Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Aerodynamics of the new Mirage (0.27-0.31 drag coefficient varies with options)

Country
    Italy
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I wanted confirmation for the calculation of the CDA drag
    area -> 1,665 x 1,490 x0,84 -> 2.083914
    cda -> area x cd (0.27) -> 0.5626 is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by giana View Post
    1,665 x 1,490 x0,84 -> 2.083914
    Instead of the W x H x 0.84 estimate you used, I analyzed a technical drawing of the car to get a frontal area of 2.04 square meters (21.97 square ft). See post #6:

With that number, my drag area (CdA) calculation was 0.551 sq. m (5.93 sq. ft).

A little lower than the W x H x 0.84 method.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDE5Spd View Post
    I've seen suggestions that lowering the car could improve the drag. If this is true, does anyone know or have an inclination the impact of a 1 inch lowering kit would have?
    The downside is you run the risk of bottoming out. That's another thing I like about the Mirage. It seems like it has decent clearance for a small car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe get some sort of air-ride that could be lowered for the highway and raised over speed bumps and such. Also, if possible, the system should have a feature that allows the car to bounce and dance and such.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Maybe get some sort of air-ride that could be lowered for the highway and raised over speed bumps and such. Also, if possible, the system should have a feature that allows the car to bounce and dance and such.
    Yeah, but remember, the idea is to save money. Stuff like that adds to the initial cost and maintenance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Although this is a good idea, remember that Air Ride also adds tanks and hoses in and around the car. W/C adds weight.

IMHO a coilover is best as you can adjust the ride height, compression, and dampening. Not to mention that it will give you the ability to carve corners like a pro.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Won't stop me from putting airbags on my ride. Gonna scrape pavement, y0.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    I'm trying to figure this thread out.
    Thread title says 0.27 to 0.31
    Other than grille block differences and wheels according to modell, what else makes the difference?

I have a european "naked" without the roof spoiler, but with two plastic trays on the underside and narrow tyres. Wondering how that fits in to the picture.

Some cars also don't get the "optimized" rocker panel trim.

So the factory Mirage with the highest Cd probably has: CVT (less grille blocking), no rear spoiler, alloy wheels, possibly no underbody panels, no rocker panel trim.

Yours probably fits in the middle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Hi all!

I'm new in this forum and I plan to buy a mirage.
    While comparing the different possible configurations for this car a question came up.
    I always guessed that the rear roof spoiler improves aerodynamics. But how is this explainable:
    The basic Model (without spoiler) has the same fuel consumption "extra urban" (german cycle: 3.6 l/100km) as the "PLUS" model with spoiler. Futhermore the maximum speed is the same (172 kph)
    That means, that roof spoiler has NO effect on the cd???
    I'm a litte confused....

greeting Martin