Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve noise on start-up!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Hello ExileScooters and welcome to the forum.

I have a question for you: what grommets have you replaced, and why did you choose a much stiffer one? Was anything else changed? Some good quality pictures will help.

Sometimes changing parts causes unintended consequences. You might want to consider installing the original grommets if only to see if that changes anything.

Please let us know what you find.

Last edited by Eggman; 01-04-2018 at 09:04 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    thanks for the welcome sir eggman;
    it was rubber grommets for suzuki multicabs/scrums as what the automotive store told me. unfortunately it did not work out. the tambourine noise is still being heard. so replaced back the original rubber grommets. the service center told me that they suspect the gas was the culprit since i used 95 ron which caused the tambourine noise. i did some digging around and found out that if what they are saying is that its an engine knock then using a higher octane rating that what the manual (minimum 91 ron) is recommending/saying then its should have at least silenced/lessen the noise. also they have checked if was using the prescribed spark plugs when i have not replaced the plugs yet still and are still the original ones that came with the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileScooters View Post
    it was rubber grommets for suzuki multicabs/scrums as what the automotive store told me.
    I was hoping to learn where you installed these grommets on your Mirage, not what vehicle they were made for. Good to know they weren't the cause of your problems anyway.

Have you taken the car back to the dealer for warranty service? They might be able to find the cause of the noise. Have you checked the exhaust heat shields?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    yes sir as of the moment its in the service center. they are flying in a technician from our sta. rosa, laguna philippines assembly plant to help resolve the issue.

i replaced the rubber hangers/grommets of the exhaust pipe.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ExileScooters For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileScooters View Post
    yes sir as of the moment its in the service center. they are flying in a technician from our sta. rosa, laguna philippines assembly plant to help resolve the issue.

i replaced the rubber hangers/grommets of the exhaust pipe.
    Interesting. Was your Mirage made there? That's good news - I hope they find the problem for you. Looking forward to the results of their findings.

Good luck.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    ill post videos of it tomorrow sir

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Happened to me too starting around 47k. I have done my own oil changes every 6 months between 6,000 and 7500 mile intervals using Mobil 1 filters and 0w 20 Subaru oil religiously. Switched to Mobil 1 EP 0w 20 oil and noise increased. After 1k miles on the new oil and filter I changed oil but not filter. Noise continued; after 1000 miles I Added 10 oz Rislone boy did it get louder and more constant. This weekend I drained the oil out with 1000 miles on it (300 w the Rislone additive) and it looked like crap. I assume something broke free when I switched to M1 and the added Rislone did something to clog the filter. Changed the filter and upgraded to Castrol Syntec 10w 30 and the noise is much quieter at idle (almost gone) and very low at cruising. I am in New England. Car calls for 10w 40 and 15w 40 in other markets!!! May go that route. Suspect the 0w 20 is too thin.
    Last edited by bcressy1987; 02-12-2018 at 02:31 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bcressy1987 For This Useful Post:

Mitz (02-13-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bcressy1987 View Post
    Happened to me too starting around 47k. I have done my own oil changes every 6 months between 6,000 and 7500 mile intervals using Mobil 1 filters and 0w 20 Subaru oil religiously. Switched to Mobil 1 EP 0w 20 oil and noise increased. After 1k miles on the new oil and filter I changed oil but not filter. Noise continued; after 1000 miles I Added 10 oz Rislone boy did it get louder and more constant. This weekend I drained the oil out with 1000 miles on it (300 w the Rislone additive) and it looked like crap. I assume something broke free when I switched to M1 and the added Rislone did something to clog the filter. Changed the filter and upgraded to Castrol Syntec 10w 30 and the noise is much quieter at idle (almost gone) and very low at cruising. I am in New England. Car calls for 10w 40 and 15w 40 in other markets!!! May go that route. Suspect the 0w 20 is too thin.
    Doesnt mobile 1 make a 0W-40?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    Doesnt mobile 1 make a 0W-40?
    yes. why?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mobil 0w40 is a very good oil. Would be much better than a 10w40 unless you're in a very got climate year around.

Does the mirage call for 10w40 in other countries??!!

I currently have a M1 filter due to a really good deal, they were basically free but I won't use one again. The last car I had i used one and had a quick short chatter with that filter and now with a m1 on mirage I get the same thing. I think it's M1 filters. I will use wix or purolator pure one from now on.