Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change & Car Wash Questions

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    I prefer hand washes, but then again I worked for an automatic wash and saw how much damage we did to cars on a daily basis. Next job was half hand and half automatic, and our equipment was very gentle. Little mom and pop type place in Oregon called Star Car Wash. If you're ever in Lebanon, tell Andy that his old employee Michael sent you.

As for oil changes, I think I did the first at 800 miles (got the car with 236) and the second at 3600.

The automatic car washes are scary. The brushes are full of crud and they just destroy the paint.

Around here, they recycle water. Isn't terrible in the summer, but in the winter, you bring your car to one of those car washes and it gets sprayed with salt water ...

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Just follow what the dealer is recommending which is 3,000 to avoid any problem with the warranty. About the car wash check out rinseless car wash, its cheaper and safer compared with a regular wash.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by callwalker View Post
    Just follow what the dealer is recommending which is 3,000 to avoid any problem with the warranty. About the car wash check out rinseless car wash, its cheaper and safer compared with a regular wash.
    Your dealer recommended 3k intervals?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the great input.

The service department at the dealer I got the car from told me 3K and also stated that the Mirage requires Synthetic Oil at every change at $69.95 per change. Something is rotten in Osaka with this one because with the miles I drive I would be changing the oil every six weeks.

Going to check with other dealers in the area.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would definitely check with other dealers. The price does reflect the use of at least synthetic blend in which, 5k intervals are definitely doable. If you do a full synthetic, I'd check what the specific oil brand's suggested intervals are and decide for yourself. I've seen 7.5k full synthetic oil changes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I would definitely check with other dealers. The price does reflect the use of at least synthetic blend in which, 5k intervals are definitely doable. If you do a full synthetic, I'd check what the specific oil brand's suggested intervals are and decide for yourself. I've seen 7.5k full synthetic oil changes.
    Thanks, I have also heard 7,500 and even to 10K for the synthetic.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aubuyer View Post
    Thanks for all the great input.

The service department at the dealer I got the car from told me 3K and also stated that the Mirage requires Synthetic Oil at every change at $69.95 per change. Something is rotten in Osaka with this one because with the miles I drive I would be changing the oil every six weeks.

Going to check with other dealers in the area.
    3k is more frequent than what the manual itself recommends, under severe or normal service.
    The manual also doesn't say that it requires synthetic. I'm happily running conventional oil on my Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    3k is more frequent than what the manual itself recommends, under severe or normal service.
    The manual also doesn't say that it requires synthetic. I'm happily running conventional oil on my Mirage.
    I just off the phone with a service manager, he told me with the type mileage I am doing 7,500 is fine. Synthetic is good if I want it, they won't make me feel like its required.

I'll be going to them when the time comes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My uncle works as a tech at toyota and he told me that they recommend 0w-20 @ 10k and 5w-20 @ 5k intervals. Wish I have an insider from mitsu to finally clear things up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Between oil change and car washes, I think the engine is more important lol.

But if it makes you feel any better, this is my thought on the car wash question:

What were the primary countries that the mirage was to be sold at?
    - developing countries

How many automated car washes do they have there?
    - In the Philippines (back when I was there) not alot, if any

That being said, I don't think the paint and everything in the mirage is made for automated car washes. I do know that the auto companies here in the US, as part of their development, test in high pressure washes for leaks and such.

What I do:
    The ease of cleanliness was part a reason why I chose a silver car. It takes a hell of a lot more to make a silver car look dirty than a darker colored car. I would, at the very least, alternate auto washing and hand washing. My reason: auto washing can just take so much dirt out. When I wash my car by hand, it's spotless. When I auto wash, it gets most of the dirt out, but not all.

Also, there are "touchless" car washes that only pressure wash and lather - NO bristles, brushes, or whatever rotating thing. If you don't have bug problems in your state, this may work.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

aubuyer (08-22-2014)