Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone change their own oil?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @ Backspace:

Drain plug will require a socket size of 17mm.

Those ramps you mention that are 6" tall will be fine. Part of my oil change disaster story is that I wound up having to resort to something I knew was really stupid and dangerous. I wound up using scissor jacks only on both front pinch welds to get the car up. Besides illustrating my desperation and stupidity, I bring the story up only to say that I did not have to go insanely high with them to get enough clearance.

The plastic rhino ramps when I first checked them out scared me. I had a really hard time believing they could be rated at over 10k lbs. This is why I'm setting up my failsafe of jacks on the pinch welds at the same time.

-Charlie-

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks again, Charlie And I see a few people use jacks to do oil changes, but I've never felt safe under a car with it jacked up.. I like the tires to be resting on something She rolls off the ramps, hopefully I have enough time and enough space while it rolls back to get out from under it. She slips off a jack, and there's no question I'd have one heck of a headache Shouldn't be long now. Just a few more weeks and I'll have my Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-space View Post
    Thanks again, Charlie And I see a few people use jacks to do oil changes, but I've never felt safe under a car with it jacked up.. I like the tires to be resting on something She rolls off the ramps, hopefully I have enough time and enough space while it rolls back to get out from under it. She slips off a jack, and there's no question I'd have one heck of a headache Shouldn't be long now. Just a few more weeks and I'll have my Mirage

From my years working as a mechanic, any time you are under a vehicle working, for safety, have more than just one item holding the vehicle up. I invested in a couple of floor jack stands that by themselves are more than adequate to hold the entire weight of the car off the ground. However, there needs to be a backup, just in case. So, I always leave the floor jack raised in place, pumped up with a bit of weight still on the jack, and it locked into place. This way, if the jack stand falls, the jack is a backup. If the jack falls, the jack stand is there as a backup.

Getting under a 2,000 pound vehicle should not be a laughing matter. It can kill you, and people have in fact died from not being safe, or from a device failing that they thought was safe. However, if the proper steps are taken, you minimize the risk and make working on your own car MUCH safer.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Back-space (08-26-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Okay. I thought I was understanding this well enough but this thread (http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...c7c974e9c1en02) has made me think otherwise What's with all the different filters? If I was looking at K&N, are they a good brand? Oil plug torque(does this matter?), oil filter torque(I thought you could just tighten by hand) Can someone give me a crash course, or direct me to a crash course in changing oil on this car? If I was to look at a high quality filter and synthetic oil, what would I be looking at?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay. I thought I was understanding this well enough but this thread (http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...c7c974e9c1en02) has made me think otherwise What's with all the different filters? If I was looking at K&N, are they a good brand? Oil plug torque(does this matter?), oil filter torque(I thought you could just tighten by hand) Can someone give me a crash course, or direct me to a crash course in changing oil on this car? If I was to look at a high quality filter and synthetic oil, what would I be looking at?
    I'm a little confused. I followed the link you put up..it goes to a subwoofer shaped like an NOS tank. (???)

I know the K&N filters you were looking at. From what I read, those are basically Mobil1 filters with the protrusion on the end so you can use a normal wrench to get it loose. Just from what I read, so take that with a grain of salt.

The drain plug torque is not necessary to be exact (save yourself the torque wrench). Just tighten it with a normal hand tool rachet, and make it snug (NOT overly tight!).

Oil filter. Just get it on there hand tight. Then use oil filter wrench to get around ~3/4 revolution more tight and you'll be good.

It's what I did and I'm not leaking oil everywhere 2000 miles later.

Good luck!

-Charlie-

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    I'm a little confused. I followed the link you put up..it goes to a subwoofer shaped like an NOS tank. (???)

I know the K&N filters you were looking at. From what I read, those are basically Mobil1 filters with the protrusion on the end so you can use a normal wrench to get it loose. Just from what I read, so take that with a grain of salt.

The drain plug torque is not necessary to be exact (save yourself the torque wrench). Just tighten it with a normal hand tool rachet, and make it snug (NOT overly tight!).

Oil filter. Just get it on there hand tight. Then use oil filter wrench to get around ~3/4 revolution more tight and you'll be good.

It's what I did and I'm not leaking oil everywhere 2000 miles later.

