Thread: Reporting forum spam

Reporting forum spam

It's always fun to see a new member sign up... and it's always disappointing to discover that they're just here to post spam links!

We try to ban spammers and delete their posts A.S.A.P., but sometimes they slip through the cracks (or I sneak away to go snowboarding for the day and a spammer goes crazy while I'm gone).

If you ever see a blatant or even "suspicious" looking post, you can let us know quickly & easily by clicking the "REPORT POST" icon at the bottom left, and Tim or I will check it out. We've given the boot to two today.

(Pic is obviousy from another site, in case you're wondering.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I am running a filter on my clan forum for spam users, not sure if there is a version for vBulletin. It has blocked 1600 spammers since the start of the year!!

Just looked, and there is a vbulletin plugin. This is the site that I use: http://www.stopforumspam.com/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage LS (Australia) 1.2 automatic: 34.8 mpg (US) ... 14.8 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AntInOz For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-28-2013)

Thanks - will check it out.

I'm running anti-spam measures on a number of vB forums. Not that one though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    There has been a rash of spammers lately. Please use the "Report Post" button (triangle with an !) on the lower left of a post to notify us when this happens, and we'll take care of it. Thanks!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks!

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, I wasn't sure what to do that's why I Private messaged you(Daox).
    I really don't understand why people have to try and exploit everything they come across!
    Oh well we'll keep an eye out!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Thanks to all the users that reported a super spammy new user. I perma-banned and deleted all of the posts. Shut that spam clown down!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (12-19-2017),Daox (12-19-2017),Eggman (12-19-2017),MetroMPG (12-19-2017),Pryme (12-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Just wanted to re-post this here as a reminder to our forum regulars to keep watch for spammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Sometimes they post spam as soon as they join. N3CR0 waited almost a full year after joining before posting spam using an Anonymizing VPN. Sometimes these spammers will make a vaguely relevant post then come back later to modify it with their spamvid-diseased ways. This makes the spam difficult to detect by reading latest posts alone.

As a general note, if anyone browsing the forum finds spam links in posts old or new, bring some attention to it and we'll delete the post and ban the spammer. It's difficult to keep watch on this kind of activity but with the help of other forum members it's easier to catch the spammers and kick them off the forum.
    I find posts from new members that are just barely relevant to the discussion to have a high probability of being modified later with spam links.

Thanks for helping keep our forum spam free.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-10-2024),inuvik (03-11-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I've activated the BanHammer a couple of times in the last few weeks after users posted links to "compensated dating" websites.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-11-2024)