Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tinted Windows w/ 3m Crystalline

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Tinted Windows w/ 3m Crystalline

Hi guys, just got all my windows tinted with 3m Crystalline 70. For those that don't know, it's a window film that has all the heat rejection qualities of darker tints without being dark! Only place that I couldn't do it was the front windshield, for which I got a top 5" strip of 3m Color Stable (VLT 20). I wanted to stay 50 state legal (for the most part), so that's why I wanted something that would not black out the windows. It is a WEENSY bit darker than before of course, but I only notice because it's my car and I knew how it was before.

I've never had window tint before! It's amazing! On the way back from the tinting place, the FL heat sun was shining directly on my arm (which I would have felt a LOT before, believe me) and it was like..not even a warm sensation. $400 well spent in my book!

What does everyone else have for tint?? Anyone try the Llumars Air Blue??

Now to completely cocoon my car from the sun, I need to get a sun shade for when I park since my car is always outside..and yes, I hand wax my car, so the exterior is protected as well.

I hope to take some pics of it for everyone to see, but it's a tiny bit dirty right now. Had planned to wash it after the tint job, but FL spring/summer weather makes it such that it rains everyday at this time usually. Will take pics hopefully next week after a good car wash, weather permitting of course.

-Charlie-

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

CrazyJerry (08-03-2014),Daox (07-23-2014),MetroMPG (07-23-2014)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Hi guys, just got all my windows tinted with 3m Crystalline 70. For those that don't know, it's a window film that has all the heat rejection qualities of darker tints without being dark! Only place that I couldn't do it was the front windshield, for which I got a top 5" strip of 3m Color Stable (VLT 20). I wanted to stay 50 state legal (for the most part), so that's why I wanted something that would not black out the windows. It is a WEENSY bit darker than before of course, but I only notice because it's my car and I knew how it was before.

I've never had window tint before! It's amazing! On the way back from the tinting place, the FL heat sun was shining directly on my arm (which I would have felt a LOT before, believe me) and it was like..not even a warm sensation. $400 well spent in my book!

What does everyone else have for tint?? Anyone try the Llumars Air Blue??

Now to completely cocoon my car from the sun, I need to get a sun shade for when I park since my car is always outside..and yes, I hand wax my car, so the exterior is protected as well.

I hope to take some pics of it for everyone to see, but it's a tiny bit dirty right now. Had planned to wash it after the tint job, but FL spring/summer weather makes it such that it rains everyday at this time usually. Will take pics hopefully next week after a good car wash, weather permitting of course.

-Charlie-
    Sounds good, would love to see pics!

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Did you manage to have it installed onto the rear screen? I haven't seen a high end clear solar film that can be heat shrunk as of yet. The only ones I've seen have a slight greeny-gold tint, but still clear. Can only fit them onto flat glass though, not curved car screens.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'm not a big tint guy myself as I don't actually care for darker windows that much (looks nice, but its a pain to drive at night). However, I would love the heat rejection qualities of it. Its never been that big of a bother for me so I never really looked into it. Thanks for sharing that there is a tint out there that has the heat rejection without the dark look!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    It's a relatively new film and it works by filtering out the infra-red rays from the sun. The technology is getting better and better and there's now clear solar films that can reduce the heat by about 70%. I think the 3M Crystalline 70 reduces about 50% of the heat?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luxico For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-23-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    According to the 3m Crystalline brochure, CR 70 rejects 97% of Infrared, 99.9% UV, 50% TSER rating (Total Solar Energy Rejected).

@ Luxico - Yes, I have it on the back window as well. I watched the full install. Heat gun was used to shrink it to perfection. My guy even did it to a lesser extent to the side windows as well.

Man, I really wanted to try to do it myself, but I knew I would make a mistake my first several times. With the cost of the Crystalline line though..those would be some expensive mess ups, so I left this task to a pro.

I can actually get cold with the A/C on lowest setting in full FL sun!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Post pics. Need to get mine tinted.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Being a native Texan, all of the vehicles I have owned have gotten window tint. There are even new car dealers near me that have all of the windows tinted on new cars when they come in before they are sold.

The primary reason for the tint is 2 fold;

1. To help the A/C work better. When it is 105 degrees outside with 85% relative humidity, your A/C needs all the help it can get!! The window tint helps out the A/C so much that it's not even funny!! With very dark window tint on my old SRT-4, I had to turn the temp knob off of full cold and move it closer to warm on a 110 degree day while driving through Arizona. This is also in a black car.

2. To help reduce the glare from the bright sun. Without window tint, I find myself squinting a lot. With window tint, it reduces the strain on my eyes which also reduces fatigue on long road trips.

The big downfall, as already stated, it driving at night. Not really forward visibility, but when reversing. So, since I have gotten my windows tinted on my Mirage, once I get out of my cast I will be upgrading the backup lights. I already have the lights here, I just need to install them.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This post is useless without pics. I kid, but I really wanna see how it looks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought an xB about 6 yrs ago, it had full tint, all the cars I've had since have recieved the same (usually within the month of purchase). The look's sweet, and the way it keeps the car cooler and protects the interior far outweighs, IMO, the night visibility issue. Plus it provides some privacy too.

ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)