Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to start engine if keyless entry battery dies?

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Unfortunately, my lock/unlock distance isnt too far away
    Hold it up to your head. Seriously.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After accidentally jumping into a pool with a my keys in my pocket (never had to worry about it with my manual everything Yaris) I read up on this subject a little. (Luckily it lived, otherwise that would have been an expensive mistake!)

I thought I read somewhere, possibly in a PDF of different country's owner's manual) that there was a conventional key ignition behind the blanking plate on the steering column that you could use if the electronic system ever went haywire. I popped off the cover and there's nothing back there... Do other markets actually have a backup ignition, or did I just imagine reading this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Doubt there is any manual ignition.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    nop, there aren't one on Mirage. there's the keyhole in which you can put the key in and drive the car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Metal key is not needed when inserting fob into fob holder in console. The weak batter in your fob will still give off enough signal to make a signal contact by placing the fob in the fob holder. That's all it is. There is not actual mechanical contact in the fob holder that causes it to start the car. If you simulate a dead battery by taking the batter out of the fob and insert the fob into the fob holder, you will not be able to start the car. The idea is that the battery dies a very slow death. When it starts giving you trouble and won't start the car unless it's sitting in the fob holder, that's a signal to you that it's time to replace the batter ASAP or use your 2nd fob.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    Metal key is not needed when inserting fob into fob holder in console. The weak batter in your fob will still give off enough signal to make a signal contact by placing the fob in the fob holder. That's all it is. There is not actual mechanical contact in the fob holder that causes it to start the car. If you simulate a dead battery by taking the batter out of the fob and insert the fob into the fob holder, you will not be able to start the car. The idea is that the battery dies a very slow death. When it starts giving you trouble and won't start the car unless it's sitting in the fob holder, that's a signal to you that it's time to replace the batter ASAP or use your 2nd fob.
    Not true, if it picks up the weak signal, you won't be able to start the car at all when the remote went in the toilet and blow/short circuit the electrical panel inside (which can easily happen). It would be super stupid not to able to go home.
    Japanese are not that stupid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post

I agree with m4v3r1ck. Just to make sure, I just removed the battery from my key fob. I hit the lock and unlock button a couple of times in order to drain any residual power left in the circuits. I then walked out to me car and hit the start button with the fob in my hand. Nothing happened. So I put the fob in the holder in the center console and hit the start button again. The car started just like normal despite there not being ANY battery in the fob.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

satria_wr (11-12-2014),ToXiQ (11-11-2014)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    I agree with m4v3r1ck. Just to make sure, I just removed the battery from my key fob. I hit the lock and unlock button a couple of times in order to drain any residual power left in the circuits. I then walked out to me car and hit the start button with the fob in my hand. Nothing happened. So I put the fob in the holder in the center console and hit the start button again. The car started just like normal despite there not being ANY battery in the fob.
    I love your signature L.O.L.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to m4v3r1ck For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (11-11-2014)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    I love your signature L.O.L.

If I could make money just from the useless car knowledge that I have inside my head then I would be a millionaire!! Things like a GM F body fuel pump is a direct replacement for a 2nd gen J body. A common lack of compression in cylinder #3 on a Geo Metro is a burned exhaust valves caused by a clogged EGR passage. The crankshaft from a diesel Nissan/Datsun Maxima can be used in a 240/260/280 Z car as a stroker crank which is also good for 9,000 rpm. The Dodge SRT-4 (2003 to 2005 models) computers will pull ignition timing a LOT if it sees that an aftermarket wastegate actuator or boost controller is added. I could keep going but I'll stop now.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJerry View Post
    ...what it the range of of the factory remote FOB? (50ft?)~CrazyJerry
    That's on the manual. I would look it up, but don't have with me right now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)