Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone change their own oil?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Anyone change their own oil?

Does anyone here change their own oil? I've been thinking of doing this myself to save a little money while using a higher grade oil/filter, but I've never done this before. I've watched a few videos online and it seems easy enough Are there any tips, suggestions or concerns about changing your own oil? I'm planning on using ramps instead of jacking the car up. People say that's not as safe, but I don't see it :s

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    It's easy to do yourself, I just don't know where to dispose of the old oil

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't see how ramping is any less safe... It may be tricky getting it up (no pun intended) but if the ramps are secured, and the car is secured when on the ramps, everything should be fine. At least that's my opinion.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yes, I've changed mine a couple of times now. Here are a few forum links about oil & the Mirage that might help:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...il-Viscosities
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...er-Part-Number
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthread.php/1670-10w-30
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...rst-Oil-Change
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...s-there-really
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...Change-Results

I don't like to use ramps - the plastic and aluminum ones do not inspire confidence in me, and even with steel, it can be difficult to properly align the tires onto them .. and then I'd still have to worry about running past the edge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Ive changed my oil for as long as Ive had cars. Jacks (with stands) or ramps work just fine. The rest is really easy to do and doesnt even require much time. I would definitely encourage you to try it for yourself.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The first time you do it, you will get dirty, oily, and frustrated. Just expect it. After you do it once though, you will start to get the hang of it and it won't take as long the next time.

I worked as a mechanic for years so I'd rather buy my own oil and filter and pay someone else to do it!!
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used to change my own oil all the time, but as I aged I found it getting harder and harder. Plus I now live at a condo where it is not allowed.
    Another reason is I have good record for warranty purposes.

P.S. Hey 91 hows your foot doing?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Does anyone know what size the filter is? I was looking at filter wrenches today should I not be able to get it off and I'm not sure of the size

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oil Filter Wrench: 65-67mm, 14 flute (requires 3/8 inch driver)

Oh good lord, did I EVER change my oil! Lol, it was my first oil change on the car..quite the disaster, but I am still glad I went through it. Learned a TON. Actually can't wait to do my next one since I know how to make everything a lot smoother.

Anyways, what I learned that may help you.

Reaching the front jack point with a hydraulic jack requires an unusually long one. I had a full size one and I was still short by quite a bit! That's the main thing that made my job so hard, the tool I was depending on to get my car up safely onto jack stands was an impossibility.

Unless you have a really long hyd jack, forget the jack stand route. DEFINITELY go the ramp route. I myself will be buying some good ramps for next oil change.

To be extra safe (I'm going to do it), after getting my car up on the ramps, I am going to set up jacks on both front pinch welds to serve as a failsafe.

My oil sump drainbolt was torqued on INSANELY tight!!! I have recovering scar on my left pinky to remind of that particular struggle. Some people have reported the opposite, drainbolt was on normal, but the oil filter was hell to get off. Hopefully both your filter and drainbolt are on at a normal torque spec.

Well, good luck, let us know how it goes!

-Charlie-

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

Back-space (08-09-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Oil Filter Wrench: 65-67mm, 14 flute (requires 3/8 inch driver)

Oh good lord, did I EVER change my oil! Lol, it was my first oil change on the car..quite the disaster, but I am still glad I went through it. Learned a TON. Actually can't wait to do my next one since I know how to make everything a lot smoother.

Anyways, what I learned that may help you.

Reaching the front jack point with a hydraulic jack requires an unusually long one. I had a full size one and I was still short by quite a bit! That's the main thing that made my job so hard, the tool I was depending on to get my car up safely onto jack stands was an impossibility.

Unless you have a really long hyd jack, forget the jack stand route. DEFINITELY go the ramp route. I myself will be buying some good ramps for next oil change.

To be extra safe (I'm going to do it), after getting my car up on the ramps, I am going to set up jacks on both front pinch welds to serve as a failsafe.

My oil sump drainbolt was torqued on INSANELY tight!!! I have recovering scar on my left pinky to remind of that particular struggle. Some people have reported the opposite, drainbolt was on normal, but the oil filter was hell to get off. Hopefully both your filter and drainbolt are on at a normal torque spec.

Well, good luck, let us know how it goes!

-Charlie-
    Thanks guys! What size wrench do I need for the drain bolt? Trying to get everything figured out before I get under there. I also got a set of ramps that are rated for 12 000 pounds (think I should be fine putting a Mirage on there ) that are about 6 tall or so. Hoping that's going to give me enough room to fit under the car