Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage / Space Star: 4/5 stars on EURO NCAP - crash test result/video

Mirage / Space Star: 4/5 stars on EURO NCAP - crash test result/video

UPDATE: Sept 4, 2013 - Euro NCAP test results are in... see bottom of this post..

When the Mirage went on sale in Australia/N.Z. last month, it didn't yet have an official safety rating. This is the same case in Europe/U.K., where the Mirage / Space Star is just arriving at dealerships ahead of Euro NCAP results.

The car ultimately earned a 5-star crash rating from ANCAP (Australasian New Car Assessment Program). See: Video & details: Mirage crash test - top 5-star rating by ANCAP

The car also earned a best-in-class safety rating in Japan (source).

With the release of the car in Europe/U.K., Mitsubishi has the same goal:

Despite its small size, the Space Star is built around a high efficiency architecture, which is lightweight yet extremely strong and safe, with a five-star EURO NCAP rating being targeted.

http://galwayindependent.com/stories...for-deep-space
    The latest round of EURO NCAP test results will be published next week (March 5). We'll be watching to see if the Mirage / Space Star is in with those results.

UPDATE Sept 4, 2013:

The Euro NCAP rating is 4/5 stars. Results in the 4 categories rated are:

1. ADULT OCCUPANT Total 33 pts | 90%
    2. CHILD OCCUPANT Total 36 pts | 72%
    3. PEDESTRIAN Total 26 pts | 73%
    4. SAFETY ASSIST Total 5 pts | 55%

The relatively poor score in the Safety Assist category is the result of ...

(1) no rear seatbelt reminders (zero points);
    (2) zero points for SPEED ASSISTANCE SYSTEM (details), which is a new measure in the Euro NCAP system meant to reward vehicles which have active speed limiters and "excessive speed" alerts.

Full details (web page): http://www.euroncap.com/results/mits..._star/524.aspx
    Full details (PDF): http://www.euroncap.com/files/524_datasheet.pdf

Test comments

Adult occupant
    The passenger compartment remained stable in the frontal impact. Dummy readings indicated good protection of the knees and femurs of both driver and passenger. Mitsubishi showed that a similar level of protection would be provided to occupants of different sizes and to those sat in different positions. However, dummy readings from the driver's tibia indicated a marginal level of protection for this area. In the side barrier test, the Space Star/Mirage scored maximum points, with good protection of all body areas. Even in the more severe side pole test, protection of the chest was adequate and that of other body regions was good. The seat and head restraint provided good protection against whiplash injuries in the event of a rear-end collision.

Child occupant
    Both dummies were sat in forward-facing seats. In the frontal impact, forward movement of the head of each dummy was not excessive and protection was rated as good. However, chest deceleration in the 1½ year dummy indicated that protection of this area was fair. In the side impact, both dummies were properly contained by their restraints, minimising the likelihood of dangerous head contact with parts of the car interior. The passenger airbag can be disabled to allow a rearward-facing child restraint to be used in that seating position. However, information provided to the driver regarding the status of the airbag was unclear and the system was not rewarded. The group II/III child restraints could not be properly installed in the rear outboard seats. Otherwise, the restraints for which the car is designed could be installed without any problem. Cars sold before 1st September 2013 may differ in the information provided in the user handbook about how to fit the group II/III seat in the front passenger seat. According to Euro NCAP's protocols, such cars would have scored less in the assessment of child restraint installation.

Pedestrian
    The bumper scored maximum points for its protection of pedestrians' legs, with good results in all areas tested. The front edge of the bonnet showed marginal protection of the pelvis in most test locations. The bonnet surface provided predominantly good or adequate protection to the head of a struck pedestrian.

Safety assist
    Electronic stability control is standard equipment and met Euro NCAP's test requirements. The front seats are equipped as standard with a seatbelt reminder system. There is no such system on the rear seats and the Space Star/Mirage does not have a speed limitation device.

=====

See also:

-Thread: Mirage / Space Star: 4/5 stars on EURO NCAP - crash test result/video

-Thread: US: 2014 Mirage IIHS crash test results (videos, pictures)

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

This site says the Mirage has earned 5 stars in Euro NCAP tests:

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/mi...tchback/review

I haven't seen any announcement on the Euro NCAP website though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thats like the Mitsu dealer telling me that the Mirage had recieved the 5 star ANCAP rating here in Oz before it was anounced anywhere else.

You know, I wondered if we could just assume that the EURO NCAP results would be the same as ANCAP, but apparently not:

Are the ratings of different NCAP programs around the world comparable?
    New car assessments program similar to Euro NCAP successfully run in the USA, Japan, Australia, Korea and China. While there are many similarities between the programs, the car selection process, the actual tests, the test criteria and the way that ratings are achieved may vary significantly. This makes it usually impossible to compare results. Euro NCAP is generally considered to be amongst the most stringent and most representative rating programs.

This fact, on top of the marked difference in safety equipment of cars sold outside Europe, makes that Euro NCAP does not allow manufactures to insinuate a Euro NCAP star rating on the basis of other NCAP results.

http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-...2-9bdb18e3b713

Well, the latest EuroNCAP results came out today, and Mirage isn't among them. The mystery deepens.

Next batch of results comes April 24th.

Another month, no results yet for Mirage/Space Star from Euro NCAP.

Next testing round will be published later in May.

Yet some media outlets have said it has earned top marks: UK review (with video): Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback (carbuyer.co.uk)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    darn! I cant wait for the NCAP results!! this.. will be interesting indeed!

Do the car ads in the Philippines usually quote ANCAP or Euro NCAP (or both)?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    No sir, just the ANCAP and the Car Of The Year Award :|

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    This was the main reason I picked the Mirage. 2nd good fuel eco-and 3rd price with fixed price service for 4 years. $250.
    4th the Color-Mullberry-5th radio /blue tooth controls on the steering wheel. The list would go on and on...
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    This site says the Mirage has earned 5 stars in Euro NCAP tests:

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/mi...tchback/review

I haven't seen any announcement on the Euro NCAP website though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.4 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.9 mpg (Imp)