Thread: Human Power For The Win! (Bicycle pump for adjusting tire pressure)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Human Power For The Win! (Bicycle pump for adjusting tire pressure)

Name:  IMGP0039.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  93.4 KB

Hi guys, check out what I bought to maintain proper tire pressure! I know most people suggest to get those 12v air compressors, but for just topping off single digit PSI..really seems like a hassle to me. Also, I love not having to bother with the cable, and having to turn car to accessory or actually turn on the car to fill up the tires! It's a double barrel bicycle pump, and as I can attest, it DEFINITELY works! I was curious to see if it was 'possible' and when I read that bike tires have PSI ratings of usually 2-3 times that of cars, I knew it would be. At the time before I filled my tires up, I was off by 4 PSI from recommended on each tire (recommended is 35 PSI, so I was at 31). It only took me 15 pumps with the foot pump to get the missing 4 PSI. Another thing I love doing it this way, I do not have hear a noisy, clanky compressor. Honestly, with those dinky 12v air compressors for cars, they're really not that fast. I'm actually thinking I'm faster with the bike pump than my dad's 12v compressor..

Name:  IMGP0036.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  90.8 KB

Above image for size comparison between wheel of the Mirage and the foot pump.

Name:  IMGP0041.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  89.9 KB

Above image for pumpage action. One thing of note. If you are not somewhat physically coordinated, do not use this method. I needed to quasi stand on the pump lever to let my meager weight and gravity assist me.

Anyways, that's it! I like the fact that the car is green getting insane gas mileage, so why not take it even further and make your tire fill ups greener too?

-Charlie-

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-23-2014)