Good luck!

-Charlie-
    Sorry! I meant to link to the oil filter thread I'm currently running the the same oil from purchase(450km in) and am looking to change at 1500km, but want a top of the line synthetic oil and filter. Costs almost $80 an oil change over here, so I can likely spend close to that for better product if I do it myself What do other people use here for oil and filter? Is the K&N HP-1010 used with synthetic? Gah! I'm sure I'm a nuisance. I just want to protect my baby as best I can No such thing as too much information. Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Sorry! I meant to link to the oil filter thread I'm currently running the the same oil from purchase(450km in) and am looking to change at 1500km, but want a top of the line synthetic oil and filter. Costs almost $80 an oil change over here, so I can likely spend close to that for better product if I do it myself What do other people use here for oil and filter? Is the K&N HP-1010 used with synthetic? Gah! I'm sure I'm a nuisance. I just want to protect my baby as best I can No such thing as too much information. Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated!
    If you meant my thread here, it was meant to be a post for my reference to gather all my thoughts about the different major oil filters as I learn about them, and to rank them according to my preferences.

K&N is generally a very good brand, but it's not one I would use right now because none are officially listed for the Mirage, which might bring into play warranty questions if one of their filters is used and should fail.

Oil plug torque is very important ... too loose and the oil can drip out of the car as you drive down the road, self-destructing the engine ... too tight and the bolt can warp the oil pan, also causing a potential leak or expensive repair down the road.

Oil filter torque is a little less important ... you can turn the filter 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn after the gasket makes contact with the base and it should be sufficient.

The best fully synthetic filter warrantied for the Mirage IMO is the Mobil1 M1-110, and if I were to use fully synthetic oil, I'd use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with its low NOACK and its ACEA certifications .. but I'm a conventional oil kinda guy, so I'm using Pennzoil Conventional (Yellow Bottle) with a Wix 51356 after my break in period

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Not a nuisance at all! I'm the exact same way with the car! People at work probably think I'm weird caring so much for such a 'cheap' car. I read up for about 3 weeks before deciding on what oil and oil filter to settle on.

Anyways, what I or anyone else uses are preferences, so there obviously is no right answer here.

I can tell you what I use: Oil Filter: Mobil1, M1-110, Oil: Mobil1, Advanced Fuel Economy (I will be moving 'up' to Mobil1 Extended Performance though).

From what I've gathered, stemming from a certain lawsuit involving Castrol, the decision from that resulted in blends whose base oils are primarily Group III, to be able to be labeled as synthetic instead of Group IV. So now when you see synthetic on a bottle, you have to wonder (the cheaper priced synthetics are more than likely Group III).

I haven't researched all of Mobil1's blends to confirm since I'm not interested in getting all of them. But looking at the specs for Mobil1's Fully Synthetic: Extended Performance, I feel confident the base oil derives primarily from Group IV stock. No amount of fancy additive package will get the flash point of the oil that high as it shows for the EP.

Take the info for what it's worth. For many people utilizing dino (group II), moving up to a cheap synthetic (Group III) would already be a quantum leap. So with that, just trying to say that hey, in all likelihood, a cheaper group III synth will more than suit their needs. Ultimately, the decision is yours.

Addendum: The oil that cookiemonster references (Pennzoil Ultra Plat) has piqued my interest. Apparently oil deriving from natural gas. VERY interesting! I have absolutely no idea however, what advantages (if any) there would be in going with a group III or IV synth to a synth coming from natural gas. Maybe better for the planet. There's a ton of natural gas whereas only ~1% of every barrel is utilized to get our automotive base oils.

-Charlie-

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Okay, okay... Bear with me So a Mobil1 M1-110 filter is what I'd be asking for at our local parts store. Now for the oil! I'm on the Mobil1 site, and the Mobil1 Extended Performance doesn't seem to be available in 0W-20. So what would you pay in oil with the Advanced Fuel Economy Mobil there, Charlie? Hoping to keep it under $80 as I'm no rolling in money here, but I want the best I can get for her within that price Looking into the Pennzoil, too

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Pennzoil looks interesting... Wish I had an idea of price for these oils. Anyhow! I could spend all night researching oil, but I gotta be up for work in 6 hours Talk to you guys later...