Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Oil Change

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm just a tick over 500 miles today and i'm doing my first oil change and sending out a sample for analysis. I'm curious to see the amount of metal and other contaminates in the factory fill oil after break in. Using an OEM Mitsu filter and Eneos 0w-20 synthetic oil.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    My dealership recommended 5k miles. 4k isnt too bad if one's anal about it.

As I've already said in the other thread, even at 5k, the oil looked pretty good. May have lasted til 6k.

However, what we haven't been talking about is the filter. Maybe the filter has a shorter life than the oil? The older the filter is, the less it does it's job well.
    It should be standard though .... am not sure about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper View Post
    I'm just a tick over 500 miles today and i'm doing my first oil change and sending out a sample for analysis. I'm curious to see the amount of metal and other contaminates in the factory fill oil after break in. Using an OEM Mitsu filter and Eneos 0w-20 synthetic oil.
    I did my first oil change at 20k ... I tried to change it earlier though, my dealer strongly discourage me to change early. Since it cost quite a lot for just oil change, I just follow their advice. not sure what it cost in the US to change the oil and filter but in NL it's around 100 euro or $135,-

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All of my new cars get an oil change at 500 miles. There are not a lot of contaminates that could be in there but I want to get out any debris from manufacturing and any metal from the rings seating.

I wouldn't go over 7500 miles on oil provided by the dealership. There are oils out there that will be go to 15k miles but nothing that a dealership would stock. I'm a tech at GM dealership and the stuff we offer is good but not good enough that I would consider keeping it in my car for more than 7500 miles. I ran Mobil 5w-30 in my GTO for 6k miles and had the oil analyzed by Blackstone. They said the oil was fine but the additives probably wouldn't last much past 10k miles.

I want to cut open the Mitsu filter and check out the construction, too. Even if your oil will last to 15k miles, if the filter clogs up and bypasses at 8k miles, whats the point?

An average oil change at my dealership is $40 and a full synthetic oil change with Mobil 1 is $80 (up to 5 quarts)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    @Ares
    Mine did run quieter (for the first 10 km) when I changed the oil from 5W30 to 10W40 .... after that ... same ol same ol
    10W40 in your Mirage, or another car?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here we go with the eternal oil debate...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    I did my first oil change at 20k ... I tried to change it earlier though, my dealer strongly discourage me to change early. Since it cost quite a lot for just oil change, I just follow their advice. not sure what it cost in the US to change the oil and filter but in NL it's around 100 euro or $135,-
    $135 would be a ripoff here. Normally it costs around $25.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    $135 would be a ripoff here. Normally it costs around $25.
    You could barely buy the oil and filter required for this car to do it yourself for $25.

Dealer oil change here for the Mirage is $85.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    You could barely buy the oil and filter required for this car to do it yourself for $25.
    Dealer oil change here for the Mirage is $85.
    I don't think Menard's has expanded down into Tennessee yet (SE Missouri so far), but they've been selling synthetic Quaker State 0w20 for $3 a quart after rebate and Bosch filters for $3 as well. $12 for an oil change ain't too shabby.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    10W40 in your Mirage, or another car?
    Mirage.