Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve noise on start-up!

Thanks for the update. What year is your Mirage? (You should make a garage entry! Garage empty: add car)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    cookiemonster,

I would like to run 5w-30 or 10W-30 in my 2017 mirage. You have a lot of experience running higher weight oil in your mitsu. Thank you for all the insight you gave.
    I was just wondering how cold it gets where you are? I am worried about oil flow at colder temperatures. Where i live we are seldom below 0, but it does happen. Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When we took our very recently purchased 2015 Mirage DE for a test drive, we heard some tapping in the front, on the first half of our drive. On the way back to the used car dealer, the sound was completely gone. The dealer said it probably had been a week and a half since the car had been driven. Since then, we've barely heard any tapping even right after start up. The main Mirage sound I notice now is the flutey sound of the exhaust system, which either is intermittent or which I am getting used to.

The dealer did an oil change, using Havoline full-synthetic 0W20, but I don't know the brand or specs of the filter. I'm not at all concerned about using 0W20, especially since my 2015 Mirage manual calls for it. Most of the time we drove our 2006 Scion XA (just traded in), it lived on Toyota 0W20 full synthetic, with no engine problems, and it's manual called for 5W30 (conventional or synthetic). At the time, people said the Toyota synthetic was just relabeled Mobil 1.

As I read this thread, I see only one case of a person having a serious problem that "could" (among other possible explanations) be related to deficiencies with a Mobil 1 oil filter. Is there some kind of case file showing Mobil 1 labeled filters are crap? I wouldn't steer clear based on what I am reading here. I don't have any brand loyalty when it comes to Mobil 1 filters, but I don't see a reason to avoid them either.
    Last edited by DonkeyPal; 03-28-2019 at 11:38 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    When we took our very recently purchased 2015 Mirage DE for a test drive, we heard some tapping in the front, on the first half of our drive. On the way back to the used car dealer, the sound was completely gone. The dealer said it probably had been a week and a half since the car had been driven. Since then, we've barely heard any tapping even right after start up. The main Mirage sound I notice now is the flutey sound of the exhaust system, which either is intermittent or which I am getting used to.

The dealer did an oil change, using Havoline full-synthetic 0W20, but I don't know the brand or specs of the filter. I'm not at all concerned about using 0W20, especially since my 2015 Mirage manual calls for it. Most of the time we drove our 2006 Scion XA (just traded in), it lived on Toyota 0W20 full synthetic, with no engine problems, and it's manual called for 5W30 (conventional or synthetic). At the time, people said the Toyota synthetic was just relabeled Mobil 1.

As I read this thread, I see only one case of a person having a serious problem that "could" (among other possible explanations) be related to deficiencies with a Mobil 1 oil filter. Is there some kind of case file showing Mobil 1 labeled filters are crap? I wouldn't steer clear based on what I am reading here. I don't have any brand loyalty when it comes to Mobil 1 filters, but I don't see a reason to avoid them either.
    I wont ever run M1 filters again. I used one once on my 08 Elantra and it had start up rattle which only happened with that filter and no other filter ever. Then I tried one on my mirage because I basically got it for free with an oil change package special and whatya know, rattle.

I've had a good experience with frams top of the line ultra synthetic filter now.

And as far as I recall, toyota uses a lot of moly in their synthetic. It's not M1

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Before the previous reply, I had been looking at several webpages with top five rankings for automotive oil filters for 2019. Every ranked assortment was somewhat different, except that the Mobil 1 Extended Life filter was on every list, and usually in the top two. How can it be dangerous to use?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Mobil 1s are good filters. They are one of the very few that will publish their performance specifications.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

DonkeyPal (03-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Been getting this valve chatter on startup recently. It's gotten colder in the area, so that probably has something to do with it.

Thanks all for sharing the info in the thread. I'm coming up to my first oil change, so I'll see if the issue persists after getting a new oil filter (with the anti-drainback valve/flap). Still on the original factory filter now.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Been getting this valve chatter on startup recently. It's gotten colder in the area, so that probably has something to do with it. Thanks all for sharing the info in the thread. I'm coming up to my first oil change,
    Since you still have the OEM filter, here's what I found they put on our cars when new...
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...actory-filter)
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-23-2020),MetroMPG (12-22-2020),PityOnU (12-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris alan View Post
    cookiemonster,

I would like to run 5w-30 or 10W-30 in my 2017 mirage. You have a lot of experience running higher weight oil in your mitsu. Thank you for all the insight you gave.
    I was just wondering how cold it gets where you are? I am worried about oil flow at colder temperatures. Where i live we are seldom below 0, but it does happen. Thank you in advance for your help!!!
    I'm sorry I didn't see your post until now ... but, if you're still around, to answer your question: it gets down to -7C (20F) on average in the winter where I am, and I've ran both 5w-30 and 10w-30 (both PYB) without issue. No unusual engine noises - it runs very smoothly on both!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Changing to a thicker viscosity is not a good idea, and will void your warranty. 10W30 can starve your engine for oil, the engine is designed for 0W20, and you should stick with that.

All that said, mine also has a clatter for a couple of seconds when first started, esp when sitting for a long time. I am looking into:

1) the oil filter. I am using the standard Fram Extra Guard, supposedly highly rated. Post above suggested the Fram synthetic, so will probably try that or some other higher quality filter that keeps the oil in the filter.

2) a pre-oiler, which is a more expensive solution.

I am not sure it this is a flaw in the engine. So far it has not caused any observable oil burning, but clatter = engine wear and eventually it will take its toll.

Last edited by hflaisher; 08-26-2021 at 05:37 PM.