Thread: When will the used ones be available?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

When will the used ones be available?

Seems to me most folks keep their cars at least 3-4 years, and maybe Mirage owners are a little more frugal/reasonable and will keep them longer.

On the other hand, maybe some people will tire of the novelty of 74hp and want to try something new. There will possibly be a fleet market to be sold off too. It seems there are no leases to be returned.

Any guesses how long I would have to wait to buy a good used 2014 Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I probably will not be able to find what I would want used.

Pretty much every one I have seen around here is a CVT. No thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    I probably will not be able to find what I would want used.

Pretty much every one I have seen around here is a CVT. No thanks!
    Glad to see there are so many 5 speed manual drivers out there. Before joining this forum, I thought maybe I was weird for wanting one instead of an automatic. A good portion of my friends that I grew up with also prefer stick, but lately I have not really found anyone that is remotely interested in a manual...since there are no used Mirage manuals available, I
    guess it's time to buy a brand spanking new Mirage then!!

M-88 makes a good point about the manuals. It may take quite a while for one of those to show up (if that's what you're aiming for). If you're OK with CVT, fleet cars will show up in a year or two.

I will probably be in the same situation, looking for a used one at some point. But because the car isn't a huge seller, you may have to be prepared to travel to get one.

I was lucky enough to find a 1st generation Honda Insight manual sitting on a used car lot. I'd always wanted one, but didn't think I'd ever find one at a good price. I lucked out, because Honda sold fewer than 500 of them in Canada over 7 years. A Mirage will be considerably easier to find than that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would certainly prefer a manual, but I could live with CVT if the price was right. I am looking at both the Mirage and the Fit. Used Fits are very expensive, to the point where I actually think a new base model might cost less amortized over a 12 year service life.

Here's an interesting question about reliability in a used vehicle: given the "average" driver, would a manual be more susceptible to damage/wear than a CVT? Seems the manual has all sorts of potential to ride the clutch or grind the gears, while sophisticated computers prevent folks from really messing with an automatic. Of course a clutch is much cheaper to replace than a CVT unit, but maybe a used CVT isn't such a bad idea?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post

Here's an interesting question about reliability in a used vehicle: given the "average" driver, would a manual be more susceptible to damage/wear than a CVT? Seems the manual has all sorts of potential to ride the clutch or grind the gears, while sophisticated computers prevent folks from really messing with an automatic. Of course a clutch is much cheaper to replace than a CVT unit, but maybe a used CVT isn't such a bad idea?
    JATCO (Nissan) CVTs have proven themselves to be extremely unreliable. They were so bad that Nissan had to extend the CVT warranty on all of their vehicles to 120,000 miles. They fail above 60K miles.

In something low power like a Mirage, it's probably not too big of an issue. My concern would be buying a mirage for $6000 ... then blowing the CVT and having to pay $7000 for a new CVT.

The thing is: you'll know if the manual is damaged/worn when you drive it. If it's been abused, you'll hear/feel worn synchros -- for example when downshifting from 4-3 or 3-2 is usually when that problem rears its grindy head.

The clutch is a bit of a wild card as the engagement point can be adjusted, so you may not know how often that's been done. (Though you can test to see if a clutch is "terminal" by intentionally trying to cause it to slip ... flooring the gas in an upper gear, or with the handbrake applied.)

Can't speak to CVT's -- never had one.

M88 - FYI, the JATCO CVT7 used in the Mirage has been in production now for 5 years and used in the Mirage since 2012. If there were problems with this one, we ought to know about them by now.

I don't worry about manuals because almost all my driving is highway. The only clutch I've ever replaced in my life burned out not from "normal" wear, but because the lever arm outside the gearbox (where the cable attaches) had corrosion on it pysically preventing the clutch from completely engaging.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I don't worry about manuals because almost all my driving is highway. The only clutch I've ever replaced in my life burned out not from "normal" wear, but because the lever arm outside the gearbox (where the cable attaches) had corrosion on it pysically preventing the clutch from completely engaging.
    I'm not too worried about either, really, with the 10 year warranty on the powertrain. 20 years ago a mechanic told me that there really wasn't anything wrong with the auto transmission anymore. My Oldsmobile had auto and it lasted 17 years - went to the wrecker with a fine engine/transmission. The ford has 200k km on the clock and so far the manual has lasted. I'm thinking that 200k km is reasonable for either, and for me that represents about 15 years of driving. I would prefer the manual, but not for really practical reasons - a used CVT with air would be just fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Any guesses how long I would have to wait to buy a good used 2014 Mirage?
    Thread: OOps! FS: Someone bought a 5MT 2014 Mirage, now for sale 250 km later.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Good Eye! And a good price.

Still, 250km - thing's almost worn out!