Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falken Sincera SN250 still worth it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Falken Sincera SN250 still worth it?

The price on these keep crawling up. Now $74 a pop. Is this higher price still worth it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    The price on these keep crawling up. Now $74 a pop. Is this higher price still worth it?
    If you are talking 165/65r14 tires only, I would consider better options for less money.

Why?

Falken SN250A A/S are a 320BB tire, & that is not an outstanding rating by today's standards. Falken tires are $65.28 when I look @ Walmart today.

I would rather buy the Federal SS-657 for $49.14 (Walmart), because they have 420AA rating (less money & better rating). Several forum members have been happy with these.

I have a pair of Nexen N'Priz AH5 tires (460AA/50,000 mile warranty) that are currently $74.98 (Walmart), but I bought them on sale last summer for $50/tire (tires-easy.com).

If I was buying all-season 165/65r14 tire today, I would consider the Kumho Solus TA31 (500AA/60,000 mile warranty) for $60.81 (Walmart). My second choice would be the Federal SS-657. I also have a pair of the Federal (paid around $40/tire at the time), but I haven't tried the Kumho tires. The Kumho tires have appeared on the scene more recently.

For some odd reason they cheapen a very good Falken tire? The "A" added to SN250A indicates a cheaper/inferior tire in my opinion.

I did not do your shopping for you. I just used Walmart for a price comparison. I tend to compare prices @ walmart.com, simpletire.com, tires-easy.com, and tirerack.com. There are other places, too. Free-shipping is usually included in the pricing of these tires from these places.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-05-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you are talking 165/65r14 tires only, I would consider better options for less money.

Why?

Falken SN250A A/S are a 320BB tire, & that is not an outstanding rating by today's standards. Falken tires are $65.28 when I look @ Walmart today.

I would rather buy the Federal SS-657 for $49.14 (Walmart), because they have 420AA rating (less money & better rating). Several forum members have been happy with these.

I have a pair of Nexen N'Priz AH5 tires (460AA/50,000 mile warranty) that are currently $74.98 (Walmart), but I bought them on sale last summer for $50/tire (tires-easy.com).

If I was buying all-season 165/65r14 tire today, I would consider the Kumho Solus TA31 (500AA/60,000 mile warranty) for $60.81 (Walmart). My second choice would be the Federal SS-657. I also have a pair of the Federal (paid around $40/tire at the time), but I haven't tried the Kumho tires. The Kumho tires have appeared on the scene more recently.

For some odd reason they cheapen a very good Falken tire? The "A" added to SN250A indicates a cheaper/inferior tire in my opinion.

I did not do your shopping for you. I just used Walmart for a price comparison. I tend to compare prices @ walmart.com, simpletire.com, tires-easy.com, and tirerack.com. There are other places, too. Free-shipping is usually included in the pricing of these tires from these places.
    One good thing about ordering online from WallyWorld is that you can take them to any Walmart service center, bring your receipt and it's just like you bought them in store with no extra charges for mounting or balancing. You'll save the additional $10 per tire additional fee. You have to order through walmart.com and not through the walmart marketplace.

From their website.

Basic tire installation package, $15 per tire
    Includes tire mounting, valve stems/TPMS service pack, lifetime balance and rotation every 7,500 miles and 50-mile lug re-torque. Additional $10 per tire fee applies to tires not purchased at Walmart or Walmart.com (fee will be applied to tires purchased on Walmart Marketplace).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Mark (03-05-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Why?

Interesting info on treadwear ratings: https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/utqg-rating

How can you use UTQG treadwear ratings when researching and buying tires?
    First you have to understand the limitations of the treadwear ratings information. While the UTQG treadwear rating is mandated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration*, and the testing process is supposed to be the same for all manufacturers, the NHTSA does not test tires and assign the ratings. Rather, it's the tire manufacturers' duty to conduct (or commission) the testing.

This means that UTQG treadwear ratings are not established by an objective testing organization, or according to a universal ratings scale. A "400" treadwear rating from Tire Manufacturer A doesn't necessarily equal a "400" treadwear rating from Tire Manufacturer B; the mileage lifespan of the two tires under equal driving conditions could be quite different."
    "Treadwear ratings are therefore most informative and helpful when comparing tires from the same manufacturer. If you're trying to choose between tires of the same type from the same manufacturer, the treadwear rating could be a deciding factor. Tire manufacturers could be accused of inflating their treadwear ratings to appear superior to the competition, or even being conservative on the ratings in certain circumstances. However, within their own product range, the ratings should correspond to actual testing results."
    "When comparing treadwear grades of tires from two or more manufacturers, treadwear ratings are less instructive. However, we wouldn’t say that it’s pointless to consider the ratings from different manufacturers."

