Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY - Looking good for the long haul! (Rust protection front/rear wheel well areas)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Charlie,
    I'm referring to anything metal really close to the coast. The salt comes in during very windy storms such as hurricanes - from the salt spray of the turbulent waters and such (or at least that's the way I understand it.) So in general, cars in Florida are not ravaged by salt, but those on the very coast can be subject to salt spray over time. A year or so there was a late 70's Buick Electra (or equivalent land-yacht) and it had very low miles for the year, had spent it's life "on the coast" as it said. From about 15 feet it looked cherry but as the close-ups came in it was a complete mess and not in the areas like we have in the northeast. It is true that US autos from that era seemed to be more prone to corrosion but other comparable models found say in the mid-west, etc do not show that level of degradation. I don't believe I saved that particular ad (pics or it didn't happen I know..)

~CrazyJerry

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the post and pictures. I was wonder about undercoating my mirage myself. I asked the dealer that when I got home with my bluejellybean also I was thinking that would make it have less road noise
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Thanks for the post and pictures. I was wonder about undercoating my mirage myself. I asked the dealer that when I got home with my bluejellybean also I was thinking that would make it have less road noise
    You're welcome for the post debburyl. As I get more and more time with the Mirage, I do feel that it's worth taking care of. Thus far it has exceeded my expectations! Sound deadening with undercoating would be negligible unless you really troweled it on. I have used actual sound deadener pads on other cars with halfway decent results. There are some heavier carpet underlayments that also can help with noise. If you wait a few years maybe your hearing will go downhill as mine has - I find the car fairly quiet!
    I saw a "bluejellybean" like yours on the lot. It was a much nicer blue than my Hyundai was and where mine has the white decal on the bottom, it had a rather bold orangey-red - it looked really cool! I'm watching for one to pop up around here (there's a couple of green ones, one white, one black, and two plasmas.)

~CrazyJerry
    Last edited by CrazyJerry; 08-01-2014 at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool Hello From Bluejellybean:):)

[QHi crazyjerry thanks for your post.im not a spring chicken But i was thinking the undercoating at least around the wheel wells would protect the car and cut down on road noise o heres my bluejellybean UOTE=CrazyJerry;15635]You're welcome for the post debburyl. As I get more and more time with the Mirage, I do feel that it's worth taking care of. Thus far it has exceeded my expectations! Sound deadening with undercoating would be negligible unless you really troweled it on. I have used actual sound deadener pads on other cars with halfway decent results. There are some heavier carpet underlayments that also can help with noise. If you wait a few years maybe your hearing will go downhill as mine has - I find the car fairly quiet!
    I saw a "bluejellybean" like yours on the lot. It was a much nicer blue than my Hyundai was and where mine has the white decal on the bottom, it had a rather bold orangey-red - it looked really cool! I'm watching for one to pop up around here (there's a couple of green ones, one white, one black, and two plasmas.)

~CrazyJerry[/QUOTE]
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    But i was thinking the undercoating at least around the wheel wells would protect the car and cut down on road noise
    Just undercoating around the wheel wells wouldn't take too long at all. Make sure she's clean and mask-off what you don't want any undercoating to get on and blast away. If you do undercoat, please keep in mind that there will be some spray that escapes and will fall downward. In my case there were some black shadows in the dirt driveway afterward.

WallyWorld has a rust-o-leum brand of undercoating and it's advertised to withstand something like 16psi. Around these parts, it's about a dollar more per can than the 3M professional grade. I used the rust-o-leum brand on the front and it REALLY comes out!! It's very thick and you have to move right along with it or it will blob-up and race downward. It looked shiny when dry. Will report how it either holds up over the long haul.
    Good luck if you should undercoat the bluejellybean!

~CrazyJerry

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool hello from bluejellybean :):)

[I might have a professal do it that way he can garrenty his work.i will lwt you know.QUOTE=CrazyJerry;15700]Just undercoating around the wheel wells wouldn't take too long at all. Make sure she's clean and mask-off what you don't want any undercoating to get on and blast away. If you do undercoat, please keep in mind that there will be some spray that escapes and will fall downward. In my case there were some black shadows in the dirt driveway afterward.

WallyWorld has a rust-o-leum brand of undercoating and it's advertised to withstand something like 16psi. Around these parts, it's about a dollar more per can than the 3M professional grade. I used the rust-o-leum brand on the front and it REALLY comes out!! It's very thick and you have to move right along with it or it will blob-up and race downward. It looked shiny when dry. Will report how it either holds up over the long haul.
    Good luck if you should undercoat the bluejellybean!

~CrazyJerry[/QUOTE]
    hello from bluejellybean

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Nicely done, I have to treat my rear brake drum as well, so this will definitely help.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool Hello from bluejellybean:):)

Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Nicely done, I have to treat my rear brake drum as well, so this will definitely help.
    I agree! I think undercoating around the wheel Wells would protect it and cut out of the road noise
    hello from bluejellybean

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    I did mine last week for the rear area. This week will be the front area. I'm using truck bead liner coating. So it also serve as a sound killer too.
    2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satria_wr View Post
    I did mine last week for the rear area. This week will be the front area. I'm using truck bead liner coating. So it also serve as a sound killer too.
    Nice!! For taking the time to do this, your Mirage will love you for years to come!!
    Keep up the good work satria_wr

~CrazyJerry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyJerry For This Useful Post:

satria_wr (10-19-2014)