Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgraded rotors & brake pads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Lightbulb Upgraded rotors & brake pads

Changed to a slotted & cross-drilled rotor + bendix brake pad setup for the front because let's face it, the rear is hopeless to upgrade (unless someone comes out with a disc brake option).

Initial feedback is nosier than our OEM ones. Stopping power is mildly better than stock. I think the best test would be to bring it to the track. Soon.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    1 upgrade for the rear is off the Mirage sedan/G4/Attrage. They use 8" drum brakes, the hatch only uses 7"
    Also the front brakes are 1" bigger on the sedan due to weight being more.
    Those drilled ones look nice

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    1 upgrade for the rear is off the Mirage sedan/G4/Attrage. They use 8" drum brakes, the hatch only uses 7"
    Any additional info? Would be nice to know if the front/rear can be direct bolt-on to the hatch.

PS: To anyone looking into brake upgrade, is never a good idea to upgrade the rear without upgrading the front as well, it would upset the brake balance.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    Any additional info? Would be nice to know if the front/rear can be direct bolt-on to the hatch.

PS: To anyone looking into brake upgrade, is never a good idea to upgrade the rear without upgrading the front as well, it would upset the brake balance.
    They run the exact same, just an inch bigger front and rear.
    You could just upgrade the rear. Front biased system anyway, and the rear is mainly just for the hand brake.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    They run the exact same, just an inch bigger front and rear.
    You could just upgrade the rear. Front biased system anyway, and the rear is mainly just for the hand brake.
    Not true. The rear does indeed do much less work, typically only 20-30% braking versus the front.
    My hobby car is the Integra, i used to only upgraded the front with NSX rotors and calipers, it does indeed provide much more braking power, but it horribly upset the braking bias/balance. I later on upgraded the rear with RSX Type-R ones to gain the original brake balance back and is much nicer... the car doesn't "dip" anymore.

The same can be said for the Mirage. If one upgrade only the rear, they can potentially lock the rear tires up in the rain and/or have undesirable effect... Anyhow, if you or anyone else drove their Mirage, and they feel that the brake bias is not to their taste, obviously they can tune it to their liking, maybe upgrading the rear only... but the potential risk should be mentioned imho.

PS: Is normal to have a "front bias" brake system, because it is easier to control and the added weight shifted to the front gives better traction for cornering (up to a point until the tires grip gives).

Is good to know they are direct bolt on, I may upgrade both of them in the future, thank you.

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What all is required to upgrade to the larger diameter? Just replace the entire drum assembly?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phaux View Post
    What all is required to upgrade to the larger diameter? Just replace the entire drum assembly?

For the front, going from the HB rotor to the G4 rotor only requires replacing the caliper support. While at the rear drum, you might have to replace the whole brake drum assembly altogether.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Good info Mistah JT. Where did you find it?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Good info Mistah JT. Where did you find it?
    Mitsubishi site.
    Shows full specs of both. I have already compared them :P

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mistah JT For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-16-2014),MirageRally (12-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good idea. Ship us some G4 parts from the homeland!

EDIT:
    If the brakes are different between the sedan and hatch, I'm willing to bet that the springs and shocks are different too! We just need to find out if everything is bolt-on-able or if there are any differences in how they are mounted.