Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mounting a subwoofer under passenger seat

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Progress!! But only just a little. I can't work very long before my foot starts to bother me, so I'll only get to work a little each day.

I now have the bottom of the box cut out and fitted to the car!! It required a lot more cuts and corners than I was expecting. I took a few pics and will post them in a later post. With the seat all the way back, you can only see the box from the back seats if you lean WAY down, and even then you can barely see it. With sitting in the back seat and my size 10 shoe, I could put the back of my foot as far back as I can and I still have about 2" between the tip of my shoes and the box.

Instead of building a regular box that has a top, bottom, and sides made out of separate pieces of wood, I am going to have to build this box differently. I am going to have to build layers up as the sides will not be straight up and down. So, to get as much air space as possible, and to give more physical room for the sub, this box will be built differently than normal.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Here you can barely see the bottom edge of where the box will be. This is with the seat slid all the way back, and the camera was sitting on the back seat and aimed down.

My work bench is an unopened flexible 18' 120 watt solar panel!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This would be a a great project. By the way what head unit are you going to use in your audio project?

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by callwalker View Post
    This would be a a great project. By the way what head unit are you going to use in your audio project?

For right now, I am keeping the stock headunit.

I have a pair of Infinity 6032si 6 1/2" speakers to go up front. With their 2 ohm impedence it will help to get a bit more power to them. The back speakers for now are still stock, and I will be wiring up a line level converter to the rear speakers which will feed signal to the subwoofer amp.

I am mounting the sub amp and a 400 watt power inverter under the driver's seat which leaves no more room for another amp under the driver's seat. Down the road, I might add one of those Alpine, behind the dash 4 channel amps to power the front and rear speakers. At that time I'll probably change the factory radio out.

I am working on a very limited budget right now. So because of that, I can only do a little bit at a time. Right now, I've got about $100 invested in everything. That is the front Infinity speakers, the Polk Audio 8" sub, the line level converter, and a big sheet of ABS plastic so I can make my own speaker brackets. I traded an old Sony Xplod 1000 watt amp that I got for free for my JL Audio sub amp, the speaker wire I have picked up from garage sales for dirt cheap (I bought 50 feet of flat Monster Cable speaker wire for $1), and I picked up 25 feet of 4 gauge wire from the local junk yard for $10.

I never pay retail!

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    More progress! I now have all the layers of the box drawn out on a sheet of 3/4" HDF. Either on Saturday or on Monday I will start cutting out the layers. Then I need to seal each layer together and then screw them together. After that, I will sand the outside down and then paint the box black so it will blend in with the floor.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    For right now, I am keeping the stock headunit.

I have a pair of Infinity 6032si 6 1/2" speakers to go up front. With their 2 ohm impedence it will help to get a bit more power to them. The back speakers for now are still stock, and I will be wiring up a line level converter to the rear speakers which will feed signal to the subwoofer amp.

I am mounting the sub amp and a 400 watt power inverter under the driver's seat which leaves no more room for another amp under the driver's seat. Down the road, I might add one of those Alpine, behind the dash 4 channel amps to power the front and rear speakers. At that time I'll probably change the factory radio out.

I am working on a very limited budget right now. So because of that, I can only do a little bit at a time. Right now, I've got about $100 invested in everything. That is the front Infinity speakers, the Polk Audio 8" sub, the line level converter, and a big sheet of ABS plastic so I can make my own speaker brackets. I traded an old Sony Xplod 1000 watt amp that I got for free for my JL Audio sub amp, the speaker wire I have picked up from garage sales for dirt cheap (I bought 50 feet of flat Monster Cable speaker wire for $1), and I picked up 25 feet of 4 gauge wire from the local junk yard for $10.

I never pay retail!
    That is nice to know... I hope to copy your set up once I have a budget!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Love the boot.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Love the boot.

Hopefully I'll only be wearing it for another week or so.

My wife is in the middle of doing laundry in the garage so no cutting is going to be done today. I don't think she would be too happy with clean clothes getting a nice coat of saw dust!

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The box has now been cut out! All the pieces are now sitting in my garage and waiting for me to start putting them together.

Here is a picture of the box laid out and stacked how it will be in the car, but I kept the top off so you can see the layers and how I had to build it.

So you can see that the back wall (towards the top of the picture) is not flat. I designed the box to fit around the rearward seat mount in order to gain some much needed air space.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-22-2014),MetroMPG (09-04-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Looks great! Will you be sharing plans/drawings once its done? That would be really useful to others who would like to follow your design.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)