Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tinted Windows w/ 3m Crystalline

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love the way the tint makes a car look. However, since I live so close to Lake Superior(which is 44 degrees right now) I would not really benefit from the A/C help they give. Use A/C maybe 10 times a year. Also, when I go to work in the winter it is dark, when I come home it is dark. I have to back up the driveway which can get very narrow as the snow piles up. We had 324 inches of snow last winter and the banks all the way down the driveway were easily 10' high and packed hard by the snowblower. Even though it looks awesome with tint, I'd rather not get it and significantly increase the chances of backing into or scraping the side of an icy snowbank. If I didn't have that situation to deal with, I would go dark as hell!!!

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I love the way the tint makes a car look. However, since I live so close to Lake Superior(which is 44 degrees right now) I would not really benefit from the A/C help they give. Use A/C maybe 10 times a year. Also, when I go to work in the winter it is dark, when I come home it is dark. I have to back up the driveway which can get very narrow as the snow piles up. We had 324 inches of snow last winter and the banks all the way down the driveway were easily 10' high and packed hard by the snowblower. Even though it looks awesome with tint, I'd rather not get it and significantly increase the chances of backing into or scraping the side of an icy snowbank. If I didn't have that situation to deal with, I would go dark as hell!!!

I would be more than happy to trade you some Texas heat for a little of your weather anytime!!!
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Here in our tropical country, you rarely see cars without tints. Mine (3rd from the left) got 3M super-dark tints on the sides and rear, and medium-dark on the front.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I have dark tinted at the back only, front is not done here. Against the law

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agreed. I think our escape is tinted on the windshield back there. I hated it because my Polarized sunglasses can see some imperfections on it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update: FINALLY, the weather allowed me to wash my car! I have Crystalline 70 put on all windows except the windshield. Windshield is not tinted except for a 5 inch strip of 3m Color Stable (it's actually a dark tint) on top, so hopefully that can serve as a comparison of Crystalline vs 'normal' tint.

Name:  img42mod.jpg
Views: 4445
Size:  93.3 KB

Above pic: Don't know how good this pic is since the window reflections are so apparent here..oh well, at least it's purrty.

Name:  IMGP0043.jpg
Views: 3766
Size:  85.7 KB

Above pic: THIS is definitely a good pic to show the clarity of the tint. Awesome right?!

Name:  IMGP0044.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  78.8 KB

Above pic: Inside view from driver seat showing portion of windshield and portion of front window. Remember the windshield (minus the top 5" strip) is un-tinted, so you can compare for clarity. The top strip is MUCH darker than the Crystalline but their heat/UV protection properties are the same (or very close).

So..can you guys tell I tinted my windows, or maybe I am just making it up, you decide!

-Charlie-

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-02-2014),MetroMPG (08-01-2014)

Thanks for the pics.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pics don't capture everything, and while some tint is better than no tint, is 70 the most legal?

My rio may have had 70 up front and 35 elsewhere.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Pics don't capture everything, and while some tint is better than no tint, is 70 the most legal?

My rio may have had 70 up front and 35 elsewhere.

In Texas, you can have all the windows behind the driver as dark as you want. The front 2 windows though can be no darker than 20% if I remember right. You can not put any tint on the windshield, not even a small strip at the top. I'm a former DOT inspector in the state of Texas.

On my 2001 Mirage, I had 20% on the front door windows and 5% on the other 3 back windows. It was VERY nice to prevent people from looking to see what I had in the back seat. But, I did get stopped on I-10 in the Florida pan handle by a state trooper because he thought I was running drugs!!
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    In Texas, you can have all the windows behind the driver as dark as you want. The front 2 windows though can be no darker than 20% if I remember right. You can not put any tint on the windshield, not even a small strip at the top. I'm a former DOT inspector in the state of Texas.

On my 2001 Mirage, I had 20% on the front door windows and 5% on the other 3 back windows. It was VERY nice to prevent people from looking to see what I had in the back seat. But, I did get stopped on I-10 in the Florida pan handle by a state trooper because he thought I was running drugs!!
    That's weird, for Texas here, for the windshield it says different and everywhere else I go:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...windowTint.htm

I'm never having an untinted car EVER again! Well, as long as I live in hot, sunny places that is. What awesome-ness I have been missing!

-Charlie-