Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Jalopnik Nissan Micra vs Mitsubishi Mirage

Name:  micra-mirage-oppo.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  64.3 KB

This writer takes a Micra for a spin and then immediately takes a Mirage for a test drive right after. This is his comparison. To my surprise, he likes the Mirage more. Usually, auto reviewers tend to like the more horsepower zippy cars. Though, he did test a Micra with an automatic transmission and a Mirage with a 5 speed manual.

****box Showdown: Nissan Micra vs Mitsubishi Mirage

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    S***box ....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I still think the Mirage looks better. I drove through a Nissan dealer the other day, they make some funky looking cars haha.

That is a hilarious write-up.

I think he missed the mark on the handling differences though: the Micra's stock steering & suspension is much more buttoned down (Mitsu needs to address this). The wee Nissan is unquestionably more fun in the corners (better steering feel & faster ratio, front and rear standard sway bars, meatier tires).

FYI for our U.S. members (who don't get the Micra): the 1.6L Canadian Micra reviewed is essentially the same as a Versa Note hatch. The Note is just a bit longer and has different styling. But they share the exact same drivetrain/mechanicals & much of the dash/interior.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Always worth reading for the comments over there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I think he missed the mark on the handling differences though: the Micra's stock steering & suspension is much more buttoned down (Mitsu needs to address this). The wee Nissan is unquestionably more fun in the corners (better steering feel & faster ratio, front and rear standard sway bars, meatier tires).
    I do agree with your first statement, but not the second. Why does this feel like dejavu?!?

Either way, have you driven on a road race track? I have and have driven a few cars on a few tracks. No matter what car I drive, when on the track, my steering does not go over 100* angle. If I do, that means I entered the corner too fast and there is some understeer going on and I'm compensating by turning the wheels more than they should.

While it does help to have a tighter steering ratio, the sportiness of steering IMO has to do more with steering weight, which has been nulled by electric assist, and in the Mirage's case, really light and skinny tires. The skinny tires also does not help with the suspension. A bigger rim radius means less sidewall on the tires, which, believe it or not, actually translate into better (harder) suspension.

Finally, with both cars, you're going to have to ask yourself: is it easier to mod the mirage and make it drive better or is it easier to mod the micra to get better MPG?

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Either way, have you driven on a road race track?
    Yup. Blown more money than I'd care to think about on racing & skid schools & lapping days.

While it does help to have a tighter steering ratio, the sportiness of steering IMO has to do more with steering weight, which has been nulled by electric assist, and in the Mirage's case, really light and skinny tires. The skinny tires also does not help with the suspension. A bigger rim radius means less sidewall on the tires, which, believe it or not, actually translate into better (harder) suspension.
    My point only is that out of the box, the Micra is better to drive for all those reasons and more. Reviewers are not trashing the Micra for its steering/handling.

Finally, with both cars, you're going to have to ask yourself: is it easier to mod the mirage and make it drive better or is it easier to mod the micra to get better MPG?
    Excellent point.

But it doesn't change the fact that the Mirage's stock steering, suspension & tire setup have earned it a lot of nasty criticism that its direct competitors don't receive. And there would be no MPG penalty if Mitsu tightened up the steering & suspension.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And there would be no MPG penalty if Mitsu tightened up the steering & suspension.
    There will be if you equip it with 185 wide tires - which I've pointed out, is enough to make a hell-of-a-lot of difference.

I've lost two-three MPG to say the least.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yup. Blown more money than I'd care to think about on racing & skid schools & lapping days.

My point only is that out of the box, the Micra is better to drive for all those reasons and more. Reviewers are not trashing the Micra for its steering/handling.

Excellent point.

But it doesn't change the fact that the Mirage's stock steering, suspension & tire setup have earned it a lot of nasty criticism that its direct competitors don't receive. And there would be no MPG penalty if Mitsu tightened up the steering & suspension.
    But would, if any of those changes create a harsher ride?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    But would, if any of those changes create a harsher ride?
    Yep, that's the trade off.