Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aerodynamics of the new Mirage (0.27-0.31 drag coefficient varies with options)

Country
    Italy
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    It's not going to be a huge difference. Realistically, the "aero" (curved down) spoiler probably improves highway speed fuel economy by a few percent, compared to no spoiler.

The "sport" type spoiler probably hurts fuel economy by a few percent vs. no spoiler.

Going from aero to sport would be the biggest change. Ballpark guess: 3-4% worse at highway speeds.
    Hello, I wanted to ask if the accessory sports kit (angular front, rear and side skirts) have an aerodynamic benefit? (0.27 to 0.30 cd)

Or just the basic version?
    thanks

The Japanese, U.K. & European Mirages with the 1.0 have the lowest Cd of 0.27, and they don't come with that kit as standard. So I'd say it's probably for styling more than anything.

Given the amount of effort Mitsu put into the car's aero design, if the optional pieces helped to reduce drag, I think they would (A) have it as standard equipment on the most efficient versions, and/or (B) advertise it as an optional drag-reducing kit for all models.

PS: welcome to the forum, giana. Are you a Mirage/Space Star owner?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by giana View Post
    Hello, I wanted to ask if the accessory sports kit (angular front, rear and side skirts) have an aerodynamic benefit? (0.27 to 0.30 cd)

Or just the basic version?

thanks
    I would not think so. But it looks good and I would not think it will affect gas mileage much with the little drag it may present.

If you want the best gas mileage the basic version has the best aerodynamics, that is my opinion.

Just for fun let's see what you can do to improve aerodynamics...

Make this car more aerodynamic

http://illumin.usc.edu/assets/media/1054/cardrag_v2.swf

As for body styling...

Mirage accessories

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/mirage/accessories

Welcome to the forum giana, Let us know if you decide to buy a Mirage if you have not bought one yet and
    let us know what you think.

Keep the Faith!

-Zxit
    Zxit say... It's a Mirage. LoL! But I love it.

Country
    Italy
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thank you for your response.
    I would buy the 1.0. These are optional

Please allow about?
    Can positively influence the aerodynamics?

1) Front Bumper Extension
    2) Rear Bumper Extensions
    3) sile sill extension
    Last edited by giana; 01-04-2014 at 06:35 PM.

The links don't work. Which option are you wondering about (post the name of the option).

If you were looking at...

Deflettori laterali antiturbolenza

I would not get those if you are concerned about drag reduction.

Just my opinion, but I don't think these parts would have a big impact, positive or negative:

Profili fendinebbia cromati

Minigonne laterali

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've seen suggestions that lowering the car could improve the drag. If this is true, does anyone know or have an inclination the impact of a 1 inch lowering kit would have?
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The links don't work. Which option are you wondering about (post the name of the option).

If you were looking at...

Deflettori laterali antiturbolenza

I would not get those if you are concerned about drag reduction
    I love my rain guards. Best thing ever invented.
    Leave windows down 2-3cm and come back on a hot day, and it isn't burning hot.
    Plus the advantage of being able to have them down in the pouring rain and not having the windows fog up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    I love my rain guards. Best thing ever invented.
    Leave windows down 2-3cm and come back on a hot day, and it isn't burning hot.
    Plus the advantage of being able to have them down in the pouring rain and not having the windows fog up.
    Thanks that is a good reason. My first two accessories will be...

Side Window Deflectors
    $802

and

Cargo Mat
    $752

Mirage accessories located...

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/mirage/accessories

Anyone say accessorize

-Zxit

Zxit say... It's a Mirage. LoL! But I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDE5Spd View Post
    I've seen suggestions that lowering the car could improve the drag. If this is true, does anyone know or have an inclination the impact of a 1 inch lowering kit would have?
    The effect will vary depending on the car (ie. There's no hard and fast rule).

But I have seen mentioned that a 1 inch drop = 0.01 improvement in drag coefficient (on an 80's Camaro, wind tunnel tested).

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-cd-24951.html

Ride height reduction is a common efficiency tactic on a wide range of cars... the 'eco' version is often lower than the regular model (e.g. Chevrolet Cruze, VW Golf), and dynamic ride height control is an option on more expensive cars to save fuel (eg. 2014 Dodge Ram pickup, Tesla Model S).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
    thanks Metro for that and yes we can add our own under body panels, and maybe able to order the panels from Mitsubishi?
    any one figured out how to order these? my ES has no under body cladding and i think it will also help reduce road noise by removing turbulence and adding a layer of material that sound has to go through.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)