Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded rotors & brake pads

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Oh, the Mirage definitely has brake biasing in the it has drums in the rear vs discs on the front. I suppose what I should have wrote was that modern cars don't rely on physical brake biasing. They can mostly just slap whatever on there and let the computer figure out the rest.
    This is true. You can tell EBD is working when you feel at times the pedal is stiff, and other times mushy. I turned off ABS one time by pulling out the fuse, and the pedal stiffness and response has never been so consistent. The brakes don't "hesitate" when you put your foot on the pedal when ABS is active, they just bite instantly. However, one can easily lock-up the brakes with a gentle tap on the pedal. It's that sensitive.

Last edited by bloodehunter; 01-03-2021 at 08:41 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Has anyone put the (I believe larger )sedan set up on a hatch? Front and rear? I’m thinking this should work on my ‘21

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I remember right the sedan and hatch have the same brakes on them for the 17+ vehicles.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    Has anyone put the (I believe larger )sedan set up on a hatch? Front and rear? I’m thinking this should work on my ‘21
    The front rotors were made larger/upgraded for the 2017+ Mirage & G4 (first year the sedan appeared). The brake pads are same for the Mirage & G4 (2014-current year).

2014-15 Mirage hatchback will have smaller rotors, but it still have/use the same brake pads as the 2017+ models.

A 13" rim could be used on a 2014-15 Mirage. A 13" rim would not fit on a 2017+ Mirage/G4, because of the larger front rotors.

Your 2021 hatchback brakes are no different than the G4. The G4 first appeared in 2017 when this brake upgrade was made for the both vehicles (Mirage/G4).

I looked up brake pads (rockauto.com) for a 2015 Mirage, & they are the same part # as a 2017+ Mirage/G4.

The rotor part numbers, however, are different between a 2014-15 Mirage compared to a 2017+ Mirage/G4.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-05-2021 at 04:46 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes. I see where I was mistaken.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As is covered in some detail in prior posts in this thread, I would like to reiterate the warning that (at least, based on my findings) messing with the brake system on modern vehicles which use ABS and ESC requires a significant amount of finesse. If you go in and just slap 'bigger brakes' on it without considering the rest of the system, the end result will very likely be a vehicle which actually has a longer stopping distance and is now less safe to drive.

If you are serious about actually upgrading the brakes on the Mirage, you should consider reaching out to some companies which specialize in 'big brake' kits. From what I have read, they generally end up putting a few days of testing with different pad/rotor combinations for each different make/model they release kits for. Us Mirage owners don't usually have the funds or the parts availability to do something like that :P

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    As is covered in some detail in prior posts in this thread, I would like to reiterate the warning that (at least, based on my findings) messing with the brake system on modern vehicles which use ABS and ESC requires a significant amount of finesse. If you go in and just slap 'bigger brakes' on it without considering the rest of the system, the end result will very likely be a vehicle which actually has a longer stopping distance and is now less safe to drive.

If you are serious about actually upgrading the brakes on the Mirage, you should consider reaching out to some companies which specialize in 'big brake' kits. From what I have read, they generally end up putting a few days of testing with different pad/rotor combinations for each different make/model they release kits for. Us Mirage owners don't usually have the funds or the parts availability to do something like that :P
    He was just mistaken. No big deal. He thought the G4 had larger brakes than a Mirage hatchback. Now that he realizes he has the same brakes as the G4, I think his thoughts about upgrades have moved on to something else.

Anyone with a 2017+ Mirage/G4 has larger front brake rotors than the 2014-15 Mirage. That was the brake upgrade in 2017.

I drive a Mirage so I have funds for the things that I really like to do. Cars are just money pits.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'm finally doing the brake rotor and caliper bracket upgrade. I have a 2014 Mirage ES.
    Question - can I also swap out the 15" wheels from the later GT / LE models? I saw online, in several places, that the 15" wheel bolt pattern is 4x100 but other places 4x120.

The bolt pattern is the same from 2012-2019. I'm 99.999999% sure it's the same from 2012-2021 Mirage. 4x100mm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks!