Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirage / Space Star: 4/5 stars on EURO NCAP - crash test result/video

Latest batch of Euro NCAP results just came out... no Mirage/Space Star yet!

Though if you've been shopping for a new Dacia Sandero, your crash performance questions are answered: http://www.euroncap.com/results/dacia/sandero/517.aspx

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Still no Mirage in this month's test announcements.... and it looks like they're taking the rest of the summer off, because the next ones aren't due until September.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Test results are in.

4/5 stars overall - details added to the first post of this thread.

In the Supermini class, Space Star/Mirage scored the highest so far in 2013 for front occupant protection and pedestrian protection. Lowest far in 2013 for child (seat) protection, and tied for lowest in the Safety Assist category.

Added 2 videos to the first post as well: crash tests, plus test of ESC (electronic stability control)

Mitsu UK has put out a press release where they say they're happy with the 4/5 Euro NCAP rating:

These are excellent results, better than those of Mirage direct competitors and consistent with Mitsubishi Motors’ engineering objectives within the technical constraints (packaging) of these small upper-A/lower-B-Segment cars.
    http://www.mitsubishi-media.co.uk/release/793/

And another source says the reason it didn't achieve a 5-star rating... "is because it didn't meet the 65% minimum for safety assist."

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/mi...deo-66516.html

To score well in that category, the car would have required: rear seatbelt status reminder; driver warning where speed limit exceeded; or active speed limiter.

Full Mitsu UK release:

MITSUBISHI MIRAGE AWARDED 4-STAR RATING AT EURO NCAP 2013 PROTOCOL TEST

Sep 6, 2013

CIRENCESTER, UK - Euro NCAP has released the result of its latest crash test campaign where Mitsubishi Motors’ all-new Mirage was featured. Overall, Mirage achieved a very high 4-star rating (2013 protocol).[1]
    In details:

• Adult Occupant: 90%
    • Child Occupant: 72%
    • Pedestrian: 73%
    • Safety Assist: 55%

These are excellent results, better than those of Mirage direct competitors and consistent with Mitsubishi Motors’ engineering objectives within the technical constraints (packaging) of these small upper-A/lower-B-Segment cars.
    A safe driving experience
    As a reminder, Mirage’s “Global Small” architecture has been engineered to offer a high level of safety – both active and passive – within its compact dimensions, with a host of built-in safety features.
    Complying with the times, Mirage is built around a high-efficiency architecture which proves to be both lightweight yet strong and safe, with a good level of safety within its compact dimensions and similar to cars of a similar size:

• Starting point was Mitsubishi Motors’ patented “RISE” (“Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution”) active structure, meant to efficiently absorb an impact from all directions and to disperse it.
    • Improving on it for Mirage, Mitsubishi R&D added straight and large section front cross-members, so called “Multi-load pass frame”. Together with a reinforced cabin, they contribute to better energy management in case of a front crash.
    • In the area of pedestrian safety, Mirage does obviously comply with the new EU regulations enforced from 2013, incl.:
      • Head protection:
        • High(er) bonnet line meant to create a larger buffer between (soft) bonnet panel and (hard) engine underneath
        • Crushable energy absorbing cowl top / wiper area and front fenders

• Leg protection:
        • Energy absorbing frame behind front bumper
        • Energy absorbing headlamp area.

• Mirage front seats offer themselves a high safety level with double pre-tensioner (retractor and lap outer) + force limiter seatbelts as well as a built-inwhiplash injury reduction design.
    • Door and tailgate latches feature a disengaging function to reduce the risk of unexpected opening in the event of a crash.
    • Last but not least, Mirage is available with:
      • 6 airbags standard (incl. side & curtain)
      • Standard active safety features, incl:
        • ABS + Active Stability Control + Traction Control + Brake Assist
        • Hill Start Assist (CVT only) + Emergency Stop Signal System

- See more at: http://www.mitsubishi-media.co.uk/re....JTlt1aRX.dpuf

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    To me Mirage/Space Star has 5 rating star. Europe has really gone insane with their rating measurement system. Speed assistance system? Has they all LOST their FRICKIN' mind??? I don't want to drive a car that beeps every time I exceed the speed limit, it's my own business, I find it extremely annoying that the car beep every time I didn't put my safety belt on while driving to the garage door and parking my car after opening the garage door!!
    And how about driving in Germany?? NO SPEED LIMIT!!

I love Mitsubishi for being rational ....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Yep, the new "Safety Assist" speed related ratings are going to be very contentious.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Am certainly against it

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)