Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will hold the MPG crown next year?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Who will hold the MPG crown next year?

I've heard recently that Mazda will be applying their high-compression DI Skyactiv technologies to the Mazda 2 for 2016 model year (due 2015). This will result in, depending on the testing cycle, something like 3L/100km (Japan test) or 45mpg (USA test). Both of these beat the Mirage.

Question 1 - Will Mitsubishi compete - perhaps bringing the 1.0L to market or making other changes?

Question 2 - Does the "most efficient non-hybrid" title matter to you, or is excellent efficiency excellent enough when combined with other features/benefits?

Question 3 - The Mazda will employ state-of-the-art-whiz-bang technology. Does that make you like it more or less?

Question 4 - Is anyone aware of other models that might challenge our current champion in the coming year?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

I don't think we'll ever see the 1.0L drivetrain in North America. The 1.2 was savaged by many in the mainstream press, and based on that, I think the 1.0L would cause actual aneurysms.

Though I'd buy one in a heartbeat. ( Poll: 1.0L Mirage engine = 7.5% better fuel economy. Would you choose it? )

Also, the Mazda 2 may not get the best MPG in the entry level trim. Mazda has a history of adding fuel-saving tech as a "feature" you have to pay more to get (like Ford did with the Ford Fiesta 1.0 turbo). With a higher starting price, I don't see the Mazda threatening the Mirage on the total cost of ownership front.

And Mitsu has an ace up its sleeve: engine stop/start. That alone would boost the Mirage's city rating by ~5%-7%, where the car already excels due to its super light weight (which I can't see any other car matching for the foreseeable future).

Lastly: I think Mitsu erred on the conservative side with the car's ratings, so it has additional "wiggle room" to play a numbers game with the ratings if/when it adds additional fuel saving features.

In other words: I don't think the Mirage's combined EPA rating is under threat in the near future.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (08-01-2014)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Although I really think that other car makers excels in the body build quality. I really hate rust and I have lot of it already! It's a new car FFS!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

^ that's only if they actually go into mass production. I'm skeptical.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love the look and drive of Most Mazdas, and have owned several... But here is why I do not buy new Mazda's

Mazda warrants that new Mazda cars and trucks will be free of defects with normal use and prescribed maintenance for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Ordinary maintenance items, adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and certain other items are excluded. This transferable "limited warranty" is included on all new Mazda vehicles sold and serviced in the United States.

3-year/36,000-mile* "Bumper-to-Bumper" Limited Warranty
    5-year/60,000-mile* Limited Powertrain Warranty
    3-year/36,000-mile* 24/7 Roadside Assistance Program
    * Whichever comes first.

Mitsubishi has a much better warranty... I put on 30,000 + miles per year

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    In Australia we have the Suzuki Alto that is rated at 4.5 l/100klm verses the Mirage hatch at 4.6 l/100klm so Mirage is already behind in fuel economy. And Suzuki will be releasing there replacement for the Alto called the Celerio early 2015 that I have read should have an economy rating around 3.7ish l/100klm

Here are some Quotes from this article http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...74649129,d.dGc

CELERIO, a new global compact car, is having its European premiere at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2014.

Suzuki, the small car expert is presenting a new type of A-segment vehicle - an “A+ compact” featuring an ideal package which exceeds customer’s expectations.

It retains the trademark compact car ease of drive, while providing an interior space that surpasses that of conventional A-segment cars as well as a class-leading*1 luggage capacity of 254L*2. It also boasts a new engine and new transmissions and offers best-in-class*1 low CO2 emissions, low fuel consumption and lively drive. All these elements have been packed into a dynamically-styled package with a unique colour line-up.
    In addition to adopting a new power train, Suzuki has pursued considerable weight reductions and aerodynamic performance in order to achieve a class-leading*1 low CO2 emissions of 85g/km without compromising dynamic performance
    The newly developed 1.0-litre K10C petrol engine features major advances in thermal efficiency resulting from the improved compression ratio, the adoption of a dual-injection system, and friction reduction, and achieves a high-level balance between dynamic performance and fuel efficiency.

While optimising the compression ratio to convert fuel energy to mechanical energy efficiently, Suzuki has adopted a cooled EGR system and piston cooling jets to suppress uncontrolled combustion knocking, pre-ignition. Combustion efficiency has also been enhanced through the adoption of a dual-injection system and a bowl-shaped piston crown. In the pursuit of ultimate thermal efficiency, Suzuki has also utilised a variety of friction reduction technologies, such as the implementation of roller-rocker type valve lifters to reduce mechanical resistance and loss of energy in the engine.

·Newly developed 5-speed manual transmission

A 5-speed manual transmission has enhanced both fuel efficiency and smooth shifting. To boost efficiency, torque loss has been reduced by 40% by the reduction of oil volume and the installation of low-loss bearings.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jamiec For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-04-2014)

Jamie: interesting!

The newly developed 1.0-litre K10C petrol engine
    Mitsu will have to make its 1.0L available in Australia if it wants to keep ahead of Suzuki.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yes Metro that would be interesting if Mitsu gave us the 1l option. Bring on the competition I say as it will help in getting more manufactures to give us more economical cars. It is about time they started getting more competitive on the economy front as they have now packed so much stuff into cars as well as safety I guess this is there new battle ground.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Although I really think that other car makers excels in the body build quality. I really hate rust and I have lot of it already! It's a new car FFS!
    Your Mirage is rusting?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Madison320 For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (06-17-2016)