Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Review notes: testing a 2015 Mirage CVT on loan for a week

Thanks for the clarification - none of the conventional slushboxes I've driven recently are new enough to do that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Definitely agree with andrew.

That's why I hate the new 'paddle shift' slushboxes as they're programmed VERY conservatively so there's no way to keep the RPMs on the top range - for race driving.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Here are a few images of the interior. The pictures make it look grey, but its black.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Definitely agree with andrew.

That's why I hate the new 'paddle shift' slushboxes as they're programmed VERY conservatively so there's no way to keep the RPMs on the top range - for race driving.
    Anything with sporting pretensions is generally pretty accommodating. I generally prefer manuals in <2-liter cars, but the new 8-speed automatics in BMWs and other sporty cars are so good that I could be tempted to get one. They will hold a gear to redline, rev match when you downshift, will let you bang into the rev limiter if you want and will downshift whenever you tell it to as long as it doesn't over-rev the engine.

In my experience, Mazdas and sportier Hondas behave the same way, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Here are a few images of the interior. The pictures make it look grey, but its black.
    I laugh every time I look at that flat-as-a-board rear seat cushion. There's no other car with anything like that (in Canada, anyway).

Fortunately, it's fine to sit on, despite how uncomfy it looks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I was surprised how comfy it was. Its not luxurious or anything, but its definitely not uncomfortable at all.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Go mirage Go spread the fever mirage the cvt is great.I heard a video from c.h.hills Mitsubishi in FL that they improved the cvt for 2015 ck it out also when you come to a complete stop. At a stop sign and then go you will avoid the clunk.what I do is when I come to a stop and the light changes before I stop I slowly give it gas and you don't hear that sound
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

first weekend -- impressions

After the first weekend with the Mirage, I'm really liking it. I have about 70 miles on it as of this morning. Here are some thoughts:

-- The gas mileage is almost ridiculously good. So far, the scangauge says I'm averaging 46 mpg. I take a lot of shorter trips, and keeping the mileage up on those short trips is difficult, but the Mirage makes it fairly easy. I'm also really not pushing the car to get crazy good mileage either.

-- The CVT isn't my favorite transmission, but I really like how its programmed. Its very efficiently minded. When accelerating it will rev up, but as soon as it sees that you aren't pushing it for more power (about 2 seconds maybe), it will settle the rpms down and increase engine load. This increases engine efficiency and thus mpg. I definitely am liking it more than a traditional automatic transmission.

-- Its quite comfortable. I haven't taken it on any long trips, but I'm very comfortable in the car.

-- The suspension isn't that bad. Yeah, it rolls in corners, but honestly this car is a daily driver and it soaks up the bumps very well for a car its size. I think I'd put a rear sway bar on the car if I had one, but I really am enjoying how it handles otherwise. That would eliminate a decent amount of roll, but still give you the nice smooth ride.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

TheProfessorKMB (03-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for update . Pictures of gas mileage be a good addition . The REAR SWAY BAR should be standard like that of most small cars . MITSUBISHI , are you seeing this ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wish they offered those gray/black seats instead of the purple I have.