I was actually looking at the Vreidstein on tire rack for the extra snow rating but good all year round

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    One good thing about ordering online from WallyWorld is that you can take them to any Walmart service center, bring your receipt and it's just like you bought them in store with no extra charges for mounting or balancing. You'll save the additional $10 per tire additional fee. You have to order through walmart.com and not through the walmart marketplace.

From their website.

Basic tire installation package, $15 per tire
    Includes tire mounting, valve stems/TPMS service pack, lifetime balance and rotation every 7,500 miles and 50-mile lug re-torque. Additional $10 per tire fee applies to tires not purchased at Walmart or Walmart.com (fee will be applied to tires purchased on Walmart Marketplace).
    I have two different local small town mechanics that will mount 4 tires for $30 cash. They don't even make up a slip for it. I usually give them $40, or tip the guy who mounted them for me an extra $10.

If you don't have that option, however, using a place like Walmart is a great suggestion. Tirerack.com will suggest a tire installer in most areas, but I have never explored the costs on that. Sometimes, my local tire guys have the best deal on tires & like supporting them, too.

How you are going to have them mounted/balanced is something to consider & not overlook.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To be clear I am referring to Falken Sincera SN250 A/S 175/65R14 82 T Tire with the 80k mile rating. The federals aren't rated for anywhere near that life.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post

How can you use UTQG treadwear ratings when researching and buying tires?

I was actually looking at the Vreidstein on tire rack for the extra snow rating but good all year round

The same 175/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250 A/S tire has a 720AB & comes with a 80,000 mile warranty. So by Falken's own standards the 165/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250A A/S has an inferior rating.

I am very aware of the deception involved with UTQG ratings, but they do give a person a general guide.

I suspect a Dunlop 340AB tire or Bridgestone 260AB may not wear as well, even though Bridgestone claims their Potenze RE92 are a 40,000 mile warranty tires despite their low rating. Dunlop makes no claim. Weak sidewalls are my concern with Enasave tires. I wouldn't buy them at any price. If Dunlop admitted it's an issue & they addressed it, I would feel differently.

UTQG are ball park figures. They are not precise, but it gives you something to compare apples-to-apple with. It's not perfect.

My point is the current 165/65r14 Falken Sincera SN250A A/s factory tires is not of the same rating as their well-known Falken Sincera SN250 A/S tires that come with 80,000 mile warranty.

If you are interested in winter traction, the Vredestein Quatrac 5 are surely a good all-weather option to consider. My guess is that they may wear faster, but they would outlast most snow tires used during the summer months.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-05-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To be clear I am referring to Falken Sincera SN250 A/S 175/65R14 82 T Tire with the 80k mile rating. The federals aren't rated for anywhere near that life.
    That is why I started my statement with - If you are talking about 165/65r14 tires...., because the factory size Falken tires being put on the 2021 Mirages are not rated as good.

If you are shopping for 175/65r14, you have lots of options. I have never owned Falken tires myself, but a forum member from the past (Steve's plastic car with over 300,000 miles) was really impressed by them. Once again, he was impressed because he was getting them very cheap back then ($30-40/tires from Walmart). When they went up in price, he tried something cheaper. That was a couple years ago, however.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is why I am trying to figure out what price they are worth it. If a normal cheap $40 tire only makes it 40,000 miles it seems to me it would be worth it at $74 if these can make it to 80k and save one set of installation costs/disposal costs and hours of my time.

I wasn't even aware they started a 165 model or it shipped with newer mirages.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would suggest using a site like tires-easy.com to start tire shopping.

Select 175/65r14 tires, pick few decent tire brands, & start comparing prices/tread warranty/read reviews.

I would surely consider the Falken Sincera SN250 A/S. I might compare them to offerings from Cooper, Kumho, Uniroyal, or any other brand that sounds good to you. The Uniroyal Tiger Paws are popular in areas that get snow, too. Some companies like Cooper have offered buy 4 tires & get a $40-60 gift VISA card in the spring & fall. Cooper was recently bought by Goodyear. I hope Goodyear doesn't ruin them. They are the two remaining American tire companies.

Once you find a couple tires you may like, compare the prices elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with getting tires from Walmart & having them mount/balance them for you. I don't live close to large tire chain stores.

Shopping for 165/65r14 tires is easier, because of less choices.

I am just trying to be helpful. Others may have way better suggestions than me!!!!