Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get best MPG on my new Mirage 5 speed? Can I get 50 mpg?

I think either a taller 5th or 6th would be fine for better fuel economy. The point isn't higher top speed, but lower cruising RPM, which would save fuel. If you want acceleration or power for climbing, you downshift.

I've put a super-tall final drive in my ~50 hp Firefly/Metro that no engineer would have ever specified (the f.d. from the 4-cylinder transmission in the 3-cylinder car). Yes, acceleration suffered because it affects all gears (not just top gear), but top gear cruising fuel economy improved, and that was my goal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I Agree with everyone, slow down.you have to realize that the mirage is not a v6 or v8. So what I do is I start off slower and keep your Eco light on and not try to speed down the freeway even though it has the power to go 70 or 80.my last trip I was doing 60 to 65 and. I got 50.1 MPG. And my car is not broke in and I have the Cvt trans.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What's the optimal speed for fuel economy? I think I had heard my Civic is around 50miles an hour or about 80km/h which works out quite well for me

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-space View Post
    What's the optimal speed for fuel economy? I think I had heard my Civic is around 50miles an hour or about 80km/h which works out quite well for me
    With most cars, it is between 45mph and 55 mph. With that said, I have seen cars get their best MPG at 80 mph, the Mirage is not it though.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think its safe to say you can go ~60 and still break 50 mpg, assuming it isn't majority up hill or something.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnBn View Post
    I think its safe to say you can go ~60 and still break 50 mpg, assuming it isn't majority up hill or something.

I drove 65-70 mph driving into a headwind and averaged 42 mpg, so I am pretty sure if you kept it at 60 mph one could get 50 mpg.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    I drove 65-70 mph driving into a headwind and averaged 42 mpg, so I am pretty sure if you kept it at 60 mph one could get 50 mpg.
    That's true if you stay at 60 to 65 your MPG should improve mine has the more it gets broke in.when I face strong winds or hills I keep an even speed or slow down a little to keep in control of the car
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ive been consistently averaging 70-73 mpgs to work on the avg meter and 64-68 mpg on the way home. There is more of a downhill run to work and more of an uphill run on the way home. I stay at about 55mph in a 70 mph zone. Most my drive is on a 3 lane freeway so I don't run into issues. I keep my tires inflated at 65 psi with out any issues. I accelerate slowly and neutral coast down hills. Haven't grown the balls to shut the engine off yet during coasting. I have a hard time adjusting my methods outside of my commute because I know what I can get away with but on drives when not commuting I tend to get around 50-55 mpg highway and 45-50 in town. It is a bit hilly though which makes it easier to gain mpgs, the descent way more than makes up for the mpgs lost in the ascent. Ive learned a lot these last 8 months of owning a "commuter" car in how to save money, especially coming from an evo where ive always been gun it...if not going fast enough gun it some more.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkt Ship View Post
    Ive been consistently averaging 70-73 mpgs to work on the avg meter and 64-68 mpg on the way home. There is more of a downhill run to work and more of an uphill run on the way home. I stay at about 55mph in a 70 mph zone. Most my drive is on a 3 lane freeway so I don't run into issues. I keep my tires inflated at 65 psi with out any issues. I accelerate slowly and neutral coast down hills. Haven't grown the balls to shut the engine off yet during coasting. I have a hard time adjusting my methods outside of my commute because I know what I can get away with but on drives when not commuting I tend to get around 50-55 mpg highway and 45-50 in town. It is a bit hilly though which makes it easier to gain mpgs, the descent way more than makes up for the mpgs lost in the ascent. Ive learned a lot these last 8 months of owning a "commuter" car in how to save money, especially coming from an evo where ive always been gun it...if not going fast enough gun it some more.

I understand what you mean!! When I owned my '03 SRT-4 I didn't care about the gas mileage. All I cared about is hitting triple digit speeds once a day! When I had my turbo V6 Cavalier, my mindset was changing and I averaged 24 mpg with it, with the power to have fun and move when I wanted to. I guess I'm getting old because now I'd rather take it easy and enjoy the ride instead of see how fast I can get there!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Rkt, your MPG is awesome! !!!!!!!! That the way I drive. Gas prices here are OUT OF SIGHT!!!! so I really like it when I go along time before I put more gas in it.Everyone is in a big Hurry for what? A crash?

hello from bluejellybean