McDonalds. And you know what? My dogs don't care that the back seat of the Mirage is flat. (3.) Extraordinary Warranty. 5 Year bumper to bumper warranty. Beats the Spark's 3 year. 10 year powertrain warranty compared to Spark's 5 year. (4.) better gas mileage (5.) seats 5 instead of 4 (6.) Real world price is a couple grand less =========================== The first thing I did when I bought this car was drive it 600 miles. I got over 48 mpg for the trip. Mid 30-s in the mountains, around 50 on the freeways. I also own a 2012 Prius and it only gets about 2 mpg higher.============== Speaking of Prius (which I love), the price for a base Prius II is around $23 or $24k. That's TWICE as much as the Mirage. ============ It is ABOUT TIME that somebody came out with a 40+ mpg car that can be purchased below $12,000, has a nice complement of standard equipment, and has an excellent warranty. ============= And for the record, I do think it is fun to drive. And I CAN drive up a steep mountain at 70 mph. And I don't think the steering is funny. I do think the clutch is a bit odd, but I got accustomed to it in about 5 minutes. ================ Bottom line, if you don't have a lot of cash, want great gas mileage and a great warranty, buy this car. And if you can afford to spend a few thousand extra for the Spark, buy the Mirage and take your dogs out for a treat....many, many times."

=================================
Pros: "Great Price, FUEL ECONOMY! Perfect Power features!"

"Yes, the car is an Econobox. We knew this. We are not looking for fancy interior, Ultra smooth ride, or a silent engine. We needed Fuel economy ! And we are getting it ! On a recent road trip , we were able to achieve 48.6 mpg !! I had owned Geo Metros in the past, liked them. Liked the economy. But, This Car We LOVE ! For the Price, and how the car is equipped.. and the Standard power features, you simply Cannot Beat It ! And, I forgot to mention Warranty ! Awesome ! Considering purchasing another , since this car moves very well in the snow and do not need AWD in my other vehicle any longer."

====================================
Pros: "Good price, fuel economy, decent handling"
Cons: "sluggish particularly when cold - no console"

"I have owned a 2014 Mirage ES CVT since the end of November 2013. So far no issues. Drives and handles better than you expect for a small car. City mpg averaging 35.5. Had it on the highway a few times but only for about 4 miles, ran and handled fine."
=============================
Pros: "Great price. High MPG. Parking a breeze. Comfort."
Cons: "No console between front seats. Small storage area"

"OK, we just got our Mirage a few days ago so we are not sure of the reliability. But so far we have gone on a short trip to find it far exceeded my expectations. I can be a little skeptical at times and really didn't believe the mpg that this car was supposed to get. I had hoped that we would get into the low 40s mpg. which is higher than our previous car which at best got at best 27-28 mpg. We live in fairly flat to small rolling hill area, and we got as high as 45.5 mpg. I am sure if you live in the mountains you might not get the same mpg. As for the comment of slow, slow, slow! True, this car hasn't a high performance V8 with 800 horsepower. It will not complete a quarter mile drag down a strip under 10 seconds, unless a hurricane blows it down there. It does have enough power to get on any freeway. I was impressed with the ride and comfort. We also own a 2000 Toyota Echo which we love, and the Mirage is at the moment, a smoother, quieter and much faster. Head and shoulder room is great. This car has a little storage area behind the back seat. It has enough area for three or four pieces of luggage, not much more before you block the back window. It does have fold down back seats to accommodate for a larger storage area. The Mirage fits 4 large people comfortably. The back seat has no hump on it so 3 small kids will set well.(If you can keep 3 small kids seated.) This is the perfect commuter car. We will be going on a long trip this spring and not worry so much about the price of gas."
==========================