Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgraded rotors & brake pads

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    There are fellows who have used ceramic pads like Loren, Cobrajet, Fummins to name a few and all of them say there's a noticeable improvement in braking compared to stock.

I have the Powerstop Z16 but have not yet installed it. I am contemplating onto upgrading into slotted rotor as well but I am wondering if it is justified or it's just overkill?
    I don't think its overkill....well for me at least. I did get slotted rotors and ceramic pads as a gift.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I contacted Rally Parts and asked about a big brake kit for a 2015 HB Mirage. They didnt have anything.

Does anyone know of a big brake kit for the Mirage besides going with the bigger brakes from the 2017 and up Sedan?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowtuy View Post
    My two cents on ceramic is avoid duralast gold... they grind at random times no clue why but the sound goes away quickly. Even with new rotors !!!!!!!!!
    I just want good reliable pads I'd never heard of the japanese brand akebono until scotty kilmer mentioned it but thats what I am gonna try

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdollatari View Post
    I just want good reliable pads I'd never heard of the japanese brand akebono until scotty kilmer mentioned it but thats what I am gonna try
    I've heard Scotty mention Akebono brake pads numerous times, too! People can think what they want, but this guy doesn't endorse products for money. Some companies would probably pay him to shut up!

If I was shopping for brake pads, I would start with RockAuto.com.

I like RockAuto.com because they do a very nice job of splitting products into categories. Their prices seem to reflect - "you get what you pay for", too.

When I look up my 2017 Mirage, rockauto.com offers 15 different brake pads. Those 15 brake pads are divided into 3 categories (economy, premium, & daily driver). I like this, because I know very little about brake pads. This gives me a good reference point of what is available for a Mirage, & what I should expect to pay. Even if I pay my local mechanic to do the work, he would be open to something I suggest. He may guide me in a different direction, but having this background information helps me make a wise-decision. If not a wise decision, I feel more comfortable about it at least!

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    You don't have to wander to far to get Akebono pads, our OEM brake pads are made by Akebono themselves.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodehunter View Post
    You don't have to wander to far to get Akebono pads, our OEM brake pads are made by Akebono themselves.

Apparently, Akebono makes OEM brake pads for a number of manufacturers -

https://www.archautoparts.com/domest...kebono-brakes/

I didn't realize a lot of their brake pads are built in North America.

https://akebonobrakes.com/profile

9,000 employees worldwide & 3,500 of them are in North America.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I'm just wandering what's so special in Akebono's brake pads that would justify the high cost.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-.../251726546990I
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=4605B005&...ref=aw_s_fkmr0

Its price is even higher than an EBC Ultimax..
    https://www.amazon.com/EBC-Brakes-UD...ype=automotive

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Must be resellers thinking that theres low supply online of those brake pads trying to sell at a ridiculous price. Most expensive ones on Rockauto are like $33. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...brake+pad,1684
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is it possible to upgrade to disk brakes in the rear? How hard is something like that to do?

I would be interested in upgrading the brakes all around on this car. I have no illusions that it would benefit me or anything, would just like to mess with it for something to do. Seems like balancing braking force front/back is challenging, and many OEM systems use sensors to dynamically transfer braking force between front and rear. Does the Mirage have something like that? What's the factory brake balance? The rear drum brakes seems very weak...

I think it'd be a pita to convert to rear disc brakes.
    The hub wheel bearing is part of the drum, the spindle is part of the trailing axle. Coming up with a hub and bearing set up that fits could be tricky, once you have that figured you'll need a rotor.

Then figure out what caliper to use, and how to make the e-brake work. Use a caliper style ebrake might be simplest. Or just don't bother, they're over rated.

Mounting the caliper would be the easiest part.

Then you gotta figure out the brake bias deal.... Sounds like a work I don't want to do.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)