Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgraded rotors & brake pads

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    They run the exact same, just an inch bigger front and rear.
    You could just upgrade the rear. Front biased system anyway, and the rear is mainly just for the hand brake.
    Not true. The rear does indeed do much less work, typically only 20-30% braking versus the front.
    My hobby car is the Integra, i used to only upgraded the front with NSX rotors and calipers, it does indeed provide much more braking power, but it horribly upset the braking bias/balance. I later on upgraded the rear with RSX Type-R ones to gain the original brake balance back and is much nicer... the car doesn't "dip" anymore.

The same can be said for the Mirage. If one upgrade only the rear, they can potentially lock the rear tires up in the rain and/or have undesirable effect... Anyhow, if you or anyone else drove their Mirage, and they feel that the brake bias is not to their taste, obviously they can tune it to their liking, maybe upgrading the rear only... but the potential risk should be mentioned imho.

PS: Is normal to have a "front bias" brake system, because it is easier to control and the added weight shifted to the front gives better traction for cornering (up to a point until the tires grip gives).

Is good to know they are direct bolt on, I may upgrade both of them in the future, thank you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can anyone tell me if when you buy front brake pads on rockauto.com do you get pads for both sides or just one? Just seems pretty cheap to get pads for both sides. Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Pads come in sets for both sides.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

outtahours (08-24-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by outtahours View Post
    Can anyone tell me if when you buy front brake pads on rockauto.com do you get pads for both sides or just one? Just seems pretty cheap to get pads for both sides. Thanks
    Pads only comes in set. Personally, for the front, i never buy the combo that comes with the pads, they are crap...
    I usually just order Brembo blank for the front (for any car really) and just order the pads separately.

For the rear, i don't really care since they barely do much braking, maybe 20%...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to codenamezero For This Useful Post:

outtahours (08-24-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Has anyone tried to upgrade to larger discs and calipers on the front of these cars yet?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clayb34 View Post
    Has anyone tried to upgrade to larger discs and calipers on the front of these cars yet?
    The 2017's onward have larger front disc rotors and rear drums compared to the '14's & '15's. That's why 13" rims won't fit on a 2017 or newer but will fit on a 2014 or 2015

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-24-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The 2017's onward have larger front disc rotors and rear drums compared to the '14's & '15's. That's why 13" rims won't fit on a 2017 or newer but will fit on a 2014 or 2015
    Does the 17 use bigger pads too? I think the calipers are the same said in a 2015/2014 rotor upgrade post on here.

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowtuy View Post
    Does the 17 use bigger pads too? I think the calipers are the same said in a 2015/2014 rotor upgrade post on here.
    All mirage use the same size calipers and pads, the only difference is the caliper bracket. Smaller rotors, shorter brackets, Larger rotors, longer brackets.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    bummer

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowtuy View Post
    bummer
    Why do you want bigger brake pads?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)