Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change & Car Wash Questions

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Oil Change & Car Wash Questions

I have had my ES about 10 days now and I truly love it.

Two things I need to know:

1) The dealer says 3,000 for the oil changes, the book says 7,500. I drive about 500 miles a week back and forth to work and it's highway at 65/70 mph. Another 50 on weekends in city on normal speed limit roads.)

What's really best for the car? I am accustomed to a 7,500/10,000 cycle on previous vehicles.

2) Is it okay to use a good commercial car wash or should I take time and do it myself? Have an issue with my right hand but I could do it.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice. If posted if the wrong place, please move or advise.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hey aubuyer, welcome and good to hear that you love your new vehicle. Here's my piece of mind:
    1) Mine's at 31.000 KM now, did my first change at 20.000 km. I ldid called the dealer and they strongly discourage me to refresh my oil earlier as he convinced me that oils are of excellent quality nowadays.
    2) I always run my car thru commercial car wash, up to the point that I added so many add on chromes and shark fin antenna (fake) that if I ever run it thru car wash everything will get washed away. I wash it manually using a high pressured water or Meguiar's wash and wax anywhere spray.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    1. Sounds like you should think about going on the manufacturer's "normal" change schedule, which is 7,500 miles. 3,000 miles per OCI would likely be just a waste of money for you.

2. I like commerical car washes ... as long as it is touchless & doesn't use recycled water.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll be doing my first oil change at 3,000 miles just to get the factory fill oil out of there after it has had time to do most of the break in of the engine. After that, I'm going to be changing my oil at 5,000 mile intervals because my commute is pretty short (11 miles which I drive 4 times a day) so the motor doesn't spend much time being fully warmed up. A couple of times a month though, I'll take it out on the highway to get the engine up to speed and allow the engine to help burn off any impurities.

The old 3,000 mile oil change interval is no longer needed. The engines in cars today have a LOT closer tolerances than in engines made 30 years ago. The oil has also gotten a lot better than it was 30 years ago too. When you are using synthetic oil (which the owners manual reccomends), changing it every 3,000 miles is a waste of your money. Changing it every 10,000 miles or longer will require engine oil analysis to see how well the oil is doing, and if 10,000 mile changes are safe. Everyone's commute is different so what works good for one person might not work for another.

With your commute, I am sure that 7,500 mile intervals would be ok.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    I'll be doing my first oil change at 3,000 miles just to get the factory fill oil out of there after it has had time to do most of the break in of the engine. After that, I'm going to be changing my oil at 5,000 mile intervals because my commute is pretty short (11 miles which I drive 4 times a day) so the motor doesn't spend much time being fully warmed up. A couple of times a month though, I'll take it out on the highway to get the engine up to speed and allow the engine to help burn off any impurities.

The old 3,000 mile oil change interval is no longer needed. The engines in cars today have a LOT closer tolerances than in engines made 30 years ago. The oil has also gotten a lot better than it was 30 years ago too. When you are using synthetic oil (which the owners manual reccomends), changing it every 3,000 miles is a waste of your money. Changing it every 10,000 miles or longer will require engine oil analysis to see how well the oil is doing, and if 10,000 mile changes are safe. Everyone's commute is different so what works good for one person might not work for another.

With your commute, I am sure that 7,500 mile intervals would be ok.
    This is what I'm leaning towards for the oil also. Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    1. Sounds like you should think about going on the manufacturer's "normal" change schedule, which is 7,500 miles. 3,000 miles per OCI would likely be just a waste of money for you.

2. I like commerical car washes ... as long as it is touchless & doesn't use recycled water.

Touchless and no recycled water, got it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My dealer**** told me to do 5k oil changes. Not sure what the temps are there, but here in TX, we reach mid 90's to 100's. If the stealership is fine doing 5k oil changes, I'll stick to that. I will check my oil at 4k and decide then as I abuse my cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    My dealer**** told me to do 5k oil changes. Not sure what the temps are there, but here in TX, we reach mid 90's to 100's. If the stealership is fine doing 5k oil changes, I'll stick to that. I will check my oil at 4k and decide then as I abuse my cars.
    It gets hot here in GA but not for as long of a period as it does in TX. I lived in Port A for awhile and sure liked it there!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    5000 or follow the book at 7500.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I prefer hand washes, but then again I worked for an automatic wash and saw how much damage we did to cars on a daily basis. Next job was half hand and half automatic, and our equipment was very gentle. Little mom and pop type place in Oregon called Star Car Wash. If you're ever in Lebanon, tell Andy that his old employee Michael sent you.

As for oil changes, I think I did the first at 800 miles (got the car with 236) and the second at 3600.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)